Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If the U.S. is imperialist, we really do stink at it. Where is the conquered territory? What formerly independent country has come under U.S. control in the past 100 years, if not longer? Even when we win wars so completely that the defeated countries are helpless to stand against us (i.e. Germany and Japan in World War II), we don't take them over.

Honestly, I wish that we HAD been imperialist in the 1950s and completely subjugated North Korea. They, and we, and the rest of the world, would be incomparably better off today.
We control sea trade, we promote private imperialism through corporate control of other countries resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
We control sea trade, we promote private imperialism through corporate control of other countries resources.
Sea trade is as extensive as it is because the U.S. Navy stands silently in the background, prepared to use force if necessary to keep the sea lanes open.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
Bus Man, I wish I could like your post more than once, but the forum reg's won't allow me, lol.
Thanks, attisbons! I'll remember that you liked it, even if there's no "official" record of it!

Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Sea trade is as extensive as it is because the U.S. Navy stands silently in the background, prepared to use force if necessary to keep the sea lanes open.
The British claimed the same thing during pax Britannica. In reality the person in charge want to keep the system in place not out of altruism but out of self benefit.

If the US, IMF, etc. set the global trade standards and can use the rules on hand to spread US national companies to poor areas and steal their resources then its great.

If there is secular nationalism in said country that doesn't want to let the US in then we bomb and invade them.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:30 PM

It looks like Kim is laying down his arms: North Korea suspends nuclear and long-range missile tests | Daily Mail Online

Old 04-20-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
It's a very encouraging step, I'll certainly agree with that. Now we have to wait and see if it actually happens. If it does, I'd nominate Mr. Trump for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:33 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,975 times
Quote:
It's a very encouraging step, I'll certainly agree with that. Now we have to wait and see if it actually happens. If it does, I'd nominate Mr. Trump for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Lol, Trump had nothing to do with it. It was the leadership in China growing tired of Kims insanity and becoming amenable to pressuring him combined with S Korean President Moon's diplomatic timing.

Nothing definitive has happened yet and there is no indication that Kim is ready to surrender power and truly pursue reunification. We'll have to see how it plays out over the next few years.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...jae/553737002/

bahahahaha!

This is exactly what we need, peace and unity.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:15 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times
Quote:
The British claimed the same thing during pax Britannica. In reality the person in charge want to keep the system in place not out of altruism but out of self benefit.

If the US, IMF, etc. set the global trade standards and can use the rules on hand to spread US national companies to poor areas and steal their resources then its great.

If there is secular nationalism in said country that doesn't want to let the US in then we bomb and invade them.
Not the same thing. Great Britain would often pirate other ships cargo, actually the Dutch were even more infamous for doing so. The British would often not allow other countries to use their ports as well. The US may have a lot of influence via the IMF, WTO, and the UN, but our real influence comes via our massive consumeristic society. Most cargo ships in the world don’t sail under US flags, actually very few do.

Most countries follow US standards when it comes to shipping and trade. The same way California effects US environmental control by their own state standards, the US trade standards influence other countries. US standards defecto become global standards.

If China gets their way in the South China Sea, every country that sails through will have to use Chinese standards and get Chinese permission. They are already trying to implement this, but so far no country is complying with their ridiculous demands. It’s by far the largest trade route in the world and I’d much rather it be under regulation by the WTO and UN then China.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:02 PM

Exciting, right?

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/989668559126126597
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia