Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 05:37 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times

Advertisements

The legal status of abortion is the same in both South Korea and Taiwan, but of course I don't know how it works in practice over there.
Theoretically, under certain circumstances abortion could be legally performed, and those circumstances include social and psychological difficulties, which means it's practically legal as any pregnant woman can say she's not happy with her pregnancy then get it over with.

In fact, as far as I know, we usually have a rife of abortion appointment at the end of August here since there will always be some young girls that have too much fun during summer without wearing condoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 04:18 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post
For people who are from South Korea or who have lived in South Korea, what would be the real probability for a foreigner student who earn a bachelor such as International Business administration or International relations in a good ranked South Korean university such as Hanyang or Kyung hee university to start his career with a job related to his degree in a big South Korean company? (Fluent in Korean of course) Companies will be more favorable to hire South Koreans although is there any preconception with foreigners that just graduated from South Korean Universities?

You need to establish some contacts already in Korea with Korean teachers, professors, colleagues, etc. to have a good chance. There was an American teacher in Korea for several years now offered other positions at the university level after teaching in middle school. He mentioned about other job offers regarding journalism too. It can be done, but get your ducks lined up ahead of time.

btw, who cares about the abortion laws there...the OP wasn't concerned about that.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Koreans are very sensitive to nationality. They always want to prove Koreans are better, so you need to get used to it. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Koreans are very sensitive to nationality. They always want to prove Koreans are better, so you need to get used to it. Not necessarily a bad thing.
This probably refers to many asian countries in the northeast, not just Koreans. i.e. Chinese and Japanese, too.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alester237 View Post
As has been mentioned, younger Koreans are more open. However, they are...young, so they aren't the ones in positions of power in Korea yet. If you are fluent in Korean, perhaps there wouldn't be much of a problem, but you gotta consider also the cultural differences, particularly related to work in this case. Of course countries in general try to look after themselves first and hire their own people over foreigners when possible, but in Korea one reason some employers do this is the work culture differences. Work culture in Korea sucks because Korean society is so hierarchical, more so than Japan. Also, as far as culture in general, Korea in particular is really similar to the conservative, southern US, even in terms of religion. I was really surprised and disappointed when I learned a few years ago that Christianity is now the biggest religion over there (25-30% of the population). So yea, basically abortion is illegal, homosexuality is just not really out in public and even considered a western disease by some older people, and gender equality is still lagging behind a lot of countries too.
Are you sure about this? What makes you think Korean society is even more hierarchial than Japan? Isn't Japan known for its strict Samurai culture? i.e. Boss-subordinate relations

I've heard such hierarchy doesn't exist between univeristy professors in Korea, as in more equality with regards to how one treats another.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:03 PM

Korea and Japan are both very hierarchical.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Korea and Japan are both very hierarchical.
And China and Taiwan too???

Old 11-25-2014, 09:32 PM

51 posts, read 60,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Are you sure about this? What makes you think Korean society is even more hierarchial than Japan? Isn't Japan known for its strict Samurai culture? i.e. Boss-subordinate relations

I've heard such hierarchy doesn't exist between univeristy professors in Korea, as in more equality with regards to how one treats another.
Yes, I know both languages and I can tell you Korea is more hierarchical, it's even reflected in the language more. Even when I talk to Japanese people about Korea, they think Korea is more hierarchical (though of course Japan is quite hierarchical too). One time some older Korean lady (prolly 40-50) didn't even want to keep talking to me anymore because she kept saying I was rude and sounded like some young Korean from Seoul, which is bs cuz I was using polite speech. I've never had a problem like that with Japanese, even though I've studied Japanese twice as long.

I imagine this is partly because Korea was more heavily influenced by Confucianism than Japan, though there are other reasons as well. Their position as a smaller country in between a bunch of bigger powers like China, Russia, and Japan has meant that they have constantly been getting pushed around and taken over. An environment of constant threat like that can push people into more conservative ways of thinking, and conservatism is by nature a more hierarchical system of thought. In contrast, Japan has been protected somewhat from Confucianism, but also from foreign invasion, simply because it's an island country.

Last edited by alester237; 11-25-2014 at 09:56 PM..

Old 11-25-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Idk about China, but Taiwan is less hierarchical.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Chinese society is less so than Korea and Japan, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia