Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:46 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
59 yrs old unemployed because of a facility relocation but lots of outside experience in public speaking (33 yrs) and with family connections in China through my wife's family.
This recent offer about Taiwan is new and I am checking it out. I know a lot about the mainland but not so much about the differences that set ROC apart.
Taiwan is different because it has all the freedoms that you'd expect in most other countries. For example, you can continue to check facebook or youtube or whatever else is banned in mainland China.

Also, the people in Taiwan don't need the public education campaigns like what is needed in mainland China. People in Taiwan already know it's important to wait properly in a line, and not to push to get on elevators or buses. In addition, people in Taiwan know that hawking loudly and coughing up spit with loud glottoral noises isn't acceptable.

In short, most people find Taiwan pleasantly refreshing. Basically it's China and Chinese culture without the annoyances commonly found in the mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 12:31 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Taiwan is different because it has all the freedoms that you'd expect in most other countries. For example, you can continue to check facebook or youtube or whatever else is banned in mainland China.

Also, the people in Taiwan don't need the public education campaigns like what is needed in mainland China. People in Taiwan already know it's important to wait properly in a line, and not to push to get on elevators or buses. In addition, people in Taiwan know that hawking loudly and coughing up spit with loud glottoral noises isn't acceptable.

In short, most people find Taiwan pleasantly refreshing. Basically it's China and Chinese culture without the annoyances commonly found in the mainland.
I find Taiwan and the Taiwanese more amiable than Hong Kong and even Singapore.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:39 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Great food, too.

One thing that's odd to me about Taiwan is that with all their technology, lack of natural resources, and concern over the environment, why haven't they been pumping out electric scooters to replace their gas-powered ones? I feel like if they use their domestic market as an experiment for new models, they'd soon have an amazing product for export as well (seeing as how they are already major exporters of scooters).

Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Great food, too.

One thing that's odd to me about Taiwan is that with all their technology, lack of natural resources, and concern over the environment, why haven't they been pumping out electric scooters to replace their gas-powered ones? I feel like if they use their domestic market as an experiment for new models, they'd soon have an amazing product for export as well (seeing as how they are already major exporters of scooters).
They should, I suppose the same reason electric and hybrid cars are only just catching on. The public transit use in Taiwan is very respectable though.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:20 PM

571 posts, read 1,317,974 times
My relatives live in widely different parts of the mainland - Shenzhen, Shihezi (Xinjiang) and Zhanjiang. My wife worked for the Chinese Govt. in Beijing and now it is grown so much she doesn't recognize it.
I have been offered work in Shihezi (which is a very nice city) but I have seen the Chinese society change. Taiwan might be a good start.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:10 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I agree on all the above points.

Taiwan is close enough that you can visit Mainland China during a vacation period. I heard all positive things about Taiwan. So I would say it sounds like a good opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia