Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 09:39 PM

1,117 posts, read 845,721 times

Advertisements

South Korea is already one of the most densely-populated countries on Earth if you exclude small countries and city-states.

Even compared to other Asian countries.

Japan- 333 people per sq. km.
India- 411
Philippines- 365

South Korea- 516

It doesn't have much room for a bunch of immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 08:52 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,376,591 times
The United States is a ius solis state built by massive immigration from many parts of the world.
South Korea is a ius sanguinis ethnostate with a very distinctive culture.

No discussion about this topic may start without this key issue.

Even chronically-in-economic-crisis Argentina has much more immigration than developed South Korea. It’s just that Argentina is another state built by immigration, with a language spoken in many countries, from a language family very widespread around the world, with a script system used in more than half of the world, with a cultural background similar or at least relatable to a large amount of countries… just extrapolate this to a country that happens to be the biggest economic and cultural power of the world, and in which the international lingua franca is spoken. No matter how close their overall HDI might be, the net migration between both is bound to be deeply skewed.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
The United States is a ius solis state built by massive immigration from many parts of the world.
South Korea is a ius sanguinis ethnostate with a very distinctive culture.

No discussion about this topic may start without this key issue.
I lived in South Korea off and on from 1996-2008 and later Japan 2008-2013 and I'm still in Asia. That's the major difference between Asia and USA. You almost impossible to become Korean or Japanese or Filipino or CHinese or whatever else...but anyone on the planet can become American.

Not only that, but I've known plenty of Americans who lived and worked in South Korea for decades, only to be kicked out the day after they retire or their current work visa expires. It's just not possible for Americans to relocate to South Korea or become Korean or make a life there with any long-term stability. But anyone can go to the USA, become an American.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:23 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,467,133 times
This topic is silly. Is there a country that host more Americans than the other way around? It's the no.1 immigrant destination and will continue to be for decades to come. Korea is attractive to maybe SE Asians at most.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:46 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
This topic is silly. Is there a country that host more Americans than the other way around? It's the no.1 immigrant destination and will continue to be for decades to come. Korea is attractive to maybe SE Asians at most.
Please make sure to read the posts from Quora for the details:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-p...d-keep-in-mind

Old 12-17-2020, 01:21 AM

387 posts, read 359,942 times
Quote:
Yeah, it honestly seems like the OP has an axe to grind with South Korea. It's kind of a bizarre topic because you could insert so many other countries in place of South Korea in the thread title. Is it maybe a politically motivated thread trying to make a point about immigration that many white nationalists are always hammering on about? Or did the OP have some bad experiences with Koreans? Or is the OP a weeb, or nationalist of some other East Asian country, trying to depict South Korea in a bad light? Either way, I smell an ulterior motive.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:10 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,376,591 times
Quote:

Israel? Yes, it's a very special case.
Anyway, this question would make a better thread or prompt a more interesting analysis.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:47 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,806,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
Looks like most of the immigration to South Korea is from other parts of Asia. America is a big, prosperous country that attracts immigrants. South Korea is not exactly a place a lot of people want to immigrate to. Do you know anyone who wants to live there? Moderator cut: Personal attack
Yep, AFAIK, South Korea is a Korean ethno-state--so, much less welcoming to immigrants than, say, the US is.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:48 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,806,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
South Korea is already one of the most densely-populated countries on Earth if you exclude small countries and city-states.

Even compared to other Asian countries.

Japan- 333 people per sq. km.
India- 411
Philippines- 365

South Korea- 516

It doesn't have much room for a bunch of immigrants.
More room will be created during this century since South Korea's population might significantly fall by 2100 due to its chronically low total fertility rate. South Korean women are currently having what, 1.0 children per lifetime?

Old 12-20-2020, 05:52 PM

16,572 posts, read 10,679,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
Yeah, it honestly seems like the OP has an axe to grind with South Korea. It's kind of a bizarre topic because you could insert so many other countries in place of South Korea in the thread title. Is it maybe a politically motivated thread trying to make a point about immigration that many white nationalists are always hammering on about? Or did the OP have some bad experiences with Koreans? Or is the OP a weeb, or nationalist of some other East Asian country, trying to depict South Korea in a bad light? Either way, I smell an ulterior motive.
OP here. I must say, I'm really quite surprised that I came across this way. I'm a white American, and I visited South Korea in the summer of 2017. This was my first visit to any Asian country, so I have nothing in that region to compare it with. Let me tell you, I absolutely loved it there. In my opinion, they are more advanced than the United States in some areas. There is no major city in the U.S. that comes close to Seoul when it comes to the overall package of cleanliness, safety, modern amenities, well-maintained infrastructure, and all around "livability." I was so blown away that I honestly came away wondering, why wouldn't more Americans want to live in such an environment? Oh, and also, I have a number of Korean friends. I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

If you're wondering why I haven't moved there myself . . . well, it's kind of hard for a mid-50s man with a family to just yank up stakes and move halfway around the world. Not to mention, given that my Korean vocabulary consists of maybe 20 words at best, it would be awfully hard for me to find gainful employment there. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never live there. But I sure would love to visit again.

I can assure you, I have no ulterior motives. I understand that the immigration flow between the two countries, or really of any country and the United States, isn't going to be equal. But I was wondering why it would be so dramatically imbalanced, given how much South Korea has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia