Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 09:30 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,417,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
OP here. I must say, I'm really quite surprised that I came across this way.
It shouldn't be surprising. We are not allowed to say anything other than Korea is the best. Honest opnions are not allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 08:19 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
It shouldn't be surprising. We are not allowed to say anything other than Korea is the best. Honest opnions are not allowed.
For a dissenting view, I give you this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/asia...-ive-ever.html

(Of course, you already know about this thread, because you've posted in it. As have I.)

Old 12-21-2020, 08:25 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,417,425 times
Quote:
For a dissenting view, I give you this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/asia...-ive-ever.html

(Of course, you already know about this thread, because you've posted in it. As have I.)
Yes and look at all the knee jerk reactions.

Old 12-21-2020, 02:33 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,374,979 times
Quote:
Come on, having an honest opinion doesn’t make it automatically reasonable or insightful.

I guess we are all tired of this PC agenda in which everyone is offended about everything, but by making disdainful generalizations about whole nationalities/ethnic groups you are bound to get panned. It’s not different from someone saying that Latinos have the worst and most toxic culture, they are lazy, dirty, violent, disgustingly sexist, prone to gang culture, don’t care about the rules and are entitled to get privileges without having to work for them…

It’s not like the OP is suffering from online shaming or something; it’s that their post is just a childish rant.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,057 times
Competition ... can American compete in Korea? Ask yourself. Most Whites in South Africa and elsewhere are usually more successful than the local population. Except the Far East.

IQ and Race?

Old 01-18-2021, 01:51 AM

303 posts, read 128,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
This topic is silly. Is there a country that host more Americans than the other way around? It's the no.1 immigrant destination and will continue to be for decades to come. Korea is attractive to maybe SE Asians at most.
Australia, just.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics there were an estimated 108 000 American-born people residing in Australia in 2019. The most recent official estimate for Australian born residents of the US that I could find was around 90 000 (in 2018). Admittedly those are pretty close and are just estimates, but the most recent available census stats show the same thing (more Americans in Australia than vice versa, by around 15 000).

Old 01-18-2021, 05:49 AM

1,136 posts, read 527,521 times
Quote:
OP here. I must say, I'm really quite surprised that I came across this way. I'm a white American, and I visited South Korea in the summer of 2017. This was my first visit to any Asian country, so I have nothing in that region to compare it with. Let me tell you, I absolutely loved it there. In my opinion, they are more advanced than the United States in some areas. There is no major city in the U.S. that comes close to Seoul when it comes to the overall package of cleanliness, safety, modern amenities, well-maintained infrastructure, and all around "livability." I was so blown away that I honestly came away wondering, why wouldn't more Americans want to live in such an environment? Oh, and also, I have a number of Korean friends. I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

If you're wondering why I haven't moved there myself . . . well, it's kind of hard for a mid-50s man with a family to just yank up stakes and move halfway around the world. Not to mention, given that my Korean vocabulary consists of maybe 20 words at best, it would be awfully hard for me to find gainful employment there. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never live there. But I sure would love to visit again.

I can assure you, I have no ulterior motives. I understand that the immigration flow between the two countries, or really of any country and the United States, isn't going to be equal. But I was wondering why it would be so dramatically imbalanced, given how much South Korea has to offer.
The Philippines and Thailand are the most popular Asian countries attracting western residents.
Korea is cold, tense, dense and expensive when people compare. It is an advanced country allied with the US but colder than most of western Europe in winter.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:05 PM

387 posts, read 359,276 times
Quote:
What a ridiculous straw man. People are allowed to disagree with your opinions just as you're allowed to have them. Stop crying about people refuting you. If you can't tolerate discourse, don't engage in it to begin with.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,767,552 times
What kind of jobs can westerners do in South Korea, other than expats and English teachers?

Old 01-18-2021, 10:59 PM

303 posts, read 128,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
What kind of jobs can westerners do in South Korea, other than expats and English teachers?
I wasn't even aware that 'expat' was a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia