Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 06:59 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I have a white mom and Asian dad... I grew up in California, and you see these types of relationships a lot there.
Yeah, also in WA when I was a kid, I knew a number of kids with an Asian dad and white mom. My daughter is hapa and we do plan to raise her between CA and China/HK so that she has a more rounded sense of self identity than if she grew up elsewhere.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:06 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingwuwang92 View Post
At my home My mother is NO1. My father cooks. I never saw my mother cook. Many Chinese men are not interested in going to the United States. I have been to California once. But I don't want to go to the second time. I can't believe it. Many beggars in Losangeles Americans are not as tall I think Shandong men are taller than California men. (18 to 25 years old) Many California women are short. ..
Man you are reeeeeeeally hung up on this height thing... it makes you look very insecure.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:41 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That’s is laughably untrue for Asian culture. I’ve dated many Asian women, lived 4 years in my life in several Asian countries such as Japan, South Korea, China, etc.

There certainly is infidelity in all cultures, but I’ve never seen such nonsense as open and knowingly having mistresses that are acceptable by family members. Shame or losing face is very big in Asian culture so it’s not ok for men to just go cheat on their wives

Asian Americans didn’t become the highest median household income earners by having a bunch of deadbeat promiscuous fathers as head of the household.
According to research done at Renmin University 35% of Chinese men claim to have affairs. That doesnt count those who dont admit to having affairs. One would have to have a head under a rock not to notice it. Its on Chinese social media every single day.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/china-...y_2527334.html

Old 09-17-2018, 09:55 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
35% of Chinese men claim to have affairs.
is there a distinction with those who really keeps mistresses? having an affair and keeping a mistress is different i think. the latter must have money to afford it

Old 09-17-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
is there a distinction with those who really keeps mistresses? having an affair and keeping a mistress is different i think. the latter must have money to afford it
Sure there is a difference, the university asks if they have affairs, not mistresses. It's anybodies guess how many Chinese men have mistresses, but it's definitely more limited to wealthy or upper middle class. A poor man could have an affair, but its not likely he could afford a mistress.

In historical China many wealthy men and officials had mistresses, not only that but brothels and prostitution was fairly commonplace in historical China, it only "disappeared" during the cultural revolution, and now its back.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
They are a very dramatic family for sure. But from my experiences, not uncommon. After googling it, it appears my experiences are common.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...tress.amp.html
Such things do occur, but a "mistress dispeller" is far from common and that is why it became news. (Most Chinese never heard of it.)

While many men have affairs, I assume, it is very hard to maintain a mistress. Especially for ordinary middle class or lower class people, the energy and money involved in are overwhelming. Imagine you go to work every day, have a child and wife at home, and also have a full-time mistress!

Last edited by Bettafish; 09-17-2018 at 12:52 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 12:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Sure there is a difference, the university asks if they have affairs, not mistresses. It's anybodies guess how many Chinese men have mistresses, but it's definitely more limited to wealthy or upper middle class. A poor man could have an affair, but its not likely he could afford a mistress.

In historical China many wealthy men and officials had mistresses, not only that but brothels and prostitution was fairly commonplace in historical China, it only "disappeared" during the cultural revolution, and now its back.
Polygamy started to be outlawed in the Republic of China era, before the communists took over. Although it was still common then, it is not like every rich man had multiple wives or mistresses. For example, politicians at that time like Mao and Chiang all had one wife at one time (officially, at least).
My grandfather was quite rich before the communist revolution, but he had only one wife in his whole life. Many educated people advocated monogamy. Communists made it strict (although many communist leaders divorced their first wife to marry someone "better".)

Old 09-17-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Polygamy started to be outlawed in the Republic of China era, before the communists took over. Although it was still common then, it is not like every rich man had multiple wives or mistresses. For example, politicians at that time like Mao and Chiang all had one wife at one time (officially, at least).
My grandfather was quite rich before the communist revolution, but he had only one wife in his whole life. Many educated people advocated monogamy. Communists made it strict (although many communist leaders divorced their first wife to marry someone "better".)
I dont mean to imply polygamy exists in modern China. The communists were strict on monogamy and it became quite uncommon for a few decades until the 80-90s and affairs and keeping mistresses started to increase. Today, China has one of the highest infedility rates and divorce rates in the world. China will likely surpass the US in divorce within a few years.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:20 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
This is the ASIA forum, not the ASIAN forum. This type of discussion might belong in the Relationships or Psychology forum, if even allowed there.

THREAD CLOSED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia