Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Country with the lowest cost of living?
Philippines 6 31.58%
Vietnam 2 10.53%
China 0 0%
Malaysia 1 5.26%
Cambodia 2 10.53%
Thailand 2 10.53%
Indonesia 0 0%
Taiwan 1 5.26%
Korea 1 5.26%
Japan 1 5.26%
Singapore 0 0%
Other 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 09:53 AM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

A word of caution here.

After retiring I moved to Thailand because I liked the culture. No, I wasn't a sex tourist. And it was not based on any expectation that I could live remarkably cheaply. Having spent a great deal of time there over nearly 20 years, I knew the reality.

Anyone expecting to live in Bangkok cheaply needs to stop and consider what I'll refer to as life style. Can you find a very basic studio apartment (if you even want to call it that) for cheap in Bangkok? Yes, you can. But what one needs to do is take the lifestyle you have in the States (or wherever) and figure out how much that lifestyle will cost in Bangkok. I lived in a very nice, though not luxurious, garden style apartment in Bangkok, and while it was not overly expensive, it was not cheap. Some aspects -- such as food -- are much cheaper. But you don't want to just eat street food (unless you like "walking around stomach").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 09:58 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times
work hard your whole life so you can retire as a third world peasant? No thanks.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:01 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A word of caution here.

After retiring I moved to Thailand because I liked the culture. No, I wasn't a sex tourist. And it was not based on any expectation that I could live remarkably cheaply. Having spent a great deal of time there over nearly 20 years, I knew the reality.

Anyone expecting to live in Bangkok cheaply needs to stop and consider what I'll refer to as life style. Can you find a very basic studio apartment (if you even want to call it that) for cheap in Bangkok? Yes, you can. But what one needs to do is take the lifestyle you have in the States (or wherever) and figure out how much that lifestyle will cost in Bangkok. I lived in a very nice, though not luxurious, garden style apartment in Bangkok, and while it was not overly expensive, it was not cheap. Some aspects -- such as food -- are much cheaper. But you don't want to just eat street food (unless you like "walking around stomach").

Great point! My wife and I will try to retire in Thailand in 5 years and we hope and pray things get back to normal soon. But you make an excellent point about food. My wife loves Bangkok and it's not inconceivable that we give it a try. A must for me would be living near a BTS and a western market so I can buy foods to cook. I enjoy cooking and will certainly have enough time to prepare meals. Yes I know western groceries are quite a bit more expensive but it's something that I think is manageable.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:00 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
"cheapest" is a strange + dangerous criteria. Although its been a few years, I have some experience traveling in the Third World, and I don't know how much comfort or experience you have with things like "squat toilets" or the standards of "cleanliness" or assumptions of Top Tier hospital/medical care 1 hour away... it's a huge lifestyle change.

I recommend this youtube channel "Reekay's LifeBeyondTheSea".

Dude's been making video for 10 years, 100s of video, you can see him age right before your eyes, as you see a guy leave southern california and take up the American ExPat life in the Phillipines (3-6 diff cities), and later he would hookup long term with a girl and move to Vietnam.

His blog is focused on "single / vs dating / vs married" (yes to a younger chick) - but along the way he'll do the deep dive on cell phones, rent, cuisine, transportation, life with Covid, real estate lease vs own, so many practical issues for addressing the DETAILS of what you asked.

I recommend starting at the BEGINNING of his channel with the oldest videos, then skipping to the topics which interest you most.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Lifebeyondthesea/videos

Its still my Plan D to do something similar, but not SE Asia and I'll pass on the wife/gf 40 yrs my junior.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:35 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
He gave up on the Philippines and is now in California living with his 80’s something mother not very far from where I live. Ran out of money. Got Covid along the way. He had quite a reputation as a sex pat. The Vietnamese girl friend dumped him.

Actually a lot of expats are leaving the Philippines. No idea when it will open up again to foreigners. Some of them were making a few bucks teaching English on line to Chinese students. That market has dried up. It is generally a cheaper place to live if you want to live at a much lower standard of living than here.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:40 PM

15 posts, read 7,712 times
Malaysia would give you a lot of bang for your buck.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:51 AM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxville7777 View Post
Malaysia would give you a lot of bang for your buck.
Keep in mind a predominantly Muslim environment (61% of the population), relaxed though it may be.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:28 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,417,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Great point! My wife and I will try to retire in Thailand in 5 years and we hope and pray things get back to normal soon. But you make an excellent point about food. My wife loves Bangkok and it's not inconceivable that we give it a try. A must for me would be living near a BTS and a western market so I can buy foods to cook. I enjoy cooking and will certainly have enough time to prepare meals. Yes I know western groceries are quite a bit more expensive but it's something that I think is manageable.
Imported food is painfully expensive. I got a retirement visa and stayed 7 years. It has become a cleptocracy...everyone trying one on..
government workers pay for jobs so they can extort money...bribery/extortion same-same. I miss the slim, attractive ladies and some of the street food and fresh fruits...BTS sucks..is crowded and expensive..mrt a bit better. A good bus beats both.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
He gave up on the Philippines and is now in California living with his 80’s something mother not very far from where I live. Ran out of money. Got Covid along the way. He had quite a reputation as a sex pat. The Vietnamese girl friend dumped him.

Actually a lot of expats are leaving the Philippines. No idea when it will open up again to foreigners. Some of them were making a few bucks teaching English on line to Chinese students. That market has dried up. It is generally a cheaper place to live if you want to live at a much lower standard of living than here.
How true,Americans cannot live like locals.
may be find a roommate or find an elderly who is looking for some extra income,rent a room !

Old 09-18-2021, 11:32 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
Everything in Plilippines is expensive except rent and transport. Rice and bananas actually cost more than in US.

In third world, rentals go by word of mouth, and good values get gobbled up before an outsider would even hear of them. Very hart to rent, except an are with high-priced vacation rentals.

I keep waiting for Laos to get noticed. Haven't been there in 45 years -- what's happening there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia