Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:05 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Trains still crash.
The time zone thing is symbolic of the communists need for absolute conformity in the face of all reason.
And the US subtracts an hour of daylight for 4 months a year in the season that is already the darkest. I mean, Capitalism is not being any more logical....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 02:05 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
And the US subtracts an hour of daylight for 4 months a year in the season that is already the darkest. I mean, Capitalism is not being any more logical....
Well the winter is actually Standard Time. Daylight Saving Time (United States) 2015 begins at 2:00 AM on Sunday, March 8 and ends at 2:00 AM on Sunday, November 1.

You can't add or subtract an hour of daylight. You just can put more daylight at the beginning or the end of the day.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:50 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
On the plus side, SUNSET is around 8pm in LHASA TIBET during these winter months. Meanwhile, its dark already at 6pm in Beijing.

I'd much rather have the late sunsets during the winter months.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:33 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Well the winter is actually Standard Time. Daylight Saving Time (United States) 2015 begins at 2:00 AM on Sunday, March 8 and ends at 2:00 AM on Sunday, November 1.

You can't add or subtract an hour of daylight. You just can put more daylight at the beginning or the end of the day.
How is the one that is only 4 months per year Standard time? I know the answer, I am just saying. I was just pointing out to the previous poster that governments everywhere of all ideologies can be arbitrary as hell when they want to be.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I think this is insane when you consider that from the very eastern tip to the westernmost border, the country spans over 3000 miles. That means it could be already night in one place and bright sunshine in another but yet they have the same time!

Do you think China should at least split up into two or three time zones?
Not only does it have one time zone, it doesn't have daylight savings either!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Not only does it have one time zone, it doesn't have daylight savings either!
China had it in the 1990s but eventually abandoned it.
People found it confusing.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:30 PM

64 posts, read 74,866 times
In Hong Kong it's used to be GMT+7.5 before '97 and now it's universally GMT+8, the change is not that troubling, though.

BTW I never understand DST practically (I can read them on wiki but don't actually know how they work in daily life), anyone living in DST regions willing to explain a bit? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:31 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowu5 View Post
In Hong Kong it's used to be GMT+7.5 before '97 and now it's universally GMT+8, the change is not that troubling, though.

BTW I never understand DST practically (I can read them on wiki but don't actually know how they work in daily life), anyone living in DST regions willing to explain a bit? Thanks.
The basis for the change was originally to save energy by matching the work day to sunlight hours. In the US, in the spring, clocks are set forward one hour; in the fall, they are set back one hour.

History & info - Daylight Saving Time, early adoption, U.S. law

Practically speaking, it means you have to reset all the clocks in the house twice a year. Otherwise, life goes on as usual. On the days when you set the clock back, you get an extra hour to sleep. When you set it forward, you give that hour back. Forget to do it and you may show up for work the next day at the wrong time!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 PM

64 posts, read 74,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The basis for the change was originally to save energy by matching the work day to sunlight hours. In the US, in the spring, clocks are set forward one hour; in the fall, they are set back one hour.

History & info - Daylight Saving Time, early adoption, U.S. law

Practically speaking, it means you have to reset all the clocks in the house twice a year. Otherwise, life goes on as usual. On the days when you set the clock back, you get an extra hour to sleep. When you set it forward, you give that hour back. Forget to do it and you may show up for work the next day at the wrong time!
Does it still have effect in modern time? I go to work at 9 and off at 6, regardless of the sunlight. Is it more influential for outdoor work?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:06 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowu5 View Post
Does it still have effect in modern time? I go to work at 9 and off at 6, regardless of the sunlight. Is it more influential for outdoor work?
Hong Kong has a low latitude so the duration of a day doesn't change too much in a year.
Here in Boston, morning starts at 4 am in summer if you don't change the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia