Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:37 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

I think the only country that would come close to being described as such in the OP is the Philippines. But, that is a remote stretch, I think. I don't see them rapidly trying to be more Western more than they already are (400-500 years of Spanish rule tends to Westernize people to some extent). The phenomenom of Filipino women marrying white men, I think is more for financial security than an actual desire and interest in white men (again, hundreds of years of Spanish rule. I doubt much are strangers to white people). Unlike Japan.

Japan is interesting. They really like those "gaijin" features, especially the Japanese outside of the immediate environs of Osaka, Tokyo, and Okinawa (where most people of European descent visit and reside), but they are also too into their own culture and country to qualify as putting white people on a pedestal. From what I've been told, even though the Japanese consume a considerable amount of Korean entertainment lately (thanks to Fuji TV mainly), it's still more exotic and desirable for a Japanese to be seen dating a white person than a Korean

China just doesn't seem to give a crap either way, but when my mom visited and rode the train from Shanghai to Wuxi, the locals getting on the train (no tourists) were curiously looking at my mom. She was the only white person on the train, and one of the old ladies asked if she can feel her nose and around her eyes! I thought that was cute

South Korea definitely does not, as their plastic surgery craze in Gangnam amongst the upper middle class and up aims to look less Korean and more like a Chinese/Japanese hybrid (from what I can see, Japanese eyelids and nose but a Chinese jawline).

Old 11-30-2013, 10:43 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Vietnam.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:43 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
Vietnamese women seem to be more conservative and dont go after the white man , unless they are Vietnamese Americans

Old 11-30-2013, 10:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think the only country that would come close to being described as such in the OP is the Philippines. But, that is a remote stretch, I think. I don't see them rapidly trying to be more Western more than they already are (400-500 years of Spanish rule tends to Westernize people to some extent). The phenomenom of Filipino women marrying white men, I think is more for financial security than an actual desire and interest in white men (again, hundreds of years of Spanish rule. I doubt much are strangers to white people). Unlike Japan.

Japan is interesting. They really like those "gaijin" features, especially the Japanese outside of the immediate environs of Osaka, Tokyo, and Okinawa (where most people of European descent visit and reside), but they are also too into their own culture and country to qualify as putting white people on a pedestal. From what I've been told, even though the Japanese consume a considerable amount of Korean entertainment lately (thanks to Fuji TV mainly), it's still more exotic and desirable for a Japanese to be seen dating a white person than a Korean

China just doesn't seem to give a crap either way, but when my mom visited and rode the train from Shanghai to Wuxi, the locals getting on the train (no tourists) were curiously looking at my mom. She was the only white person on the train, and one of the old ladies asked if she can feel her nose and around her eyes! I thought that was cute

South Korea definitely does not, as their plastic surgery craze in Gangnam amongst the upper middle class and up aims to look less Korean and more like a Chinese/Japanese hybrid (from what I can see, Japanese eyelids and nose but a Chinese jawline).
No in the case of South Korea they turn their women into psuedo-Caucasians.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:48 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
The mentality in the Philippines comes from history. You have 333 years of white men from Spain and other parts of Europe coming over and marrying Filipino women, and the status of those women automatically increases. Also, their children are envied because they were born into a higher "caste." Then add 100 years of American men coming and doing the same thing. It's no wonder that white men are preferred.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Vietnam.
Like any poor developing country on the rise Vietnam has those types, but i mostly hear about them marrying Asians from richer countries like Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:08 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
I've seen many and I personally know some, too. And my own experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Huh

Old 11-30-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I've seen many and I personally know some, too. And my own experiences.

Huh
I know one too. And my Vietnamese friend said it happens, but I mean I don't think the average Vietnamese woman puts white men on a pedestal all that much.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:44 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
It's not secret that many Asian women, especially East and Southeast (less so South and West) specifically go after Caucasian men. They might want the lifestyle, money for them and their families, or they might use it as a ticket to move to a wealthy country. There are also those who put white men on a pedestal, or at least are enamoured by the image they have of Hollywood or television male beauties and might have a particular fascination with going after them, like a kind of 'white fever.' I'm not, of course, saying all Asians who are attracted to whites are that way - we're all humans and many people just happen to fall in love. Perhaps nowadays it'll be seen as less as as 'fetish' but no big deal.

Of course, the majority of women in Asia will date, marry and have kids with Asian men, but culturally speaking, in which country do women seem to put white men on a pedestal, see them as superior, or fetishize them?

What about the men? Would it be those same countries?

In Thailand the Philippines the situation is different as it seems mostly older or undesirable men who are in relationships with women due to economic factors, whereas in Japan it seems there are many with 'gaijin' fetishes, both men and women. Foreign hosts and hostesses, for instance, are particularly popular there.

It seems less the case in India due to inherent conservatism, cultural differences and the fact they have a lot of their own stars and heartthrobs. It seems the same with Korea too.

Singaporeans are of course more used to other peoples, but some do seem more into Western things, and might prefer to marry someone from a western country, particularly if they're white.

The Middle East is different since they're Caucasoid anyway and look more similar to S.Europeans, but it still seems some have a thing for blondes.
As a white guy, I'd say the poor countries that see white people as ATM Machines. Basically that includes Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia.

Once people have money, they tend to want to date and marry their own kind, Korea comes to mind with that one. I noticed that most Malaysians want to marry within their ethnic group as well.

I think it's ONLY philippines that really hold white people up on a pedestal, although its also very tied to MONEY. Thailand loves white people, but its not a pedestal situation, its ONLY about MONEY. They make that very clear and obvious.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
You'll have to explain that one.

I lived in South Korea for 8 years, and I can't relate to that at all. But, maybe you are thinking of that from one very specific angle, that I'm unaware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia