Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:09 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times

Advertisements

^ yes they're not ethnically Chinese, although Chinese by nationality. I'd say if they begin to speak Mandarin.etc they'll become ethnically Chinese, like the Chinese in Thai who became Thai.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:24 AM

138 posts, read 818,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ yes they're not ethnically Chinese, although Chinese by nationality. I'd say if they begin to speak Mandarin.etc they'll become ethnically Chinese, like the Chinese in Thai who became Thai.
Well those Dai/Tai(pure Lao/Thai) whom still living in China are able speaking Mandarin as a standard dialog of China(which every ethnic minority need to know how to speak). By the way most of ethnic minorities are still focus on keeping their own identity and not become Han-Chinese.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio_Auditore View Post
Well those Dai/Tai(pure Lao/Thai) whom still living in China are able speaking Mandarin as a standard dialog of China(which every ethnic minority need to know how to speak). By the way most of ethnic minorities are still focus on keeping their own identity and not become Han-Chinese.
Yes, although unfortunately the process of assimilation might be inevitable for some of them. Their identity might be limited to putting on cultural shows for tourists.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:54 AM

26 posts, read 72,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I would say a few could, but most look pretty distinct. Not all have very broad noses, yet few have the really sharp narrow noses you associate with say Tibetans, Mongolians, some Koreans, Japanese and some northern Chinese, including those in Manchuria.

Actually, the bridge of the nose isn't lower, although the nose itself might be a bit less protruberant. I think people closer to the tropics tend to have more sculpted deep set eyes, and this is evident in Vietnamese compared to northern Chinese. The extreme example of facial flatness can be found among the Inuit and Siberian natives.

Vietnamese women aspire to look Korean or Japanese and many pull off that look quite convincingly.
Aspiring to be Korean or Japanese? Umm no, who the heck would want to make their eyes look smaller? If anything, we're guilty of dying our hair too much, but that's because Black hair can get boring.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by np6888 View Post
Aspiring to be Korean or Japanese? Umm no, who the heck would want to make their eyes look smaller? If anything, we're guilty of dying our hair too much, but that's because Black hair can get boring.
It's no secret women throughout south east Asia aspire to look at least like the ideal in those countries, like the pop stars and actresses. The men too really. You even been to Vietnam or are you Vietnamese American who's never even set foot there?

Old 04-06-2014, 05:30 AM

26 posts, read 72,571 times
Quote:
lol Kinh is a Mon-Khmer race(been living in SEA more than 4800 years) which is natural look without any Han-Chinese blood from mixing during colonization will definitely look way way more Southeast Asian than Tai-Kadai(Tai/Dai) race(came from South-western China and only made in into SEA in 13th century).

I don't know what part of Vietnam those girls you posted came from but those girl look way way way more Southeast Asian when compare to typical look of pure Lao/Thai(Tai/Dai) in the Northern Laos/Northern Thailand/Upper-eastern Thailand/Southwestern China.

Those girls you posted look more like those people in Center Thailand or maybe Southern Thailand who are generally mixed of many ancestor(Dai/Han-Chinese/Khmer/Malay).

Pure Lao/Thai/Tai/Dai (Northern Laos/Northern Thailand/Upper-eastern Thailand/Southwestern China.)

Center Thailand/Southern Thailand (mixed people of Dai/Han-Chinese/Khmer/Malay) and those girls you posted look more like these people.

200 CÔ GÁI VIETNAM

Nh

[Official MV] Ngày M

Ti

Môi xinh - Tâm Tít featured Chi Pu, Sam, Thanh Duy Idol, Hu

Nh

All day baby, all day. Tell you what, if you can find me even 20 Thai girls that are as beautiful as part 1 of the 1st video, then we can discuss this further.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by np6888 View Post

200 CÔ GÁI VIETNAM

Nh

[Official MV] Ngày M

Ti

Môi xinh - Tâm Tít featured Chi Pu, Sam, Thanh Duy Idol, Hu

Nh

All day baby, all day. Tell you what, if you can find me even 20 Thai girls that are as beautiful as part 1 of the 1st video, then we can discuss this further.
I can find you 20 ladyboys that are as beautiful as those girls .

One advantage Thais have over Viets is height.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:23 AM

83 posts, read 206,102 times
Quote:
Well, the Dai/Tai(pure Lao/Thai) ethnic(majority ethnic of Laos and Thailand today) may came from China but these people aren't called "Chinese". Just like other ethnic minority in China that may live in China but aren't considered to be "Chinese". The Tai/Dai(pure Lao/Thai) just like other ethnic minority of China are having their own culture/costume/language/identity and dislike to be called "Chinese".

So do not be confuse and call Tai/Dai(pure Lao/Thai) people to be Chinese. Chinese is basically "Han" the majority ethnic of China. Tai/Dai are basically pure "Lao/Thai" ethnic who is majority of Laos/Thailand/South-western China.

Some good example to make your mind clear about Tai/Dai(pure Lao/Thai) and Han-Chinese.

Tai/Dai ethnic(pure Lao/Thai)

Han ethnic (Chinese)
No problem. I just disagree with calling different ethnic groups and features, "races". There is no such thing as race in my book, just natural diversity. But unfortunately this was pushed hard by the colonists so it has been adopted by many....

Anyway,

Here is another video showing the diversity of Laos out in the bush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o384...id=P-Ow11rNPAY

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci_0L55_WEA

All human features are simply a reflection of the forces of nature (earth, wind, fire, water) and the power of change.
But that shouldn't blind anyone to the great connection and chain of being that binds it all together...

Last edited by GreyFox; 04-06-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 AM

83 posts, read 206,102 times
These two videos are a perfect example of how the "modern" world destabilizes traditional societies.
By forcing these people off the land in one way or other, they have to take jobs as slaves or "entertainment workers" for foreigners.... That second one with the techno monkeys was a bad look in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:07 AM

^ Exactly. We've been trained to seek out and major on differences (even such minor physical differences as shape of nose or eyelid folds) between people we forget the essential similarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia