Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:45 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'm juxtaposing this rant over your past China boosting and not sure what to make of it...

Cool. I'm of Swedish descent and studied Chinese history for some time, though on my own and not in an academic setting. I'm learning Mandarin as I go, living here... I'll probably be here indefinitely as my now-fiance, as of a few days ago, is Chinese and has no desire to leave.

I view China with the same overall pragmatism I view my home country, though admittedly with an outsider's criticism. There are plenty of things I can find to criticize about China's government, culture, etc. though I take the good with the bad. I fail to see how any nation acting with restraint when an accident that was likely the ineptitude of one individual military person is a sign of "weakness." To wage a retaliatory strike that would similarly result in civilian deaths - though almost certainly in higher numbers - is just about as short sighted as one can get.

Now, if the Myanmar military started making incursions and regular strikes and the Chinese simply demanded them to stop, that would be another matter...
Yes, sometimes when the situation warrants, I am all for China. There are many things about China that's great, but there are many things that are grotesque and ugly too. For a country that size, it's expected. I call it like I see it.

For instance, I am pretty sure that, like it or not, China will absorb taiwan, in one way or another. It's just a matter of time, and regardless of what greyholic wants to think (which I don't really care). I am also sure that, regardless of what anyone else say, China's government will change for the better. It already has in a gradual way, and it will continue. I also know that the Chinese people have a long way to go to gain the respect of the rest of the world. There are just too many Chinese people with low standard of civic understanding. So where there are large numbers of Chinese tourists, there are also lots of complaints about their very uncivilized behavior, from defecating in public to washing their feet in sinks and throwing trash everywhere. In China, these bad habits are daily routine so nobody complains because everyone is used to them. This is why China is so dirty from an outsider's perspective. I was so shocked when I first arrived in China to see little kids just sitting down and pooping right on a main street in Shanghai, with nobody saying anything and the mothers just talking to their friends and waiting for them to finish. This is in China's most advanced city no less@! And of course, there is the Chinese callous attitude toward the animals that they butcher for food etc (like dogs, cats and a host of endangered animals like salamanders and pangolins...just horrific and barbaric). Yes, I love lots of things about China, but I am also sickened by lots of Chinese habits. If you are living in China, then you know, or will soon know what I mean.

The Chinese love of face is ridiculous, and it's the main reason why things can't get modernized as quickly as they should over there. The Chinese love to make a show of everything, and so long as they can save face, you can bet your yuan that nobody really cares about four dead Chinese peasants in a sugarcane grove along the border with Burma. This is what I hate most about the Chinese...they are so corrupt and so cruel to each other, yet they instinctively butter up to white foreigners like you and me as if we are infallible gods.

I am mostly Swede and a bit of Dutch by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:50 AM

[quote=Greysholic;38824332]Multiple personalities.

And a pointless comment from the peanut gallery.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:52 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
For instance, I am pretty sure that, like it or not, China will absorb taiwan, in one way or another. It's just a matter of time, and regardless of what greyholic wants to think (which I don't really care).
The Confucious Institute you attended has done a great job brainwashing you. No wonder Stockholm University(amongst other schools) chose to shut down the propagandist machine.

Quote:
I am mostly Swede and a bit of Dutch by the way.
Now I feel bad for Sweden and the Netherlands.

Last edited by Greysholic; 03-15-2015 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 10:12 AM

[quote=Greysholic;38824528]The Confucious Institute you attended has done a great job brainwashing you. No wonder Stockholm University(amongst other schools) chose to shut down the propagandist machine.

Yet another pointless comment from an irrelevant peon who can't fathom an American of Swedish descent, and not an actual Swede....

Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Yet another pointless comment from an irrelevant peon who can't fathom an American of Swedish descent, and not an actual Swede....
I singled Stockholm University out because they shut down their Confucious Institute just a few months ago, you obviously didn't read "amongst other schools" part.

So you are any more relevant? Lol.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Wait, sorry, but Chinese treating white foreigners like infallible gods? Pennyone, you and a lot of other northern European blooded people share one thing in common, you mistake common curiosity for "white worship". East Asians do not, in any way, worship northern whites nor desire to be like them. Good God....

Old 03-15-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I singled Stockholm University out because they shut down their Confucious Institute just a few months ago, you obviously didn't read "amongst other schools" part.

So you are any more relevant? Lol.
LOL! I am actually surprised that you know anything about the Confucius Institutes....and it's Confucius" without the "o".

Old 03-15-2015, 03:08 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
[quote=pennyone;38824730]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The Confucious Institute you attended has done a great job brainwashing you. No wonder Stockholm University(amongst other schools) chose to shut down the propagandist machine.

I think you're a spy

Old 03-15-2015, 06:44 PM

[quote=Dangerous-Boy;38827852]
Quote:

I think you're a spy
Spy or not, it's always good to learn how to spell correctly, especially proper nouns like Confucius. Hahahaha!!!!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:10 PM

653 posts, read 743,260 times
Quote:
That's BS. The Chinese are so weak and all they really care about is face. I just watched a Chinese CCTV News segment where the commentator was explaining the Chinese defence dept's phone call to the Burmese warning them with the four "Yen" characters....the Burmese are supposed to do this and do that, otherwise the Chinese military will take "resolute actions." Yeah, right! It's all Chinese BS to placate the rising tide of Chinese netizens who are calling for punitive actions, but they will be disappointed. The Burmese are probably laughing in Yangon right now. The reality is that the Chinese military and government would never dare to attack anyone for anything. All they want to do is to appear like they care about the protection of sovereignty. They are in fact so incompetent and weakened by corruption that they can't even defend the border against those old Burmese warplanes flying into Chinese airspace. The war along the border between the Burmese gov forces and those ethnic militias have been raging for months, and you mean to tell me that the Chinese border forces have not been tightened? Isn't the PLA supposed to defend the lives and properties of Chinese nationals? And you are all here worrying about Chinese construction on those little reefs? If the Chinese air force can't even deter Burmese planes along a land border, how do you think it can supply and defend those military bases so far in the SCS? What a joke. China is a gigantic paper tiger that's good at putting on military parades. It like the late Qing all over again.

By the way, I am of Nordic descent and I studied Chinese history during grad school days. I speak and understand fluent Mandarin and read Chinese.
I am Chinese but really a Singaporean. I agree that the Chinese military has been way over-hyped. At the same time, they are wary of antagonising Mynamar.

I think one factor is that the Chinese government is desperate not to lose whatever goodwill they Myanmar generals have left for Beijing; given that most of the region is already fed-up with the fiasco in the south china sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia