Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 12:21 AM

671 posts, read 315,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'll also add that I'm extra frustrated on this issue because yesterday when we were at a mall in GZ, my daughter (who errs on the side of more foreign looking due to her red, curly hair and extreme height for her age), who was wearing mask, coughed a couple times - she's a kid, they do that.

A woman with a son about my daughter's age saw us coming, looked horrified, put her hands on him to move him, and then when my daughter coughed (again, while wearing a mask), she yanked him away like he was about to get hit by a semi truck.

It was repulsive behavior on her part. Utterly racist and xenophobic, and I told her as much. My wife snapped at her that we've been here all through the virus time. She couldn't look at us, which was fine by me. She deserves as much shame as the idiots in the West who are terrified of Asians.
nope, asians have the the lowest infected rates in the US, and in the world. It's not racists or xenophobic, it's just being careful knowing that non-asians have the highest chance of carrying the virus. When even the most powerful man in US and UK gets infected, what makes others think about US/UK looking foreigners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 12:44 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
nope, asians have the the lowest infected rates in the US, and in the world. It's not racists or xenophobic, it's just being careful knowing that non-asians have the highest chance of carrying the virus. When even the most powerful man in US and UK gets infected, what makes others think about US/UK looking foreigners?
You're being obtuse, or perhaps taking some form of glee in countering racism with racism. The border with HK is only open to Chinese people, not to foreigners. The point remains the same: every foreigner you see in China has been here the whole time, all the same as any Chinese person. There is absolutely no reason at all to assume that any foreigner in China is any more likely to be infected than any Chinese person, especially since we are scrutinized much more heavily than locals.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:51 AM

What is your opinion on racist outbursts and overt acts of avoidance towards Asians in Western countries early on in the pandemic? Were people justified in doing so because at that time, China led the world in infections?

Old 10-02-2020, 02:21 AM

671 posts, read 315,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
What is your opinion on racist outbursts and overt acts of avoidance towards Asians in Western countries early on in the pandemic? Were people justified in doing so because at that time, China led the world in infections?
again, acts of avoidance is not racists outbursts. There is huge difference between avoiding and physically attacking hate crimes.

I 'm actually supporting the acts of forcefully quarantining for at least 14 days for anyone travelling into the US from china/italy/whatever place that has the outbreak. We won't be in this mess had we done that.

we have asian americans being targets of violent crimes and BLM movement here, yet you're complaining about people giving you looks in china. That's some american exceptionism right there.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
again, acts of avoidance is not racists outbursts. There is huge difference between avoiding and physically attacking hate crimes.

I 'm actually supporting the acts of forcefully quarantining for at least 14 days for anyone travelling into the US from china/italy/whatever place that has the outbreak. We won't be in this mess had we done that.

we have asian americans being targets of violent crimes and BLM movement here, yet you're complaining about people giving you looks in china. That's some american exceptionism right there.
American exceptionalism I'm complaining about people being racist towards my four year old daughter, which I think is entirely reasonable. You are really going out on a limb here to justify xenophobia as it suits you - I recall you discounting my opinion on TCM specifically because I'm not ethnically Chinese, which taken with this makes your opinions on racism as it intersects with your identity quite clear. I've got no desire to continue this banter back and forth with someone who is basically saying that they don't care about treating people with hostility based on race, which is racism.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:14 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
That's just rubbish. COVID-19 doesn't distinguish between people of nationalities. Anyone can be infected or carry the virus.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
I am surprised no one talks about housing,I hope your employer will provide housing for the family
The American COUnsulate would be a good place-where the local expat watering hole is,how to hire a maid etc

Old 04-22-2021, 10:30 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,938 times
Quote:

In asia, avoiding foreign looking people or women avoiding men who talk rudely, strange behaviors or bad smell are very common. The smaller the city or more inland a foreigner go, the more looks from people. Physical attacks because of race or ethnic differences are very rare.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:28 PM

HK is very crowded and polluted,everywhere you go there are people,cars and buses.
Its subway system is great,but people,people everywhere.
There are vegetarian restaurants a la Chinese style-bean curd,greens,rice,tarro,****ake mushroom,bamboo shoots,wooden ears(black),rice vermicelli,I hope you are not allergic to soy bean and soybean products.
I believe you cant drink tap water,you have to boil them first.
I hope you are not a large size person by Asian standard,as most bath tubs would be too small for you.
The best part about HK is their buffet,the best one is the Shangri La hotel buffet,it is to kill for,it has Malay,European,Chinese,Italian,Japanese dishes.
ALSO if yougo to a Chinese restaurants,it is always very noisy,as people talk loudly ,no one whisper!
As for prices,everything costs the same or more than US,but you dont have to pay sales tax.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:31 PM

There is an US expatriate watering hole in an area called Lai Kwai fong,something which sound like that,you can google and find out more.
Is DH 's employer paying for housing,has it found a place yet?
If not,good luck finding one .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia