Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 01:12 PM

497 posts, read 696,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
For one, Trump could have marshaled resources and policies early on instead of denying or downplaying the threat. That's a start. He should have listened more to the experts instead of issuing misinformation through tweets - and have a consistent message - which would better reassure the public. Be a leader. As of now, the initiatives are coming from the states and localities.

Japan fumbled the Diamond Princess situation but were able to recover from that. No country's response is going to be perfect.
Did any leader do that? It doesn't look like any country got a jumpstart on it. I am not defending Trump and I didn't vote for him, but I haven't seen a single country get ahead of the virus. The WHO didn't even want to declare it a global emergency as of late January - "The WHO declined at two emergency meetings last week to declare the virus a global health emergency." - source: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/29/who-...e-concern.html

I hate to focus so much on Japan, but I was living there up until a few weeks ago, and they had not marshaled any resources or implemented any policies - aside from the typical "urging" that the government does. What did they do to "recover" from it? Nothing that I know of, but that is why I would like more open and honest discussions about Japan and why things are so different right now. I hope they continue to not feel the effects of COVID-19, and I hope we can look at what was done and why it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Both Japan and China are handling it great, but look at Korea: they're trying to be some sort of American colony in Asia and ended up worse, can't be coincidence.
How is Japan handling it so great? What are they doing that has worked in your opinion? Not testing?

And please, you want to talk about how great China is handling it? Really? We wouldn't be in this boat if it wasn't for China. Or are you suggesting that the US use the same heavy handed measures that China used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 03:28 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Most people will agree it was partially China's fault to spread it given the whole bat eating and the "great" cleanness among most inner-country Chinese restaurants yet they did a good job at containing it as of now.

Japan has been nothing short of admirable, again given the number of Chinese and the population density of Tokyo. Korea in comparison did far worse with the same amount of pop. density, money, hospitals etc.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:08 AM

2,264 posts, read 971,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira kira View Post
. . . but I haven't seen a single country get ahead of the virus. . .
Yoo-hoo! Taiwan. Despite having thousands of returning citizens from Wuhan and its proximity to and many links to China, as well as its densely populated cities.

Total number of cases so far: 235 (197 infected abroad; 38 infected due to community transmission). Deaths: 2. No lock downs, layoffs, businesses shutdown, or social distancing (too densely populated). Schools open.

Why?

1. Government marshaled industry to produce 13 million surgical and N95 masks per day for a population of 23 million.
2. 95% of people wear masks in public.
3. Hand sanitizers at entrances to most buildings.
4. Temperature taken at most buildings. Must be below 37.5C to enter
5. Aggressive contact tracing
6. 14 day quarantine for anyone entering country with fines up to 30,000 USD for violations.

Two weeks ago:
Quote:
Among the new patients, three are believed to have contracted the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) locally, said Health Minister Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the CECC.

One of the three, a woman in her 20s, is a nurse at a nursing home. So far, 81 doctors, nurses and residents at the nursing home have been tested for COVID-19, and all have tested negative, according to Chen.
Subsequently none of the staff or residents contracted the coronavirus from the nurse. Why? She was wearing a mask.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post

It's true Taiwan seem to be doing great but China still has them by the ... so I don't entirely trust anything from HK or Taiwan. Japan again seems as the most credible and also the best at handling it.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
A government panel said Thursday new coronavirus infections in Japan are highly likely to be "rampant," an assessment that triggered the launch of a national headquarters to enable Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to declare an emergency if needed.

The headquarters' launch, based on a legal change that became effective earlier in the month, comes as concerns grow about a spike in infections in urban areas.

Following the largest daily increase of 41 infection cases in Tokyo on Wednesday, Gov. Yuriko Koike is asking Tokyoites to stay home this weekend. The governors of neighboring Kanagawa and Saitama prefectures on Thursday called on residents to refrain from nonessential outings. Chiba, Gunma, Tochigi and Yamanashi prefectures advised their residents not to go to Tokyo during the weekend.

--Gov't panel says coronavirus infections feared "rampant" in Japan

Old 03-26-2020, 07:47 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Tokyo is going into lockdown which has spurred panic buying of food and other necessities ahead of the weekend. Neighboring prefectures are being told to stay out of the city. Same with Kanagawa.

link

Old 03-26-2020, 08:14 AM

497 posts, read 696,131 times
Here's another article.

Telework, stockpiling spread in Tokyo after Koike's press conference
https://japantoday.com/category/nati...er-coronavirus

Old 03-26-2020, 10:00 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-p...103254046.html

Old 03-27-2020, 10:17 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Looks like we may have spoken too soon, and Japan is not out of the woods yet.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/n...27_37/amp.html

Old 03-27-2020, 01:19 PM

^ How is 40 cases in a day "explosion" in a city of 30 million? My country brags about being the less affected and we had similar number today, we aren't close to China at all. It's still good times for Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia