Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 07:20 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
HK sees a lot of mainland Chinese arriving,this trend should continue.
Jack Ma bought a house on hilltop,many wealthy Chinese like to buy a home in HK t o give them the bragging rights !
There was a study made ,30,000 couples cant have children,they said it has to do with pollution.
I read some moved to UK,due to the Chinese policy
Actually, the one-way permit holders from the mainland has dropped from 50,000 in 2017 to only 10,000 in 2021. Not even enough to cover the shortfall in births let alone all the foreigners and locals who are leaving.

Moving to HK isn't that attractive for mainlanders anymore anyway. If they don't like the mainland, then they will move to the west and if they do like the mainland then there are better options inside the mainland.

HK population will certainly drop in 2022 by a large amount and keep dropping at a lower speed from there on. I do agree many rich mainlanders like to put their wealth in Chinese real estate. That is why I said Hong Kong economy will fall apart and the city will be full of empty properties, before the property prices start to drop significantly. And the property prices and rent have to drop for the city population to stabilize, as high prices suppresses immigration and births.

Last edited by Camlon; 04-02-2022 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 04:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
HK has seen better days.
I agree,if mainland Chinese seeks better opportunity,he should look in mainland China,not HK or Macao.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:02 AM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
I suppose by immigration but that is not a process supported by most Japanese. There are certainly foreign workers allowed there because of their acceptance of low wage jobs. Oddly enough there are exceptions. A few years back I was on a JAL fight to LA.

The guy sitting next to me was born in India but was a citizen of Japan. He was married to a Japanese women. He spoke fluent Japanese and worked in Japan as a representative of a Chinese manufacturing company. So there are exceptions.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:01 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
HK has seen better days.
I agree,if mainland Chinese seeks better opportunity,he should look in mainland China,not HK or Macao.
Well, Macau is so tiny and it's economy so specialized, nearly all of the advantages it would have offered most mainlanders started to wane after China's economy boomed. HK was a different case; until Xi decided he was going to prove a point and flex his muscles, HK was doing well, and still offered many advantages, at least for high-earners, but that has eroded with restrictive policies and COVID era lockdowns and isolation.

At this point though, opportunities in the mainland arent so great either, compared to just a couple years ago. The boom is over. Lockdowns, incomprehensible policy changes driven by vanity and ego, economic stagnation... Job loss, entire sectors drying up, population decline, overbuilt infrastructure in some areas and deficient infrastructure in others... More power to those who are finding opportunity wherever it lies, but by the time I left last summer, I knew the good times were over and boy, was I right.

Old 04-12-2022, 03:03 PM

I dont recall knowing any Japanese family with too many children,unlike the other Asians?Like they may have 2-3 children,not 4,.5?
I wonder if it has to do with their diet,as they eat a lot of food from the sea/

Old 04-15-2022, 09:47 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
I dont recall knowing any Japanese family with too many children,unlike the other Asians?Like they may have 2-3 children,not 4,.5?
I wonder if it has to do with their diet,as they eat a lot of food from the sea/
Probably less to do with diet, more to do with cost of living and career and social expectations.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:55 PM

153 posts, read 110,430 times
Quote:
All countries have less babies/smaller families as the population is more educated and gets richer and richer. Same thing in Western countries, 3-4 generations ago people had 6 or 10 or some crazy amount of siblings. These days, most families usually have 1-4 kids. Same thing in Japan.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:59 AM

No,the Japanese never have large family,even back in ancient time.
Women in colder climate do not conceive as easily as in warmer climate,look at the the Northern Europeans and the Russian/
But not all parts of Japan have cold weather.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:07 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
No,the Japanese never have large family,even back in ancient time.
Old-style Japanese male names often made reference to birth order. There were set names meaning first son (Taro or Ichiro), second son (Jiro), third son (Saburo), etc. I have seen examples all the way up to thirteenth (Gohachiro), so there were some big families back in the day.

However, I spent time in Japan back in the 80s, and I recall almost every family I met having from 1 to 3 children, no more.

One of my Japanese friends (who just had one sister) later married a man who was one of seven siblings, and that fact was brought out as being very unusual. They would have been born in the 1950s-60s.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:21 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,313,142 times
To AntonioR video about the houses in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiPGP_BDS4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia