Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 10:57 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,936,508 times

Advertisements

It's hard to get real info with what's going on because this is such a fluid situation. But I'm trying to reach out to people that might have more info than I'm finding.

We have a trip planned and booked from the USA to Singapore in early July. We will be there for 4 days before moving on to Australia. We are trying to keep this trip intact because I don't think we will ever have a chance to do this again do to logistics.

Does anybody think there is a chance we will be able to still safely travel to Singapore in July and things be relatively back to normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 11:15 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,186,376 times
Yes I think there is a chance. There's also a chance Singapore won't allow Americans in. It's still a fluid situation so just wait a bit longer.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:36 AM

653 posts, read 744,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's hard to get real info with what's going on because this is such a fluid situation. But I'm trying to reach out to people that might have more info than I'm finding.

We have a trip planned and booked from the USA to Singapore in early July. We will be there for 4 days before moving on to Australia. We are trying to keep this trip intact because I don't think we will ever have a chance to do this again do to logistics.

Does anybody think there is a chance we will be able to still safely travel to Singapore in July and things be relatively back to normal?
Honestly speaking, its very hard top say.

My best bet is by mid-June, this whole thing would blow over. But its almost impossible to say for sure.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:07 AM

2,326 posts, read 1,542,894 times
I cannot speak about Singapore but it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to move on to Australia unless you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident. We are expecting our borders to be closed for the rest of the year. Returning citizens are being quarantined in hotels, under military guard, for fourteen days at the moment and there is no talk of lifting this requirement. The borders are also closed between most of the states. Someone was on tv tonight who has just had to go into quarantine for the third time, once for returning from overseas, once for travelling to their state and now because there was a positive case on their flight.

We are only having about 10 to 20 new infections a day and restrictions are starting to be lifted. But the last will be the borders. Most of our cases were from returning travellers, not community transmission and no one wants a influx of travellers anytime soon.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:12 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,525,746 times
Singapore's such a tough place that I don't know that they allow germs there. Get caught stealing there, and they'll cane you. Crime's non-existent.

Seriously, I think they fared the virus better than other places in that part of the world. We see a charter freight 747 coming into our town almost daily, so commerce is still going back and forth.

But I'd be surprised if Australia opens up in the near future.

We cancelled our trip a couple of weeks ago to Europe, and have no idea when we'll be able to return.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:56 PM

8,509 posts, read 6,926,419 times
It’s really just a guess. The situation there is fluid and the government is monitoring the Covid numbers. Right now there is a stay at home policy in effect. The government calls it a Circuit Breaker. Heavy fines and even jail time for breaking the new laws

The problem seems to be concentrated in the housing for foreign workers who do much of the manual labor in the country. The workers are packed into temporary dormitory style housing. Pockets of the virus seem to have developed in those areas.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:19 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,829,682 times
Currently short term visitors are not allowed till further announcements Is made in Singapore

I do hope your flight and hotel bookings allow of rescheduling or cancellation in the events things are still tensed here in Singapore

But it is really hard to say at this point if you can enter in July

Old 04-27-2020, 08:29 AM

1,136 posts, read 528,955 times
It is hard to predict as the cases are not low recently.
You can also expect the 14 days mandatory quarantine after entering countries.

Some say summer heat will be bad for the virus and good for people but Singapore as a tropical country still has it now.
There is also an expectation that cases may increase in Australia in winter.
Australia may reopen again, but it will surely close again when situation suddenly turns bad.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:05 AM

2,326 posts, read 1,542,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
It is hard to predict as the cases are not low recently.
You can also expect the 14 days mandatory quarantine after entering countries.

Some say summer heat will be bad for the virus and good for people but Singapore as a tropical country still has it now.
There is also an expectation that cases may increase in Australia in winter.
Australia may reopen again, but it will surely close again when situation suddenly turns bad.
We really do not expect any large increase in cases in Australia in winter because most cases have been imported, not spread within the community. Now that the borders are closed and any returning residents are isolated in hotels for fourteen days, there is not a lot of scope for new cases to spread. Plus winter here is not very cold.

Also we have just had a type of contact app released, forty eight hours ago. They are hoping six million people will choose to upload it and on Sunday night, one million did so in the first four hours.

But in order to keep this all under control the borders have to be kept under control. It is my guess that when they do open people will continue to be isolated and expected to pay the cost.

Not good for tourists at all and I would not be planning a visit here this year.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:54 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,981,060 times
The virus hit singapore relatively late. July is a push, as it would be for Bangkok, where I live. I am thinking October may even be questionable for me to visit the us..mostly because it might be difficult to get back in to Thailand, even with a long stay visa..14 day quarantine, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia