Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:08 AM

909 posts, read 544,988 times

Advertisements

It cost 90% more to build rail lines for trains that travel at speeds of 350 kps than it does for trains of 250 kps.
http://econ.st/2jwxZPT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 03:47 AM

46 posts, read 43,398 times
many young men consider travelling by bullet train is fashion.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:11 AM

1,087 posts, read 781,975 times
For what high speed rail would mean, someone has drawn a map in terms hours needed to travel. The size of China and US is about the same. The second map shows China's grand plan to link up Eurasia continent.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Woo View Post
many young men consider travelling by bullet train is fashion.
It is not a matter of fashion. It is much faster than stupid cars, less hassle than the stupid plane, and not that expensive. People in general love th high speed train system.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:16 PM

280 posts, read 338,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is not a matter of fashion. It is much faster than stupid cars, less hassle than the stupid plane, and not that expensive. People in general love th high speed train system.
Very Fast Trains only work in Asia, possibly Europe where people live in densely packed areas. It won't work in places like North America, Australia and New Zealand as there is a vast amount of land with a very sparsely populated area. Cars and planes are still king over here.

In Australia, where I live, there are plans (well, since the 80s really) of a link between Sydney and Melbourne - one of the busiest plane routes in Earth. This train link simply won't work because say theoretically there is a constant speed of 200km/hr. It takes 1.5 hours to get from Melbourne to Sydney, say maybe 4 all up if you consider time getting in/out of security and from/to respective airports.

It would take about 4.33 just for the train trip from Sydney to Melbourne but then you had to add on time getting to and from train stations, probably all up 5.5 hours. Added to this, costs would be probative, making it uncompetitive against air travel.

The VFTs flourished in Asia because it is densely populated and in most other countries other than Japan, there wasn't a car culture before the train developed. In Asia, this could seriously challenge air travel!

In theory, China or someone else like Japan could technically join Europe to Australia via a train line with Japan included. Reminds me of that move Snow Piercer!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:19 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Very Fast Trains only work in Asia, possibly Europe where people live in densely packed areas. It won't work in places like North America, Australia and New Zealand as there is a vast amount of land with a very sparsely populated area. Cars and planes are still king over here.

In Australia, where I live, there are plans (well, since the 80s really) of a link between Sydney and Melbourne - one of the busiest plane routes in Earth. This train link simply won't work because say theoretically there is a constant speed of 200km/hr. It takes 1.5 hours to get from Melbourne to Sydney, say maybe 4 all up if you consider time getting in/out of security and from/to respective airports.

It would take about 4.33 just for the train trip from Sydney to Melbourne but then you had to add on time getting to and from train stations, probably all up 5.5 hours. Added to this, costs would be probative, making it uncompetitive against air travel.

The VFTs flourished in Asia because it is densely populated and in most other countries other than Japan, there wasn't a car culture before the train developed. In Asia, this could seriously challenge air travel!

In theory, China or someone else like Japan could technically join Europe to Australia via a train line with Japan included. Reminds me of that move Snow Piercer!
The last VFT plan for the Melbourne Sydney route was for a downtown to downtown transit time of 2:45 using conventional rail with most of that trackage being able to be used for Melbourne-Canberra and Sydney-Canberra routes. This is traveling in the far greater comfort and less hassle that trains generally provide as opposed to airplanes. The two cities are pretty much in the optimal range for when high speed rail actually competes with airplanes and automobiles well. It's probably one of the most sensible high speed rail routes around considering the link to the capital and the general size and growth rates of Melbourne and Sydney.

VFT is sensible for some parts of North America. The most notable of these is the Northeast Corridor that includes Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC and a massive chunk (majority depending on the pairing) of intercity travel is done by rail. The unfortunate thing is that even the fastest of these aren't going that fast though incremental improvements keep on being made. There are probably another half dozen or so corridors in the US that might make sense.

Canada has similar VFT proposals for part of its Windsor-Quebec City corridor where a sizable chunk of Canada's population lives and currently also does much intercity travel using rail despite not being VFT currently.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The last VFT plan for the Melbourne Sydney route was for a downtown to downtown transit time of 2:45 using conventional rail with most of that trackage being able to be used for Melbourne-Canberra and Sydney-Canberra routes. This is traveling in the far greater comfort and less hassle that trains generally provide as opposed to airplanes. The two cities are pretty much in the optimal range for when high speed rail actually competes with airplanes and automobiles well. It's probably one of the most sensible high speed rail routes around considering the link to the capital and the general size and growth rates of Melbourne and Sydney.

VFT is sensible for some parts of North America. The most notable of these is the Northeast Corridor that includes Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC and a massive chunk (majority depending on the pairing) of intercity travel is done by rail. The unfortunate thing is that even the fastest of these aren't going that fast though incremental improvements keep on being made. There are probably another half dozen or so corridors in the US that might make sense.

Canada has similar VFT proposals for part of its Windsor-Quebec City corridor where a sizable chunk of Canada's population lives and currently also does much intercity travel using rail despite not being VFT currently.
Yep. I travel Syd-Melbourne often and would like an alternative. Or, a way to get to Canberra quickly. Flying is kind of silly (45min) but driving is also too long.
Never going to happen though, lol. I'm convinced we have an aversion to spending on infrastructure (NBN ) lol

Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
I've taken it a few times already...Macau to Guangzhou.

I always think the same thing....MAN, the UNITED STATES is so stuck in the 1950s...

I hate having to tell Chinese students who want to visit the U.S., that we don't have adequate public transportation for them to travel around. They'll have to try to get an international driver's license, etc. We just don't have the money or public support to build things in the U.S...

Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
wow they planning to build an intercontinental train from china to turkey? that almost very cool.

but i think it took days to get there by train, a very tired and long distance..

Old 01-22-2017, 11:36 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've taken it a few times already...Macau to Guangzhou.

I always think the same thing....MAN, the UNITED STATES is so stuck in the 1950s...

I hate having to tell Chinese students who want to visit the U.S., that we don't have adequate public transportation for them to travel around. They'll have to try to get an international driver's license, etc. We just don't have the money or public support to build things in the U.S...
It depends on where they're going the US does have Amtrak and the Acela. I think it's partially a culture thing people in the US just love their cars and trucks and spend a lot of money on them. I know people that refuse to ride the bus or train to work even when they have the option to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia