Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 12:01 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,849 times

Advertisements

HK and Taiwan have similarities and differences. On average HK is more cosmopolitan and has more international culture; TW is more affordable and has more personal space. Depending on the focus, the preference can be difference.

I think the housing price, or the space you get for the same amount of money, is very very attractive to HKers who have to live in such tight space.

As an average world citizen I look for a certain "mix" of certain important things in a city -- Modern amenities, good food, good climate, safety, stunning natural features (which SG lacks), activities to pass time, economic robustness, outlook for future, etc. Kaohsiung seems to score below average in most categories, which is surprising for a city of the purported population, total or city center.

I think Kaohsiung's issue is spreading the resources too thin. There seems to be multiple "downtown" area, all not too buzy. The coastline looks like has a few stretches of good sand beaches and rocky shores, but they are too underdeveloped.

How hard is it to throw a party? In Thailand even splashing water can become an international attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 01:33 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
They were ruled by the British and Japanese. Great differences.
Having similar appearances mean HK Chinese are less likely discriminated in Taiwan and Mainland China than in other continents. Having more education and money on average than most other Asian women moving to Taiwan means HK women are less likely bullied in Taiwan. But HK Chinese's mandarin accent may sound obviously different and regarded as non standard in Taiwan and Mainland China.

For the overseas Chinese and other people who can't use the Chinese language, living in Taiwan is more difficult because English, Japanese and other non Chinese languages aren't commonly used in Taiwan. The use of English in Taiwan is low comparing with neigboring Phillippines , Malaysia, South Korea and HK. Thailand is more attractive to most people, cities in Thailand have sizeable foreign population unable to use the thai language.

Last edited by Tomboy-; 08-28-2020 at 01:44 AM..

Old 09-01-2020, 12:54 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
does Kaohsiung compare at all to Taipei? Or is it really a distant second fiddle? Is there another city that does somewhat compete with Taipei? Or is Taipei just reign supreme as THE city to be in Taiwan?

Old 09-01-2020, 06:12 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
does Kaohsiung compare at all to Taipei? Or is it really a distant second fiddle? Is there another city that does somewhat compete with Taipei? Or is Taipei just reign supreme as THE city to be in Taiwan?
Taipei reigns supreme if supreme is cosmopolitan city lifestyle. I say this having never been to KHH and of my ~30 days in Taiwan I've spent prob less than 2 days outside TPE...but I can say this pretty certainly.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:21 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,849 times
Quote:
I'm beginning to realize Kaohsiung is very far behind Taipei, and believe it will fall further behind in the future as resources continue to focus on the north side.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:12 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Taipei is hands down the center of the country. Outside of its official borders, the metropolitan area consists of at the very least Taipei City, New Taipei City, Keelung and Taoyuan which is nearly half the country's population. It's the political, economic, and media capital of the country, so no city including Kaohsiung competes with Taipei in the country. However, the smaller cities have different attractions, settings, and price points and are generally still pretty fun to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I'm beginning to realize Kaohsiung is very far behind Taipei, and believe it will fall further behind in the future as resources continue to focus on the north side.
Taichung is actually getting a lot of investment, so not just the northside. Kaohsiung's sort of in a transitional period and there are some decent-sized investments going in especially trying to attract visitors. There's also a bit of infrastructure work such as double-tracking/electrification of some rail lines to it and the finishing of the circular light rail line.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Taipei reigns supreme if supreme is cosmopolitan city lifestyle. I say this having never been to KHH and of my ~30 days in Taiwan I've spent prob less than 2 days outside TPE...but I can say this pretty certainly.
That's good info! I'll definitely have to focus on Taipei whenever COVID ends, and travel resumes. It does look like a pretty cool metro though, complete with hiking and tropical lush forest looking stuff within a quick strike from the city itself. I was also google mapping and even New Taipei looks great.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Taipei is hands down the center of the country. Outside of its official borders, the metropolitan area consists of at the very least Taipei City, New Taipei City, Keelung and Taoyuan which is nearly half the country's population. It's the political, economic, and media capital of the country, so no city including Kaohsiung competes with Taipei in the country. However, the smaller cities have different attractions, settings, and price points and are generally still pretty fun to me.

Taichung is actually getting a lot of investment, so not just the northside. Kaohsiung's sort of in a transitional period and there are some decent-sized investments going in especially trying to attract visitors. There's also a bit of infrastructure work such as double-tracking/electrification of some rail lines to it and the finishing of the circular light rail line.
Very good info!

I was just browsing some blurbs about Kaohsiung, it seems it was predominately a port city for shipping, with some converted warehouses now....I'm sure it has it's own thing going on...

But, it seems like Taipei and vicinity is where I'd want to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia