Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:20 AM

564 posts, read 1,727,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
lebanon is still unsafe
I disagree. It's tense, is all. There's a political crisis, but that doesn't stop the Lebanese from going on with their lives. You can go to any night club in Lebanon and forget there even is a political crisis because people are partying beyond belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,902 times
Lebanon was once the "Switzerland" of the Middle East

Old 03-22-2008, 08:03 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,069 times
Everyone keep sending the oil dollars there. They need them to keep it going.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
bnepler

Only 10% of Dubai's GDP is made up of oil. With every passing year they become less dependent on it for revenue so they don't need petro dollars

link

Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 AM

57 posts, read 188,512 times
To all of you who have this image that Dubai is restricting to a Western lifestyle (meaning non-muslim etc.) you are wrong. I drink when and where I like except during Ramadan. It is futuristic and amazing and although being gay is illegal it is accepted due to most of the locals 'using' the services to save their virgin brides. Although the virgin brides are only such because they have another orafice or two that will suffice.

Lets not be naive about this, yes labour laws and treatment is bad but no worse than other places, they play on it because the 'rich should look after them better'. I have seen where these people live and it is far better than they would have back home. The safety aspect for workers is the worst though and people falling to their deaths from these skinny skyscrapers is common. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys end of.

Dubai is fabulous, cheap, great nightlife, excellent education, medical and living. I will say though that there is no culture to speak of and nothing for expat children to experience.

Yes the traffic is bad but slowly getting better, the accidents are very grim though People drive sooooo fast with no respect and with their lives in Allah's hands there is no hope.

Yes Dubailand has been described as the new DisneyWorld on Steroids and it will be rest assured. Dubai will have have the biggest racing establishment in the world as well as the richest horse race. It will have the tallest building, the longest canals, the fastest cars and the biggest malls.....................if that's what you want.

I love the hotels, the bars, the community, the schools, the brunches, the shopping, my car, my house, my friends, the weather, the desert, the camping, and the the list goes on.....................

Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You can be deported for having a Playboy Magazine in the country.
Remember the Muslim countries want to bury the USA and rule the world.
An ignorant post.
You are taking he most extreme view of the most extreme radicals (considered criminals even in their own countries) and applying that opinion to an entire region of the world. You could just as easily say that America wants to subdue Blacks because it has KKK members.

Yes, we are not particularly popular (nor trusted) in the Middle East - mainly because of our support of Israel - but that does NOT translate into the general population wanting to "bury the USA and rule the world".

Ken

Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM

118 posts, read 537,647 times
Wiki says 71% of Dubai is foreigners, of which 85% are Asian. Only 3% of the emirate is "Western"

Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt486 View Post
Wiki says 71% of Dubai is foreigners, of which 85% are Asian. Only 3% of the emirate is "Western"
My brother-in-law has been there a couple of times to meet some venture capitalists to invest in his software firm. He's East Indian and tells me Dubai is very racially segregated with a distinct hierarchy. On top are the Arabs, followed by Americans, European and other "Whites", then come folks like the Asians and Indians. He's had to resort to hiring a "White" guy as his sales rap so that he can gain access to the right people.

Virtually the entire work force is imported (mostly Indians or Asians) and they're not treated very well - with almost no rights.

Ken

Old 05-21-2008, 02:06 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
First of all, I think Dubai should be compared to other free ports such as Macao, Hong Kong and Singapore.

People in Tehran (particularly the northern part) have a lifestyle which is more in common with western countries. That includes even several western Turkish cities, and Beirut, where temperament and mentality of the people is alien to western civilisation, ask any Anglo-Celtic Australian about the behaviour of (especially young men towards women) Lebanese immigrants. Syrians and Lebanese are largely arabised, so they will show less typical characteristics. The Bedouins are often viewed as the original Arabs, who spread out from their original home in the Arab peninsula.

I would not consider Tehran typical for the region though. The Persians are an Indo-European people and therefore different from most other people in the region.
If you're interested to learn more I recommend reading American Iranologist Professor Richard Nelson Frye. According to Frye the Islamic revolution of 78-79 was the second Arabo-Muslim invasion of Iran.

Also keep in mind Dubai got an opportunity to flourish (otherwise it would probably have been Kish Island) after the Iranian revolution. A quarter of the population in Dubai is Iranian and there has been a large influx of Iranian money going in to Dubai.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:06 PM

422 posts, read 758,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I've heard Dubai described as Orlando on crack....sounds about right.
Yeah, if Orlando was run by Osama bin Laden maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia