Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Seoul match Tokyo and Hong Kong as a Travel Destination?
Yes 43 55.84%
No 34 44.16%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm very familiar with all three I lived in Seoul for 7 years, lived in Japan for 5 1/2 years (not Tokyo, but spent a lot of time in Tokyo as well), and now HK.

I like all 3 for completely different reasons. But, I think if I were to recommend a city to someone who has never been to Asia before, or not very well-traveled, or who doesn't have a specific interest or knowledge or awareness of Korea vs Japan vs HK.....

If, that were the case, than I'd recommend HONG KONG. Only because while all 3 have a lot to see and experience, if someone just doesn't know what they want to see and do, maybe Hong Kong is the easiest for someone unsure what they want to see and do.

I'll say that I loved living in Seoul, very much. But, it's very 'Korean', meaning that someone who just doesn't know anything whatsoever about Asia, Korea, Korean, etc. It might be overwhelming with a lot of confusion for them. Tokyo has even less English than Seoul, but the city is more world-class with more tourists, so it's probably easier to find 'tourist bubbles' while going around to sites and such. Hong Kong was a British colony for centuries, and while not a lot of English, it has more English than Tokyo, for sure.
I'd say Seoul is the least cosmopolitan among those three cities. Overall, I find Japan more cosmopolitan than most of Korea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 29,013 times
i have visited multiple times and/or lived in all those places. i'd recommend tokyo. get your money's worth. japanese people are the most polite. places are cleaner and better organized than the other cities you mentioned above.

if you like to get drunk with a lot of cheap alcohol, i recommend seoul. donna what kind of vacation you are looking for.

if you like to shop till you drop or particularly love chinese culture, i recommend hongkong.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
I'm very familiar with all three I lived in Seoul for 7 years, lived in Japan for 5 1/2 years (not Tokyo, but spent a lot of time in Tokyo as well), and now HK.

I like all 3 for completely different reasons. But, I think if I were to recommend a city to someone who has never been to Asia before, or not very well-traveled, or who doesn't have a specific interest or knowledge or awareness of Korea vs Japan vs HK.....

If, that were the case, than I'd recommend HONG KONG. Only because while all 3 have a lot to see and experience, if someone just doesn't know what they want to see and do, maybe Hong Kong is the easiest for someone unsure what they want to see and do.

I'll say that I loved living in Seoul, very much. But, it's very 'Korean', meaning that someone who just doesn't know anything whatsoever about Asia, Korea, Korean, etc. It might be overwhelming with a lot of confusion for them. Tokyo has even less English than Seoul, but the city is more world-class with more tourists, so it's probably easier to find 'tourist bubbles' while going around to sites and such. Hong Kong was a British colony for centuries, and while not a lot of English, it has more English than Tokyo, for sure.
I find it odd Tokyo has less English than Seoul, since it's more international/well-known.

Personally I find Tokyo and HK more interesting. I agree, a first time visitor should probably visit Hong Kong. It's the most westernised, and China is still the dominant cultural influence of the Far East, while Tokyo and Seoul are very Japanese and Korean.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I find it odd Tokyo has less English than Seoul, since it's more international/well-known.
Seoul/Koreans are obsessed about being 'better than Japan' and they are equally obsessed about English. They are doing everything they can to be recognized as international and such.

Japan has already arrived at that 'international' a long time ago, and people will want to go to Japan no matter what. They are just more comfortable 'as is'. Most Japanese just assume that if you are a foreigner in Japan, that you're probably so interested, that you've already learned some Japanese.

Koreans will always assume you know nothing about Korea or the Korean language, and will use that as a starting point when dealing with you.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Seoul/Koreans are obsessed about being 'better than Japan' and they are equally obsessed about English. They are doing everything they can to be recognized as international and such.

Japan has already arrived at that 'international' a long time ago, and people will want to go to Japan no matter what. They are just more comfortable 'as is'. Most Japanese just assume that if you are a foreigner in Japan, that you're probably so interested, that you've already learned some Japanese.

Koreans will always assume you know nothing about Korea or the Korean language, and will use that as a starting point when dealing with you.
Ah I see...it's funny how now Korea wants to be so global, when they were so nationalistic before (and probably still are). Not that the two don't go hand in hand come to think (e.g. America). Yes, Japan is still more popular and interesting. Korea also has a reputation for isolation, it was called the 'Hermit Kingdom.'

Old 01-20-2014, 02:49 AM

1 posts, read 15,925 times
Default Tokyo, hk, seoul

I am in HK and visited Tokyo 10 times and Seoul once .

The best among the 3 is Tokyo. The food, (the best in the world what with having the most michelin starred restos beating Paris). The Museums and the Gardens, the culture goes back thousands of years. The cleanliness and politeness. I traveled solo two times there and the japanese were really helpful although they will not tolerate rudeness. And the entertainment is BAR NONE!! One drawback, the people hardly speak English but they sure have a lot of sense of humor.

I have been there 10 tens and still haven't really seen all of Tokyo. I will be traveling there again this year during spring 2014

Seoul is just a Tokyo wannabee. Neither here nor there. The culture is in between Chinese and Japanese. The city is modern but there's nothing much to see. Food? Just kimchi ,kimchi and more kimchi

Hong Kong is okay. I have lived there since 2008. Much better than Seoul. Food is good too. English is not widely spoken either so make sure you get your destinations translated to Chinese

1-TOKYO
2- HONG KONG
3- SEOUL

Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM

440 posts, read 662,218 times
South Korea will continue to rise like China, still plenty of rooms for improvement even it is already an asian tiger before the Chinese economic reform. Japan's growth has been slow since the 90's. Koreans are generally better than the Japanese in english. South Korea really started to rise in prominence lately with the global Korean Wave and Korean brands.

Seoul, Tokyo and HK have different policies and development on tourism. Mainland Chinese visitors are the increasing and most lucurative source of all cities. Korean culture is far more popular than Japanese culture in Mainland China, both China and Korea are anti-Japanese, Seoul will receive a lot more mainland chinese tourists than tokyo.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:06 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
In my opinion, ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE is worth visiting. It's completely dependent on one variable, and that is the person's interests who is considering visiting the said locations.
Yes, but ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE are NOT tourist destinations, just b/c there are things to see no matter what and SOMEONE will go there. I understand what you are saying-I think the question is based on a place generally being regarded as a destination, by the media, the public, etc. People do visit Memphis, TN for example-but NYC is regarded as a tourist destination without exception.

The OP's question is based on the assumption that, yes, Tokyo, HK and Seoul are tourist destinations, with Tokyo and HK having more draw. That is the question: Can Seoul ever match that level of recognition as a tourist destination.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
South Korea will continue to rise like China, still plenty of rooms for improvement even it is already an asian tiger before the Chinese economic reform. Japan's growth has been slow since the 90's. Koreans are generally better than the Japanese in english. South Korea really started to rise in prominence lately with the global Korean Wave and Korean brands.

Seoul, Tokyo and HK have different policies and development on tourism. Mainland Chinese visitors are the increasing and most lucurative source of all cities. Korean culture is far more popular than Japanese culture in Mainland China, both China and Korea are anti-Japanese, Seoul will receive a lot more mainland chinese tourists than tokyo.
The thing is, I think you cannot force tourism as an identity. NYC, Tokyo, London-they all organically grew into world class/famous tourist/vacation destinations. Their histories, culture and modern amenities created this. Something intrinsic to a place will draw people, IMO.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Yes, but ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE are NOT tourist destinations, just b/c there are things to see no matter what and SOMEONE will go there. I understand what you are saying-I think the question is based on a place generally being regarded as a destination, by the media, the public, etc. People do visit Memphis, TN for example-but NYC is regarded as a tourist destination without exception.

The OP's question is based on the assumption that, yes, Tokyo, HK and Seoul are tourist destinations, with Tokyo and HK having more draw. That is the question: Can Seoul ever match that level of recognition as a tourist destination.
I still feel Seoul and Korea in general just lack something to be a major tourist draw YET actually South Korea is already ahead of Japan: that's right, it gets more tourists, but the many casual visitors from neighbouring China skews things. I think if price wasn't an issue many more would visit Japan. I'm still rather surprised how few people visit Japan considering how many people are obsessed with it and it's culture and how influential is. Korean culture is less well known - even most K-pop isn't very traditional and tries to ape western stuff. Korea companies ape Japanese and western ones for the most part. Plus people see Korean culture as less distinct from Chinese, aside from the food. Vietnam is culturally very similar to China yet it is in the South-East Asia tourist zone, is cheap and has beaches. SK has beaches and some interesting and beautiful sites like Jeju island, but I suppose in Seoul especially, aside from the culture and being high-tech it's not a place that really fires the imagination like Tokyo or Hong Kong. Tokyo's culture is famously unique and eclectic, Hong Kong has amazing views and still a vibrant blending of east and west. Seoul feels a bit left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia