Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:27 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

"During his campaign, Duterte pledged to kill tens of thousands of criminals and joked about raping an Australian missionary. His campaign symbol is a fist."

And people think Donald Trump is bad? Trump is a Teddy Bear compared to this guy..

This is pretty scary stuff...

Philippine election: Rodrigo Duterte vows to be 'dictator' against evil - CNN.com

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ad-been-first/

https://news.vice.com/article/mayor-...he-philippines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 11:12 AM

399 posts, read 720,067 times
Stamp out corruption, sounds awesome. The Philippines is a country held down by corruption. Drug Lords should be killed and jailed..the drug problem is increasing in the Philippines. Sometimes you need a strict leader to keep order. I'm for it..hopefully he will succeed.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:14 AM

549 posts, read 722,959 times
I believe that Nonoy has done some pretty good things as President but the Philippines still needs some major changes. Duterte might be the one to get the ball rolling but I'm fearful that if he upsets the wrong people that he will meet the same fate as Ninoy.

Hoping for the best for our brothers and sisters in RP.

It will be interesting to say the least.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:21 AM

He said the concept of human rights applying to criminals is a Western one which should not have been adopted in the country.
“When you start to be soft in this country and allow Western thoughts to seep in, that’s when you start to have problems,” he said.
He said Western governments “want to rehabilitate instead of just killing the idiots (criminals).”

cant say he's not tough on crime .
I know where I live in California they decided to let out lots of prisoners early and crime has gone up a lot

Old 05-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Certainly he has done a commendable job in Davao but...and this is a big but, I would have thought that his approach and policies would have seeped out to other parts of Mindanao. As it stands now, Mindanao is one of the poorest regions in the RP. Obviously security and safety play a huge part in the investment thing but it can't be overlooked that Mindanao is in a tough spot even after Digong's tenure (I think 22 years) as mayor in the largest city.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Some 20 years ago, Alfredo Lim, a former police chief, served as mayor of Manila - he was nicknamed Dirty Harry, probably leftover from the days he was police chief, had a reputation as a tough guy, but I've never known Lim to speak as recklessly as Duterte.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Some 20 years ago, Alfredo Lim, a former police chief, served as mayor of Manila - he was nicknamed Dirty Harry, probably leftover from the days he was police chief, had a reputation as a tough guy, but I've never known Lim to speak as recklessly as Duterte.
Yeah some of the stuff he says would make Donald Trump blush it's funny how people are getting all worked up in the U.S about Trump

Old 05-11-2016, 07:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
Certainly he has done a commendable job in Davao but...and this is a big but, I would have thought that his approach and policies would have seeped out to other parts of Mindanao. As it stands now, Mindanao is one of the poorest regions in the RP. Obviously security and safety play a huge part in the investment thing but it can't be overlooked that Mindanao is in a tough spot even after Digong's tenure (I think 22 years) as mayor in the largest city.
He was just the Mayor of Davao.

Usually, by nature, large cities and rural areas are just completely different. Even moreso in Mindinao where rural areas are largely Muslim, and urban cities are largely Christian.

Duterte focused purely on crime, criminals, drug trade, etc. I'm not aware of him having some large anti-Islamic agenda, and even if he did, I can't imagine it would have resonated throughout the Muslim areas of Mindinao.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
He was just the Mayor of Davao.

Usually, by nature, large cities and rural areas are just completely different. Even more so in Mindanao where rural areas are largely Muslim, and urban cities are largely Christian.

Duterte focused purely on crime, criminals, drug trade, etc. I'm not aware of him having some large anti-Islamic agenda, and even if he did, I can't imagine it would have resonated throughout the Muslim areas of Mindanao.
Sorry for not being clear enough, my point was that the focus on crime and drugs have benefited Davao greatly. As solid of a model of safety and security helped it I would have thought that other cities would have followed suit after seeing it firsthand.

I was actually hoping that more of the metro areas in Mindanao would have leaned that way. It would be nice to see the poorer non-Christian area benefit from the steady economic growth that the Philippines has experienced in the past few years.

I do not believe he had/has an anti-Islamic agenda, after all his grandmother was a Moro and his son is married to a Muslim. Last year he said that he is both Muslim & Christian and that his grandchildren are either Muslim or Christians. He does not want to contribute to the religious divide that plagues the region.

I think this is the same idea he will use for his policies on China / Philippines relations. He said that he wants to work directly with China so that everyone benefits. (gas, oil, fishing, etc.)

Hope that made a little more sense.

Cheers

Old 05-11-2016, 12:07 PM

I'm pretty sure he won't be working against these guys either... NPA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia