Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 11:29 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Someone is contradicting himself by saying Chinese wet markets suck in his previous post and then suddenly saying they are great.
Who?

Quote:
In HK, at most medium to cheap vegetarian restaurants, the staff can't answer questions in English. Some but not all may have English menu. Customers should trust 100% vegetarian if the place is related to a religion. Takeaway Salads in HK are common but it is much cheaper preparing it by yourself.
I never experienced this when I was in HK. even the smaller/cheaper ones, I could at least converse in basic english as it related to the menu... Same as going into a 7-11 or pretty much anywhere else tbh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 01:11 PM

671 posts, read 315,216 times
please stay in the US until covid is not a thing anymore. There are obviously red tape in hong kong to deter against travelers from covid infested countries. The US is one of those countries.
it's not a good time to travel now, let alone moving to a new place. You would not be able to get used to the strict measures to prevent the spread of covid compare to the US.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:48 PM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
People in HK stare at foreigners not wearing masks or wearing improperly. People assume westerners care less about the pandemic or not follow health advice, avoid sitting or standing near westerners if possible.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
People in HK stare at foreigners not wearing masks or wearing improperly. People assume westerners care less about the pandemic or not follow health advice, avoid sitting or standing near westerners if possible.
Do you have any personal experience with this? Because none of the numerous expat friends I have in HK have complained about having people avoid them, though it is a thing on the mainland.

I didnt have any significant experiences with it in SZ, but over the last few weeks have been in Foshan and GZ and people are much more paranoid even though I'm wearing a mask. It's obnoxious but, people are stupid.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Do you have any personal experience with this? Because none of the numerous expat friends I have in HK have complained about having people avoid them, though it is a thing on the mainland.

I didnt have any significant experiences with it in SZ, but over the last few weeks have been in Foshan and GZ and people are much more paranoid even though I'm wearing a mask. It's obnoxious but, people are stupid.
well, if you actually read about the daily numbers in the US and Europe, you would be paranoid of your own kin too.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
well, if you actually read about the daily numbers in the US and Europe, you would be paranoid of your own kin too.
And if you were aware that China doesn't admit anyone from other countries in and that any foreigner you see here has been here since the start of the pandemic and is walking around wearing a mask, you'd hopefully not react like a xenophobic moron, but that's frequently too much to ask I suppose.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
And if you were aware that China doesn't admit anyone from other countries in and that any foreigner you see here has been here since the start of the pandemic and is walking around wearing a mask, you'd hopefully not react like a xenophobic moron, but that's frequently too much to ask I suppose.
not really, they are still reporting foreign import cases. concerns are higher in guandong, which borders hong kong, where the infection was not under controlled until recently.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
not really, they are still reporting foreign import cases. concerns are higher in guandong, which borders hong kong, where the infection was not under controlled until recently.
It shouldn't be hard to figure out, though: border is closed to all foreign nationals; all people coming into China from abroad are Chinese; thus, all imported cases must have been brought in by Chinese nationals.

There is literally no reason for people to fear a foreigner wearing a mask, especially when you've got locals walking around *not* wearing masks.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:03 PM

I'll also add that I'm extra frustrated on this issue because yesterday when we were at a mall in GZ, my daughter (who errs on the side of more foreign looking due to her red, curly hair and extreme height for her age), who was wearing mask, coughed a couple times - she's a kid, they do that.

A woman with a son about my daughter's age saw us coming, looked horrified, put her hands on him to move him, and then when my daughter coughed (again, while wearing a mask), she yanked him away like he was about to get hit by a semi truck.

It was repulsive behavior on her part. Utterly racist and xenophobic, and I told her as much. My wife snapped at her that we've been here all through the virus time. She couldn't look at us, which was fine by me. She deserves as much shame as the idiots in the West who are terrified of Asians.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
It shouldn't be hard to figure out, though: border is closed to all foreign nationals; all people coming into China from abroad are Chinese; thus, all imported cases must have been brought in by Chinese nationals.

There is literally no reason for people to fear a foreigner wearing a mask, especially when you've got locals walking around *not* wearing masks.
borders are closed to foreigners except for hong kong. health code are required every where except for again, hong kong. and when the most important person in the US tests positive, you would get more bad looks in public, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia