Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:32 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
But he could pass as Southern Chinese.

Which Pacific Islanders, Maoris, Tongans, Fijians, Hawaiians? I think they still look pretty different to Polynesians. For instance Polynesians are tall and heavily built, while Filipinos and Malays are short.

Remember the Dai came from China, so would already be somewhat similar to the later Han.

Most Taiwanese have part aboriginal blood, as many early Hoklo settlers intermarried with the plains aborigines.

Eurasians aren't super common in Singapore, Malaysia or HK because there aren't that many Europeans, but they're not all that uncommon either.
Maybe to you but not to anybody else. I don't know why you persist in shoving it down others' throats, it's like you believe if you force your way through enough, you'd convince others.

I don't know which, I know they are the same race as Malays, they only have different religions and languages today because of having different colonial masters.

Stop pushing your agenda of southeast Asians "PASSING OFF" (lol) or having 1.435757532 per cent of Southern Chinese blood. Southern Chinese are what you see in Hong Kong, Singapore, Guangzhou, Taiwan, Nicholas Tze, Fann Wong from Singapore, Gillian Chung. I wish these Southeast Asian agenda pushers quit trying so hard since it's so very obvious. Southern Chinese is NOT tanned. Shorter, maybe. The skin color is the same. Go to Hong Kong yourself. This is a southern Chinese girl (Singapore).
Fann Wong, Top Singapore Actress
This is another (Hong Kong) Gillian CHUNG Yan-Tung | Zhong Xintong | Chinese Movie Database The look is VERY Chinese, there's NO mistaking it. An American of southern Chinese descent Jeremy Lin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To everybody else: Chinese northern, southern, have the same skin color like the Russians. The Chinese you see who are tanned are laborers. They got that way, like how European-Americans get tanned after baking in the sun. Jacky Chan is kinda tanned too. Nobody likes pale boys, including East Asian women.

Also, not all northern Chinese have super small eyes either. Not round like Amanda Seyfried but not all are single lidded or slitty. http://www.hdwallpapersinn.com/wp-co...hang-Ziyi1.jpg

This is garbage spread by one Southeast Asian Pacific Islander to ignorant white people in the USA who then go on and tell other ignorant white people who have never lived in East Asia. Spend a year in HK, Taiwan, Singapore and spend a year in Philippines and Malaysia with the Malays. Let's see you come back and say they look "Southern Chinese".

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-30-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Much of the economic wealth in Thailand is controlled by hi-so Chinese Thais, both pure and ethnic, in BKK.
What's the difference between pure and ethnic in your definition? Ethnic doesn't mean impure. Ethnic means your bloodline regardless of where you live. For eg, Lucy Liu is an ethnic Chinese person..Mingna Wen, Jeremy Lin are ethnic Chinese American..Or somebody is ethnic French in Germany. You can be 100% Korean and be born outside Korea like Yul Kwon in the US. Ethnic just means race from a cultural standpoint. ethnic - definition of ethnic by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

From what you said I kinda guessed you got the meaning wrong?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:03 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
when it comes to facial features, Filipinos are exactly in between looking like Southern Chinese and looking like Pacific Islanders. It's not rare to see people who look Southern Chinese. Northern Chinese & Koreans stand out though

Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Eurasians aren't super common in Singapore, Malaysia or HK because there aren't that many Europeans, but they're not all that uncommon either.
You misunderstood me. I was trying to show you an example of somebody who looks VERY OBVIOUSLY MIXED when I showed you the Nancy Kwan pic, nothing to do with Eurasian.a cut and dry case of first gen bi-racial person will look undoubtedly mixed and a confluence of the two races. I see racist whites all the time saying online how Asian genes are "stronger" than white genes and a mixed race kid will look Asian, Blah blah. That's just pure BS and shows a lack of any basic scientific knowledge. You think a white/Asian mix kid looks Asian because white faces are what you're used to seeing so the Asian half in that kid stands out to you and overshadows the white half, just as to Asians who live in Asia (not an Asian used to see white faces growing up), the same Eurasian person looks very European to them and looks obviously different to them. It's because they are used to only seeing Asian faces. It's the same thing at work that causes some people to think/say "White/black/Asians all look alike". You're not used to seeing faces of other races all your life so you can't differentiate the differences in individuals of that race.

The dumber people don't get it cos of their mental ability.

You have a hard time showing us your "vast examples" of Filipinos who look very half Chinese because there's a group of faces for Filipinos and they don't look Chinese, not enough Chinese-Filipino mixes to impact the look of the country anyway cos of population balances, and then subsequently the watering down of the mix.

Let's imagine an Asian and white have a daughter today who looks 50% Asian 50% European say Maggie Q. If Maggie marries a white guy, her daughter/son will only be 25% Asian, 75%. If Maggie marries an Asian, the daughter will only be 25% white, 75% Asian. This watering down will continue through several generations till you can't see it anymore, which is the desperation you're grasping at here.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
when it comes to facial features, Filipinos are exactly in between looking like Southern Chinese and looking like Pacific Islanders. It's not rare to see people who look Southern Chinese. Northern Chinese & Koreans stand out though
This is a southern Chinese

These two are Singapore women of southern Chinese ancestry. http://newmoonsg.tumblr.com/page/6

Or this? http://www.hdwallpaperbackground.com...l#.UknHojIayK0

Live in a southern Chinese city like Hong Kong and Taipei and we can talk again with some parity.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-30-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Ah yes Filipinos

Gulf demand boosts remittances of Filipinos - Banking & Finance - ArabianBusiness.com

Old 09-30-2013, 02:03 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
What's the difference between pure and ethnic in your definition? Ethnic doesn't mean impure. Ethnic means your bloodline regardless of where you live. For eg, Lucy Liu is an ethnic Chinese person..Mingna Wen, Jeremy Lin are ethnic Chinese American..Or somebody is ethnic French in Germany. You can be 100% Korean and be born outside Korea like Yul Kwon in the US. Ethnic just means race from a cultural standpoint. ethnic - definition of ethnic by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

From what you said I kinda guessed you got the meaning wrong?
I worded it that way as 'all-inclusive' for the benefit of anyone who gets hung up with the terms. I didn't say anything about being "impure". Where in the world did that come from ? I asked for the meaning because I wanted to know what you meant rather than second guess your meaning. I think you were the one who used the word "pure" for some reason.
"...but I do maintain most pure Chinese of Thai nationality are in Bangkok." Page 2, Post #17

Anyway, it was meant in relation to those whose genetic ancestory from their parents include both Thai and Chinese, as compared to those whose genetic ancestry from both parents are either full Chinese or full Thai but may culturally identify themselves more with one heritage than the other regardless of nationality. In both cases, they could identify more with one culture or the other, or both cultures. That's all that was meant.

The Thai term for a child with one parent who is Thai and the other of any other race (and sometimes nationality) is "luk khreung": luk=child, khreung=half. It doesn't necessarily mean Chinese although that's what had been mentioned. Thais still consider themslves to be Thai first and foremost, regardless of whether they are luk khreung or not, and regardless of upbringing or cultural practices. Does that help clarify things a bit?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:50 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Maybe to you but not to anybody else. I don't know why you persist in shoving it down others' throats, it's like you believe if you force your way through enough, you'd convince others.

I don't know which, I know they are the same race as Malays, they only have different religions and languages today because of having different colonial masters.

Stop pushing your agenda of southeast Asians "PASSING OFF" (lol) or having 1.435757532 per cent of Southern Chinese blood. Southern Chinese are what you see in Hong Kong, Singapore, Guangzhou, Taiwan, Nicholas Tze, Fann Wong from Singapore, Gillian Chung. I wish these Southeast Asian agenda pushers quit trying so hard since it's so very obvious. Southern Chinese is NOT tanned. Shorter, maybe. The skin color is the same. Go to Hong Kong yourself. This is a southern Chinese girl (Singapore).
This is another (Hong Kong) Gillian CHUNG Yan-Tung | Zhong Xintong | Chinese Movie Database The look is VERY Chinese, there's NO mistaking it. An American of southern Chinese descent Jeremy Lin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To everybody else: Chinese northern, southern, have the same skin color like the Russians. The Chinese you see who are tanned are laborers. They got that way, like how European-Americans get tanned after baking in the sun. Jacky Chan is kinda tanned too. Nobody likes pale boys, including East Asian women.

Also, not all northern Chinese have super small eyes either. Not round like Amanda Seyfried but not all are single lidded or slitty. http://www.hdwallpapersinn.com/wp-co...hang-Ziyi1.jpg

This is garbage spread by one Southeast Asian Pacific Islander to ignorant white people in the USA who then go on and tell other ignorant white people who have never lived in East Asia. Spend a year in HK, Taiwan, Singapore and spend a year in Philippines and Malaysia with the Malays. Let's see you come back and say they look "Southern Chinese".
Shoving down what? You're the one who seems emotionally invested in this 'debate.' All I said was some Filipinos do look Southern Chinese. This guys look more Chinese than my sister, and our ancestry is mostly from Fujian province. In fact everyone thinks she's Filipino, Thai or even Hawaiian. A bit of Malay maybe, but it wouldn't be more than 1/16 (my grandmother is Peranakan). I think the S. Chinese just sometimes overlap with Austronesians.

Lol, don't talk to me about Singapore, my family is from Singapore, I think I know the difference between Chinese and Malays. Obviously, there is a difference, I'm just saying they don't always look that totally different.

And no, most Chinese do not have the same skin colour as Russians. I've seen tons of dark people in China, many S. Chinese (by ancestry) like myself tan very easily. Even after winter i'm still quite a dark brown colour. And yes, women do like pale guys, look at some of those Korean or Chinese stars, although they also like tanned.

No I didn't say all N. Chinese have super small eyes but smaller than S. Chinese. Northern Chinese are the more original and if you want to say more 'pure' Chinese. Doesn't make the Southern Chinese any less ETHNICALLY Chinese, however, the Chinese are a diverse people because China is such a big place. Someone from the far north looks more like a Mongolian than a S. Chinese, and many S. Chinese have more in common with Vietnamese than N. Chinese.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
You misunderstood me. I was trying to show you an example of somebody who looks VERY OBVIOUSLY MIXED when I showed you the Nancy Kwan pic, nothing to do with Eurasian.a cut and dry case of first gen bi-racial person will look undoubtedly mixed and a confluence of the two races. I see racist whites all the time saying online how Asian genes are "stronger" than white genes and a mixed race kid will look Asian, Blah blah. That's just pure BS and shows a lack of any basic scientific knowledge. You think a white/Asian mix kid looks Asian because white faces are what you're used to seeing so the Asian half in that kid stands out to you and overshadows the white half, just as to Asians who live in Asia (not an Asian used to see white faces growing up), the same Eurasian person looks very European to them and looks obviously different to them. It's because they are used to only seeing Asian faces. It's the same thing at work that causes some people to think/say "White/black/Asians all look alike". You're not used to seeing faces of other races all your life so you can't differentiate the differences in individuals of that race.

The dumber people don't get it cos of their mental ability.

You have a hard time showing us your "vast examples" of Filipinos who look very half Chinese because there's a group of faces for Filipinos and they don't look Chinese, not enough Chinese-Filipino mixes to impact the look of the country anyway cos of population balances, and then subsequently the watering down of the mix.

Let's imagine an Asian and white have a daughter today who looks 50% Asian 50% European say Maggie Q. If Maggie marries a white guy, her daughter/son will only be 25% Asian, 75%. If Maggie marries an Asian, the daughter will only be 25% white, 75% Asian. This watering down will continue through several generations till you can't see it anymore, which is the desperation you're grasping at here.
I agree. Since I'm exposed to seeing a lot of both Asians and white people, I can see both features quite clearly in mixed people. It varies with individual, like my two nieces, one looks more Asian than the other (they're half Anglo-Australian).

What 'vast examples'? I think you're talking to the wrong person. I know most Filipinos don't look Chinese, but quite a few I've met do. I could show you their facebook's but I don't want to give away their details to strangers. Maybe they're the richer ones and aren't representative of the average Filipino, I haven't been there so it'd be a good guess.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:42 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,116,314 times
Quote:

Although not as Chinese looking as her husband I think Imelda could pass for Chinese.

Marcos Jnr could also pass as Chinese.
Imelda Marcos and Ferdinand Marcos is already a Tornatras meaning they are all mixed of Malay, Chinese and Spanish. Both had the same ancestry.

from Ferdinand Marcos Sr. got the non-Chinese side from his
maternal side.

^ Doña Priscilla Albano is a daughter of the great Albano family of Laoag, Ilocos Norte. She was one of the great tabacalera heiresses of the late 19th - early 20th century. She married Don Carlos Montilla, a peninsular from Puente Genil, Cordova. Doña Priscilla is the aunt of Josefa Albano Edralin, the mother of Pres. Ferdinand Marcos

^Carlos Montilla

Last edited by pinai; 09-30-2013 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia