Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 12:59 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,030,916 times

Advertisements

Indians here and in home country are furious at Biden Admin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4diq44Pwk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 01:13 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
US wants bases in exchange for raw materials. They can't get basing from Central Asian states because of their hostility toward Russia. China has offered to help despite tensions between the two governments.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dipl...break-after-us

Indians in US protest US policy

Abrupt turnaround in policy after China stepped in.

Last edited by lchoro; 04-25-2021 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 02:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Indians here and in home country are furious at Biden Admin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4diq44Pwk
The opening rhetoric of this video is ridiculous. This guy´s level of anger and choice of words would make you think that Biden just bombed all major cities in India.

That being said, India is an important US ally, and it looks like at least some help is on the way:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/25/p...tes/index.html

We don´t have a crystal ball of course, but I find the idea that Trump would be sticking his neck out there to help India right now to be absurd.

Things are also getting terrible here in Colombia, and this country is pretty much up s---´s creek with the vaccination situation as well. 40% of our supply is Sinovac, which is barely even acceptable in terms of efficacy. Lord knows what effect it will have with newer strains. Careful with the bones China throws at the world.

You´ve got 2 tiers of countries right now, folks. I pray things will level out soon.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:52 PM

They're shipping the bad AstraZeneca vaccine to India, Canada, and Mexico.

US medical advisors are saying they wouldn't take it

One adviser told CNN that federal health officials have privately expressed concern that offering AstraZeneca could increase vaccine hesitancy in the US, which is already a problem among some groups.

"I think they're crossing their fingers that AstraZeneca won't apply for emergency use authorization," the adviser said. "This vaccine has a checkered past. There's baggage. Why go down that road if we don't have to?"

There is a very good background on the stalemate and the US still likely to come back to India and demand basing in exchange for vaccine they don't want..

Tradeoff for US vaccine

Didn't watch the video. Already knew about the Indians for India movement, but China's offer was clearly what pushed them to act.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They're shipping the bad AstraZeneca vaccine to India, Canada, and Mexico.

US medical advisors are saying they wouldn't take it

One adviser told CNN that federal health officials have privately expressed concern that offering AstraZeneca could increase vaccine hesitancy in the US, which is already a problem among some groups.

"I think they're crossing their fingers that AstraZeneca won't apply for emergency use authorization," the adviser said. "This vaccine has a checkered past. There's baggage. Why go down that road if we don't have to?"

There is a very good background on the stalemate and the US still likely to come back to India and demand basing in exchange for vaccine they don't want..

Tradeoff for US vaccine

Didn't watch the video. Already knew about the Indians for India movement, but China's offer was clearly what pushed them to act.
I think that has more to do with the stupidity and "First World Problem" of the anti-vax movement in places like the United States. I´d take Astra Zeneca gladly if it were offered to me, but some of these morons have followed a very predictable path from March 2020 to now...

Step One: This is a hoax

Step Two: This is only a flu

Step Three: Finally the economy is opening up like I´ve been screaming, but I refuse to hold up my end of the deal and wear a mask

Step Four: I won´t get vaccinated

Step Five: I might get the shot, but vaccination cards are a violation of my free-dumbs

I assume that Johnson and Johnson will also be dragged through the mud by the same set of people, even though the number of people who have had complications is/was so very low.

I´d be interested to see how the story you shared plays out. Indianpunchiline isn´t exactly a reputed media source, but rather some dude´s blog. If he´s on to something though and it comes true, I give him all the credit.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:04 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I think that has more to do with the stupidity and "First World Problem" of the anti-vax movement in places like the United States.
It is not just that, its a bad vaccine.

I am from Norway, which ordered a lot of AstraZeneca and does not have an anti-vax movement. Norway just decided to not use it and give the vaccines away.

The first concern with AstraZeneca was the lack of efficiancy among old age groups. This made many countries like Germany limit the usage to old people. They did reverse the decision, but the damage was already done. But what really made Norway make the decision was that it had a nasty side effect. A small percentage of people who got AstraZeneca died from blood clots. Norway is a pro-vaccine country, but the leaders worried it would not stay that way if they forced people to get AstraZeneca, so they decided to stop using it and use other vaccines such as Moderna and Pfizer.

Last edited by Camlon; 04-25-2021 at 06:14 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 07:12 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
It is not just that, its a bad vaccine.

I am from Norway, which ordered a lot of AstraZeneca and does not have an anti-vax movement. Norway just decided to not use it and give the vaccines away.

The first concern with AstraZeneca was the lack of efficiancy among old age groups. This made many countries like Germany limit the usage to old people. They did reverse the decision, but the damage was already done. But what really made Norway make the decision was that it had a nasty side effect. A small percentage of people who got AstraZeneca died from blood clots. Norway is a pro-vaccine country, but the leaders worried it would not stay that way if they forced people to get AstraZeneca, so they decided to stop using it and use other vaccines such as Moderna and Pfizer.
That is all very well if countries have access to other vaccines. The main vaccine we have here at this time is AstaZeneca and it has been restricted now to over50s because of the small risk of clotting. Pfizer was initially planned for only front line border and medical staff and residents and workers in aged care and disability facilities.

Now we are way behind in the vaccination program as AZ was partly withheld by the EU and the extra Pfizer will not arrive until late in the year. Some people are indeed worried about the risks of AZ. But almost everyone I know is prepared to take the risk. There are risks with everything in life, with all medications. If we do not all get vaccinated the borders will stay shut for a long time. The UK has used AZ extensively with very good results.

You in Norway are an especially privileged bunch of people, not only being in one of the world’s wealthiest countries but also relatively central. I just loved Norway but it is the absolute opposite of somewhere like India, where life comes with a lot more risks.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I think that has more to do with the stupidity and "First World Problem" of the anti-vax movement in places like the United States. I´d take Astra Zeneca gladly if it were offered to me, but some of these morons have followed a very predictable path from March 2020 to now...

Step One: This is a hoax

Step Two: This is only a flu

Step Three: Finally the economy is opening up like I´ve been screaming, but I refuse to hold up my end of the deal and wear a mask

Step Four: I won´t get vaccinated

Step Five: I might get the shot, but vaccination cards are a violation of my free-dumbs

I assume that Johnson and Johnson will also be dragged through the mud by the same set of people, even though the number of people who have had complications is/was so very low.

I´d be interested to see how the story you shared plays out. Indianpunchiline isn´t exactly a reputed media source, but rather some dude´s blog. If he´s on to something though and it comes true, I give him all the credit.
It has to do with the vaccine being given in a concentrated period of time. So the total deaths and blood clots will be quite large if you give it to every adult. There'll be at least 4000 cases in the 3 to 6 months. So the medical official is right. This will hit the news and hurt the vaccination program. The other part is that most of the seniors have already received the vaccine first. The young women who are most at risk from blood clots are not a high risk group for Covid. They're going into vaccination with the attitude that they are doing it for the good of society so that taking a bullet for everyone's good is not what they had in mind.

In any event, it was stupid to hoard vaccine materials since India is also manufacturing the vaccines for EU and the EU is blaming them for the supply shortage.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:02 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
That is all very well if countries have access to other vaccines. The main vaccine we have here at this time is AstaZeneca and it has been restricted now to over50s because of the small risk of clotting. Pfizer was initially planned for only front line border and medical staff and residents and workers in aged care and disability facilities.

Now we are way behind in the vaccination program as AZ was partly withheld by the EU and the extra Pfizer will not arrive until late in the year. Some people are indeed worried about the risks of AZ. But almost everyone I know is prepared to take the risk. There are risks with everything in life, with all medications. If we do not all get vaccinated the borders will stay shut for a long time. The UK has used AZ extensively with very good results.

You in Norway are an especially privileged bunch of people, not only being in one of the world’s wealthiest countries but also relatively central. I just loved Norway but it is the absolute opposite of somewhere like India, where life comes with a lot more risks.
True, it is definitely better than nothing.

However, the person I answered first criticized Sinovac for being ineffecitve, while immediately jumping at the defence of AstraZeneca and claiming the one who criticize are anti-vax. Both vaccines are definitely better than nothing and if Colombia had managed to fully vaccinate their population with Sinovac or any other vaccine, then they would not have their current covid wave.

I actually live in China and feel more privileged than Norwegians at the moment. In the beginning, Norway did not take it seriously and made lots of bad decisions, which I found very frustrating. When they eventually started making better decisions, then Norwegians have to live under constant restrictions that makes life quite boring. Here in China, life is almost back to normal.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:20 PM

10,079 posts, read 14,952,774 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLd1nR6Vzk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmV631kroUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEmx06ZVlN4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia