Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:48 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times

Advertisements

Note: I'm omitting the other parts of Asia because I don't know very much about them.

Currently the developed countries in these regions are Japan, South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan (though its country status depends on who is arguing). What do you think will be the next country in these regions to become developed countries? There's Brunei which is a small sultanate, but doesn't seem to be moving very fast and has most of its wealth tied to petroleum, but doesn't seem to be diversifying very much. There's Malaysia which seems to be doing well, but seems tied in pretty divisive politics the same with Thailand. There's China which is economically growing very quickly but faced with a great amount of inequality. Do you see any of these or other jumping into developed country status within the next decade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,533 times
The next country to be developed might be malaysia, my guess, then if thailand did eventually become stable it might follow as a developed nation but the economic preditiction for thailand didnt go very well. (But again its just a forecast)

China is progressing rapidly, doing very well and is probably going on the verge to become developed, but it still have huge challanges ahead that might prevented it to become a fully developed nation.

Indonesia might become developed by 2030, provided its economy remain as stable as now.

Dont know much about middle east or central asia.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:32 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
2010's:
Malaysia

2020's:
China

2030's:
Thailand

2040-2059:
Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia

2060-2079:
India, Laos, Cambodia

2080-2099:
Nepal, Bhutan, Burma

21??'s:
Pakistan, Bangladesh

I don't know where to rank the Maldives, Brunei, East Timor and Palau.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:52 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Well the way world is going who knows if it will be possible for us to keep developing the way we have done in the past century or so. We're working on the assumption that resources will be infinite and that development will follow the process it has in countries like the United States, Japan and much of Europe.

While some Gulf states like the UAE, Bahrain and Kuwait, and even Saudi Arabia may have high GDP's and income, the wealth is mostly shared among citizens. The vast majority of people who live here (sans Saudi Arabia) are actually poor foreign workers, many from South Asia, who sometimes live in poverty. There are also many who will argue that socially these countries will never be truly 'developed' because of their repressive theocratic laws.

Malaysia is probably semi-developed in much of KL, Penang, Melaka. If you visit Kuala Lumpur it seems not unlike Singapore: the road system is modern, well-built, most people seem to live in new apartments or terrace houses.etc, there aren't the slums you find in Manila, Jakarta or Indian cities, but the stats show Malaysia lags quite a way behind the countries you've mentioned. Until recently there were kampongs right in the centre of KL, and I remember as a child 'Indian' villages in KL, Selangor.etc that were pretty basic. It's definitely ahead of Thailand and China, which would be next in line. After that Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, trailed by India, Cambodia, Laos, Pakistan, Burma.

Brunei is similar to the Gulf states, I think, if it's not first world already it's on the cusp of it, depending on how it goes economically.

Malaysia promised great things in the 90s before the Asian Economic Crisis, and with the political divide and allegations of corruptions and mismanagement of funds I wonder how it will fare. Thailand is also beset by political issues of course. Vietnam seems to be developing in a similar way to the Chinese model, in some ways it's 25 years behind China. The whole country was proclaimed a communist republic in 1975, almost 25 years after the PLA formed the PRC in 1949, and relations with the West were fully resumed in 1995, 24 years after China in 1971.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well the way world is going who knows if it will be possible for us to keep developing the way we have done in the past century or so. We're working on the assumption that resources will be infinite and that development will follow the process it has in countries like the United States, Japan and much of Europe.

While some Gulf states like the UAE, Bahrain and Kuwait, and even Saudi Arabia may have high GDP's and income, the wealth is mostly shared among citizens. The vast majority of people who live here (sans Saudi Arabia) are actually poor foreign workers, many from South Asia, who sometimes live in poverty. There are also many who will argue that socially these countries will never be truly 'developed' because of their repressive theocratic laws.

Malaysia is probably semi-developed in much of KL, Penang, Melaka. If you visit Kuala Lumpur it seems not unlike Singapore: the road system is modern, well-built, most people seem to live in new apartments or terrace houses.etc, there aren't the slums you find in Manila, Jakarta or Indian cities, but the stats show Malaysia lags quite a way behind the countries you've mentioned. Until recently there were kampongs right in the centre of KL, and I remember as a child 'Indian' villages in KL, Selangor.etc that were pretty basic. It's definitely ahead of Thailand and China, which would be next in line. After that Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, trailed by India, Cambodia, Laos, Pakistan, Burma.

Brunei is similar to the Gulf states, I think, if it's not first world already it's on the cusp of it, depending on how it goes economically.

Malaysia promised great things in the 90s before the Asian Economic Crisis, and with the political divide and allegations of corruptions and mismanagement of funds I wonder how it will fare. Thailand is also beset by political issues of course. Vietnam seems to be developing in a similar way to the Chinese model, in some ways it's 25 years behind China. The whole country was proclaimed a communist republic in 1975, almost 25 years after the PLA formed the PRC in 1949, and relations with the West were fully resumed in 1995, 24 years after China in 1971.
Correction most of the apartment in KL metro are actually low-cost housings and that's where large portion of the population lives. There aren't any major slums only pockets of few minor slum scattered, not a lot and as horrendous as what you'll see in other metropolis you've mentioned. KL is probably semi-developed but it's still a bit far from being an actual first world city (considering klang valley and pj area especially).

A lot can change however in 6 years when Malaysia is actually considered first world.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM

537 posts, read 823,781 times
Why are people in this thread placing India so far behind China?

China has a huge population to deal with before it can be a developed country. If it's economy was twice the size of the United States that would still not be big enough to provide a sufficient standard of living for its people in order for it to considered developed so I have a hard time predicting it to be in that category as quickly as a couple of the posters ahead of me do.
What is your critieria for developed?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:31 PM

12 posts, read 27,643 times
According to data, The correct answer is Russia

Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 PM

12 posts, read 27,643 times
Qatar was missed out, the richest country of Asia.

Macau is not classified as developed due to the importance of gambling industry and low overall level of education.

And that's why major cities in China and Singapore have a long road to be classsified as developed, there are many outsiders living there and on a low income compared with the locals. Human rights in Gulf states, China and Singapore are not as good as the West as well.

Malaysia is more developed than other Southeast Asian countries, just below Singapore and Brunei. All three were British territories with high usage of English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

Old 04-03-2014, 12:49 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
2010's:
Malaysia

2020's:
China

2030's:
Thailand

2040-2059:
Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia

2060-2079:
India, Laos, Cambodia

2080-2099:
Nepal, Bhutan, Burma

21??'s:
Pakistan, Bangladesh

I don't know where to rank the Maldives, Brunei, East Timor and Palau.
I've never been to Malaysia--does it really seem like it'll be a developed country within just five and a half years from now?

Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I've never been to Malaysia--does it really seem like it'll be a developed country within just five and a half years from now?
Yes but the MH370 case doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia