Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You really believe you are likely to get raped? Millions of female tourists go to India every year and a few get raped and now it's 'most'? I guess you've fallen for media hysteria.
Agreed. It would be insanely unlikely to be raped as a tourist in India. As far as violent crime, it's a completely non-threatening place. It's the infrastructure you should worry about if anything. I'm here right now and saw a derailed train in the plains on the way to Varanasi. But what a country. The amount of delicious food you can get for 100 rupees (less than $2USD) off the street is incredible.

It's going to take a long time for India to be on its way to strong development. To my knowledge, the birth rate is still increasing which can't be good for this insanely crowded subcontinent. There is about 4 power outages here in Varanasi per day and it is really not that big of a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:52 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Agreed. It would be insanely unlikely to be raped as a tourist in India. As far as violent crime, it's a completely non-threatening place. It's the infrastructure you should worry about if anything. I'm here right now and saw a derailed train in the plains on the way to Varanasi. But what a country. The amount of delicious food you can get for 100 rupees (less than $2USD) off the street is incredible.

It's going to take a long time for India to be on its way to strong development. To my knowledge, the birth rate is still increasing which can't be good for this insanely crowded subcontinent. There is about 4 power outages here in Varanasi per day and it is really not that big of a place.
Yeah, exactly. Even if I was a woman I'd be more worried about being killed by traffic or disease, or being intimidated, than actual physical violence.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:45 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

Rape is rampant .. Even 20 mins or so a woman is raped..Just Wednesday a woman was raped by police in a police station !!!!

Indian woman says police gang-raped her inside station | My Sinchew

Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 AM

76 posts, read 405,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Rape is rampant .. Even 20 mins or so a woman is raped..Just Wednesday a woman was raped by police in a police station !!!!

LOL.....

There is no way out, no one could help you then.

Even police themselves are committing crime. Such a shame.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 AM

37,154 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post

Yes, in a country of over a billion people. The rate per capita is about the same as Hong Kong and far lower than that of the US. Do you simply not understand statistics?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, in a country of over a billion people. The rate per capita is about the same as Hong Kong and far lower than that of the US. Do you simply not understand statistics?
Yeah basically this.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Malaysia +1
The rest of the countries in this region are such a mess.That's the reason why ASEAN will never be as cooperative as the EU.The countries here just don't share the same values with one another.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Malaysia +1
The rest of the countries in this region are such a mess.That's the reason why ASEAN will never be as cooperative as the EU.The countries here just don't share the same values with one another.
Malaysia is already pretty developed, but not quite first world for all. I hope things don't get worse...their policies are alienating a lot of educated folk there, who are leaving...

Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
I think if modi can produce, india will be a developed country.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think if modi can produce, india will be a developed country.
Perhaps in 30-40 years. The nominal GDP per capita in Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madya Pradesh, and Rajasthan are around $300, $400, $475, and $550, respectively. These states have almost 1/3 of India's population, and India is collectively going nowhere until these places start catching up. These states are also responsible for most of India's population growth, so a decline in birth rates alone will jack up the GDP per capita. This is something of a side note, but the birth rates in half of India's major states(excluding city-states and the sparsely populated northeastern states) are below replacement levels.

Malaysia is the obvious the front-runner. It's not on most people's radar, but Sri Lanka has the potential to quickly develop; it has a relatively small population (~20 million), new-found political stability, brain-power, and some familiarity with English which goes a long way in attracting "in-sourcing".

Last edited by TylerJAX; 06-13-2014 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia