Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Shanghai 10 33.33%
Taipei 20 66.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:12 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
You sure about that?
This was how it was like 10 years ago, and they recently removed the elementary school final exams. But who knows, no one can predict the future.

No matter what happens, I will deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 11:56 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
There are plenty of good "Asian" values. Family unity, anti debt, not lazy, most Asians are actually fairly tolerant people, good at saving money, non violence, respect for elders, Asians tend to keep themselves clean and well dressed, I think that says something about self-respect. Some of those values seem to get lost in the transition from individuals and families to government and society.

Western society (and every society) has plenty of good and bad values as well.
Tolerant?
South Korean army captain conviction for gay sex hightlights ‘military witch hunt’
Indonesian men caned for gay sex in Aceh (with a large crowd cheering)
Chinese student abused for praising 'fresh air of free speech' in US

Just three examples in May.

Also, Asian countries have really high household debt. It's no better than Western countries.

Last edited by Greysholic; 06-08-2017 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 12:00 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, the old part of Shanghai (the former foreign concession areas) have very walkable parts.
I'd love to see that part of Shanghai! It looks very nice in the photos I can find.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
For that Chinese student, the problem is she intentionally smeared her hometown just to praise America. Kunming city actually has quite good air quality and people there certainly do not wear masks. I'm sure she faked her experience in the speech. If you were a proud citizen of Kunming, would you be unhappy too? In particular, Kunming is the "spring city" of China and tourism is a big section of economy there.

Yes she used that as a metaphor for freedom of speech. However using exaggerations is definitely a bad move. She could have said so many things in her graduation speech, representing international students, but she chose the cliché "my country sucks, America is great". I feel sorry for her.

In most Asian countries, criticizing your own homeland just to please foreigners is a big no no. Taiwan may be an exception.

Last edited by Bettafish; 06-08-2017 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 10:47 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
For that Chinese student, the problem is she intentionally smeared her hometown just to praise America. Kunming city actually has quite good air quality and people there certainly do not wear masks. I'm sure she faked her experience in the speech. If you were a proud citizen of Kunming, would you be unhappy too? In particular, Kunming is the "spring city" of China and tourism is a big section of economy there.

Yes she used that as a metaphor for freedom of speech. However using exaggerations is definitely a bad move. She could have said so many things in her graduation speech, representing international students, but she chose the cliché "my country sucks, America is great". I feel sorry for her.

In most Asian countries, criticizing your own homeland just to please foreigners is a big no no. Taiwan may be an exception.
At the end of the day, such behavior makes him/herself a laughing stock, even among the foreigners.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
At the end of the day, such behavior makes him/herself a laughing stock, even among the foreigners.
Which part of her speech is her trying to please foreigners? You seriously consider that praising a foreign country or publicly criticising their own instantly makes one a traitor? Ridiculous.

Her speech sounds heartfelt to me. She probably said what she said because she wanted China to improve. If she really hated China, she wouldn't even mention it. The disgusting, mean-spirited reactions and even threats she received once again proves that tolerance is not China's forte. And apparently it's not for Korea either, based on your comment.

I'm glad that people at least don't go crazy over some criticisms here and usually acknowledge that we are a ****ing mess.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:25 AM

503 posts, read 598,122 times
Which city is more cosmopolitan/international?

Old 06-09-2017, 06:50 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
What I said is very straightforward. Fog relies on dusts. Certain types of pollution generates dusts, and then it facilitates the formation of fog or smog. So there is an association with fog and pollution, but the details are much more than that.

South China is one of the cloudiest places in the world. Chengdu and Chongqing are the two major cities with the lowest annual sunshine in the world. Foreigners who are not familiar with the fact may think it is due to pollution only. I simply wanted to provide more information.

And as you implied, air quality and pollution are not the same thing. A sand storm (very common in north China in spring) will create horrible air quality, usually PM 2.5 500+, but it is not due to (man-made) pollution per se. On the other hand, south China rains a lot and it helps.
No, that is still incorrect. Heavy dust particulates are not a necessary component of fog. They are both affected by climactic conditions and can occur concurrently, but they are different things.

Put in this way--relative to other large urban areas in an industrialized regions of developing countries, Shanghai's air pollution is neither at the top or bottom for air pollution. That's not too crazy, right?

Anyhow, Shanghai is the much larger city in the comparison. I slightly prefer Taipei as it's busy, but seldom overwhelmingly so and I place a greater value on a fast and open internet. Shanghai certainly has a larger foreign population as it's a larger city overall, so that can be used as an argument that it's more cosmopolitan. I do think Taipei's media and entertainment mix is even more open than Shanghai to non-domestic production, so there's that. I also like the mountainous aspect of Taipei around its perimeter which can be a quick scenic visit, though the hikes up there are sometimes disappointingly litter strewn.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-09-2017 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 08:14 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Which part of her speech is her trying to please foreigners? You seriously consider that praising a foreign country or publicly criticising their own instantly makes one a traitor? Ridiculous.

Her speech sounds heartfelt to me. She probably said what she said because she wanted China to improve. If she really hated China, she wouldn't even mention it. The disgusting, mean-spirited reactions and even threats she received once again proves that tolerance is not China's forte. And apparently it's not for Korea either, based on your comment.

I'm glad that people at least don't go crazy over some criticisms here and usually acknowledge that we are a ****ing mess.
My comment was only referring to Bettafish's two final sentences, which were about a possible outcome that could happen in reality (and in the general sense, except for Taiwan) to someone who criticizes his/her own home country if his/her purpose of such behavior was "just to please foreigners" around him/herself. It was a comment about the general reality and mindset of the Asian population, not the speech itself. Simply put, it was an explanation of the general reality, not an expression of my own POV.

Is that enough to clarify your misunderstanding?

Last edited by OZpharmer; 06-11-2017 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
My comment was only referring to Bettafish's two final sentences, which were about a possible outcome that could happen in reality (and in the general sense, except for Taiwan) to someone who criticizes his/her own home country if his/her purpose of such behavior was "just to please foreigners" around him/herself. It was a comment about the general reality and mindset of the Asian population, not the speech itself. Simply put, it was an explanation of the general reality, not an expression of my own POV.

Is that enough to clarify your misunderstanding?
That applies to Taiwan to, but they usually have a not-so-hidden agenda, i.e. garbage business owners that have zero competitiveness on the international stage or talentless, trashy celebrities trying to appease to China.

Other than this kind of situation (which is less than ideal, of course), do you have any example of anyone criticising their own country for the sake of pleasing foreigners? When I see people being negative about their own country they usually make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia