Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:44 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times

Advertisements

My cousin wore black when visiting CNY.. Which is supposedly not auspicious..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 06:45 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Oh yeah we love the number 8,because the sound of it is close to "fa",which means a sudden fortune,nouveau riche.
I find that strange thinking. I mean they know language was invented, right? So what, the gods unconsciously guided those who made the language so it's not a coincidence? Or the gods or God handed down the language to them? Of course you can't really rationally explain many superstitions.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
My cousin wore black when visiting CNY.. Which is supposedly not auspicious..
I believe white is the colour of mourning in Chinese culture.

Although increasingly Singapore is getting more westernised and most mourners nowadays wear black. Most brides wear white too. This trend is happening all over the Chinese speaking world.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I believe white is the colour of mourning in Chinese culture.

Although increasingly Singapore is getting more westernised and most mourners nowadays wear black. Most brides wear white too. This trend is happening all over the Chinese speaking world.
It was not a mourning occasion, it was CNY..

Also increasing young Singaporeans dont pay respects to their ancestors during Ching Ming

As the Christian population increase , the superstition also decrease as many Christians dont go temples and observe traditional rites etc

Old 05-31-2014, 06:54 AM

Even those who observe traditional rites are simplifying it not too bothered about superstitions.. I believe it is happening in Korea too..

Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
I find that strange thinking. I mean they know language was invented, right? So what, the gods unconsciously guided those who made the language so it's not a coincidence? Or the gods or God handed down the language to them? Of course you can't really rationally explain many superstitions.
It's more like that we believe the number 8 can bring luck,more like a wishful thinking,not religious.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
It was not a mourning occasion, it was CNY..

Also increasing young Singaporeans dont pay respects to their ancestors during Ching Ming

As the Christian population increase , the superstition also decrease as many Christians dont go temples and observe traditional rites etc
I think some Christians have their own superstitions too. Like I know a lot of educated folk who blame a lot of things on satan or the devil or demons.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:05 AM

I have an uncle, who's not religious actually, who said he experienced some paranormal activity at his old house in Tampines. Like poltergeists, things moving by themselves. We used to stay at his subsequent house in Bukit Timah as kids, and I remember playing with my cousin, his older son. I remember one time, perhaps influenced by these stories, I almost made myself believe i had seen a large, hooded spectre.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:28 AM

The no 9 is also liked by the Chinese , stand for long lasting and longevity

Old 05-31-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I have an uncle, who's not religious actually, who said he experienced some paranormal activity at his old house in Tampines. Like poltergeists, things moving by themselves. We used to stay at his subsequent house in Bukit Timah as kids, and I remember playing with my cousin, his older son. I remember one time, perhaps influenced by these stories, I almost made myself believe i had seen a large, hooded spectre.
Hmm as kids we were all easily fooled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia