Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thailand Vs China Which Place Is Better?
China 9 33.33%
Thailand 18 66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I don't know if he is just talking about prostitutes, but I think the average Thai woman is more attractive than the average Chinese women. But as he said, this is opinion. But the flatter rounder faces of the Chinese don't do it for me. One cool thing about Thai people, is that they seem just like to have more fun in general. You see it all through their culture through their music and movies and festivals. They do also take a more casual view towards sex, which is why so many see no problem in being hookers. You are goign to find more peopel, in general, that know English than mainland China, the only place in SEA where English might be more prevalent is the Phillipines (which has a lower COL than Thailand, but not as "fun" IMO) and Singapore (much higher COL). You can find a decent place to rent for a month for $300USD even in Bangkok. I think Thailand has better food, but that is a matter of opinion. I know it's know to be spicy, but most places know to dial it down for farangs unless asked, and it's flavorful regardless. Transportation is cheap in Thailand. As it won't cost much to get a bus from city to city, or hop on back of a scooter or cab within a city, but the roads are dangerous. I can't speak for China.
China is too big and women from different parts of China can be very different. Food is even more diverse.
Thailand is just like a province of China (when these issues are concerned ).

Old 12-25-2014, 10:23 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,342 times
Quote:
I don't know if he is just talking about prostitutes, but I think the average Thai woman is more attractive than the average Chinese women. But as he said, this is opinion. But the flatter rounder faces of the Chinese don't do it for me.One cool thing about Thai people, is that they seem just like to have more fun in general. You see it all through their culture through their music and movies and festivals. They do also take a more casual view towards sex, which is why so many see no problem in being hookers. You are goign to find more peopel, in general, that know English than mainland China, the only place in SEA where English might be more prevalent is the Phillipines (which has a lower COL than Thailand, but not as "fun" IMO) and Singapore (much higher COL).
Filipinas are much more fun to be around than Thai's. Their laughs and smiles are genuine, Thai smiles are fake and transparent. As far as English goes, Thailand is middle of the road in ASEAN IMO. Philippines, Singapore, and Malaysia obviously beat it out, but I find among the younger generation even Cambodians speak better English than Thais.

Quote:
You can find a decent place to rent for a month for $300USD even in Bangkok.
I dunno, it's difficult to find a decent place for that much in BKK. All the 5,000-10,000thb places I've stayed at have been dumps. 15,000thb/mo is the start of the goldilocks zone where you can get a decent apartment in a new building with actual amenities, in my experience.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Filipinas are much more fun to be around than Thai's. Their laughs and smiles are genuine, Thai smiles are fake and transparent.
I can't make a comparison with filipinas. Apart from some of the Thais working in large touristy areas like BKK, etc., I have found that Thais also have genuine laughs and smiles, especially those located away from the dense, hectic-paced urban areas. Granted interaction can still be rather reserved in the initial stages of getting acquainted, but once they get to know you better, Thais have as much fun as anyone. That said, I've also known urban Thais who are also fun loving and easy to get to know. However, I do think the "Thai smile" has been greatly exaggerated by the TAT as a way to stimulate and encourage tourism. As I'm sure you know, Thais use smiles for different reasons, not all of which is about having fun. But that's also true to some degree with westerners.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:38 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
Which has better cities for;

Golf
Food
Women
Quality of life
Transportation
Comfortable Bedding
Enjoyabilityc

Thanks!
Golf - Thailand
Food - Thailand
Women - I'm married so no comment
Quality of life - Thailand
Transportation - China
Comfortable Bedding - Thailand
Enjoyability: Thailand

I worked several years in Asia and took several vacations to both. China is more interesting historically and obviously more diverse but Thailand is more comfortable and enjoyable.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:43 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I can't make a comparison with filipinas. Apart from some of the Thais working in large touristy areas like BKK, etc., I have found that Thais also have genuine laughs and smiles, especially those located away from the dense, hectic-paced urban areas. Granted interaction can still be rather reserved in the initial stages of getting acquainted, but once they get to know you better, Thais have as much fun as anyone. That said, I've also known urban Thais who are also fun loving and easy to get to know. However, I do think the "Thai smile" has been greatly exaggerated by the TAT as a way to stimulate and encourage tourism. As I'm sure you know, Thais use smiles for different reasons, not all of which is about having fun. But that's also true to some degree with westerners.

If you can't tell Foadi is one the zealous Filipino boosters on this board, which is why he would being the Phillipines into a conversation on Thailand and China, unless I missed them on the poll.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:21 AM

927 posts, read 969,212 times
Siam, means the land of smiles. Thailand is Siam. The people do smile alot and are very friendly. I know because I live here. If you live in the countyside and not in a large city you better know how to speak Thai. There is nobody that speaks fluent English at all out here.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
Siam, means the land of smiles. Thailand is Siam. The people do smile alot and are very friendly. I know because I live here. If you live in the countyside and not in a large city you better know how to speak Thai. There is nobody that speaks fluent English at all out here.
You're right that Thailand and Siam are different names for the same country. Although there are a lot of Thai smiles to be found, as a word, "Siam" does not mean "the land of smiles". It appears to have been identified with the Sanskrit word "Syama" which means "dark" or "brown".
Thailand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would agree that in rural locations of the country, Thais who speak fluent English can be very hard to find, although there are some out in the sticks who can speak English quite well, well enough to be understood. English is taught in public schools, but the problem is that as soon as the students return home, they have little opportunity to practice their skills. Such English is often broken and can be very difficult to understand. It is better for a foreigner to learn Thai to communicate if they're going to spend any time in rural villages. Even in large cities, in many of the residential areas, most of the residents are still going to be speaking Thai.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:53 PM

927 posts, read 969,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
You're right that Thailand and Siam are different names for the same country. Although there are a lot of Thai smiles to be found, as a word, "Siam" does not mean "the land of smiles". It appears to have been identified with the Sanskrit word "Syama" which means "dark" or "brown".
Thailand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would agree that in rural locations of the country, Thais who speak fluent English can be very hard to find, although there are some out in the sticks who can speak English quite well, well enough to be understood. English is taught in public schools, but the problem is that as soon as the students return home, they have little opportunity to practice their skills. Such English is often broken and can be very difficult to understand. It is better for a foreigner to learn Thai to communicate if they're going to spend any time in rural villages. Even in large cities, in many of the residential areas, most of the residents are still going to be speaking Thai.
I read the wikipedia on the name Siam, my wife or any other Thai sure wouldn't want to hear the dark brown definition for the word. She is the one who told me her definition of Siam and I did read of others to the contrary, but still interesting. Thanks for the information anyway.

About speaking Thai, oh boy, I have had my challenges. I can speak not bad, and get most anything I want, but the listening is very challenging for me after a year in the neighborhood. Sometimes I just want to give up, but I always manage to get some fresh inspiration and keep the course. Staying motivated can be difficult at times. Very difficult learning a language, the hardest thing I have ever attempted educationwise.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:13 PM

149 posts, read 197,973 times
Taiwan is a self governed province of China , so I vote for China...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
.. Taiwan would be more comparable to Thailand because of size and climate ...

Old 12-27-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I read the wikipedia on the name Siam, my wife or any other Thai sure wouldn't want to hear the dark brown definition for the word. She is the one who told me her definition of Siam and I did read of others to the contrary, but still interesting. Thanks for the information anyway.
I hear you buddy. It has to do with the origins and not necessarily the typical view of people today. My wife was born in Sukhothai, but the family moved to a village in the province of Saraburi when she was a child. There is a range of different skin tones in the province, and some folks are pretty dark, or very tan. She describes her skin tone as dahm (black), even though she isn't. It's just the word she uses. And she's not the only one who uses that description. It's such descriptions, along with magazine models and movie stars, that keep skin whiteners a popular sales product. The idea is the notion that dark skin tones represent poor, unsuccessful farm workers. No question that there are plenty of Thais who are preoccupied with such vanity.

Quote:
About speaking Thai, oh boy, I have had my challenges. I can speak not bad, and get most anything I want, but the listening is very challenging for me after a year in the neighborhood. Sometimes I just want to give up, but I always manage to get some fresh inspiration and keep the course. Staying motivated can be difficult at times. Very difficult learning a language, the hardest thing I have ever attempted educationwise.
I'm not as fluent with the language as the Thais are, but do pretty well. I've had plenty of help along the way. I've known Thais for a big portion of my life. While I didn't always know what they were saying, the sounds of words became familiar to me. In a way, learning the language wasn't all that difficult for, but I do have problems with things like medical, legal and technical terms, probably because I don't use such terms that much. It does take frequent practice though and the determination to stick with it. Use it or lose it. One thing I've found that's sometimes helpful is if you have a hard time understanding the meaning of certain people, ask them to describe it in a different way or a little slower because I'm not yet an expert, and of course I add a big smile along with it. I have found that people tend to be helpful when they realize that a foreigner is trying to learn their language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia