Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 06:17 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times

Advertisements

The Orange County shooting suspect was upset over China-Taiwan tensions, investigators say

Quote:
A suspect in a deadly shooting at a church in Laguna Woods, California, likely was politically motivated, investigators said.

"It is believed the suspect involved was upset about political tensions between China and Taiwan," Orange County Sheriff Donald Barnes said at a news conference Monday.
The suspect, David Chou, 68, of Las Vegas was a US citizen who immigrated from China years ago, according to Barnes.
At least one person died and five were wounded in the shooting Sunday at Geneva Presbyterian Church, where a sister Taiwanese church worshiped, the sheriff's department said.
One shooting victim was treated for injuries at the University of California, Irvine Medical Center and discharged overnight, while another two who were transported to Providence Mission Hospital are now in good condition, according to hospital spokespeople.
CNN has reached out to find out the current condition of the two other patients. Officials initially reported that four of the shooting victims were in critical condition.
The shooter is associated with a radical CCP Taiwan annexation group. FAPA urges US to label groups affiliated with shooter as 'domestic terrorists'.

It was always within the realm of possibility that stuff like this would eventually happen. I think it's time that Taiwanese Americans realise that Chinese people - not just their government - are the enemies, and just like the Russians they will become a huge problem to all democracies, not just to Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 09:52 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
It's an isolated incident. I would not generalize it to say that ALL people from China are the enemy to those who are from Taiwan.

We don't know if the killer has mental problem, or why he specifically targeted this church and drove all the way from Las Vegas. I mean, don't they have Taiwanese churches in Las Vegas?

What is more puzzling is why hasn't Taiwan declare its independent from China, that it has become the "Republic of Taiwan" instead? This would send a clear message to the world that Taiwan is not interested in its unification with China and drop the KMT pretense of returning to China.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It's an isolated incident. I would not generalize it to say that ALL people from China are the enemy to those who are from Taiwan.
Of course they are. Do you not read the news? China threatens to invade Taiwan all the time and Chinese people all support it. It's the same with the Russians. What do you think would happen if they actually invade? It'd be the same as Ukraine.

Quote:
We don't know if the killer has mental problem, or why he specifically targeted this church and drove all the way from Las Vegas. I mean, don't they have Taiwanese churches in Las Vegas?
Most likely not. The largest Taiwanese American communities in the US are in New England, Texas, and California, and Taiwanese are not very Christian so there simply aren't many Taiwanese churches. Taiwanese Presbyterian church in America conducts their sermons in Taiwanese instead of Mandarin and is strongly pro-Taiwanese statehood, that's why it was targeted by the assailant who's basically a PRC mercenary.

Quote:
What is more puzzling is why hasn't Taiwan declare its independent from China, that it has become the "Republic of Taiwan" instead? This would send a clear message to the world that Taiwan is not interested in its unification with China and drop the KMT pretense of returning to China.
Excuse me? China threatens to invade if Taiwan declares independence.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Excuse me? China threatens to invade if Taiwan declares independence.
Excuse me? So that alone is enough to stop the nation of Taiwan from declaring its independence? LOLOLOL

If that's the case, then maybe Taiwan doesn't have the "ball" to become independent.

Let's review World history, every country that became independent has gone through the bloodshed. Taiwan maybe the exception with its current U.S. support.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Most likely not. The largest Taiwanese American communities in the US are in New England, Texas, and California, and Taiwanese are not very Christian so there simply aren't many Taiwanese churches. Taiwanese Presbyterian church in America conducts their sermons in Taiwanese instead of Mandarin and is strongly pro-Taiwanese statehood, that's why it was targeted by the assailant who's basically a PRC mercenary.
You're wrong again.

https://www.google.com/search?q=taiw...client=gws-wiz

Old 05-17-2022, 12:01 PM

817 posts, read 628,901 times
R.I.P Dr. Cheng, a true hero.

Social media has emboldened these crazies lately, this guy must've been consuming CCP propaganda and Chinese nationalist content online, maybe he had some connections back home? idk. China has been very aggressive towards Taiwan, they also are threatening to take some islands that belong to Japan and the Philippines. I fully support Taiwan/Hong Kong/Japan/Philippines.

Old 05-17-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Excuse me? So that alone is enough to stop the nation of Taiwan from declaring its independence? LOLOLOL

If that's the case, then maybe Taiwan doesn't have the "ball" to become independent.

Let's review World history, every country that became independent has gone through the bloodshed. Taiwan maybe the exception with its current U.S. support.
I don't have time for this nonsense.

Quote:
You have no way to know how active they are.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:17 PM

671 posts, read 316,116 times
normally i don't care about taiwanese people, but i do live close to these communities.

btw, this has nothing to do with "chinese", unless you believe taiwanese are chinese.

and mr chou (the way his last name is spelled is a dead give away) is as taiwanese as the victims, and anyone who identify as a taiwanese

so you have taiwanese killing taiwanese here. but hey, if the ccp tells taiwanese people to shoot themselves, i'm sure the taiwanese will do so without questioning!!!

Old 05-17-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
normally i don't care about taiwanese people, but i do live close to these communities.

btw, this has nothing to do with "chinese", unless you believe taiwanese are chinese.

and mr chou (the way his last name is spelled is a dead give away) is as taiwanese as the victims, and anyone who identify as a taiwanese

so you have taiwanese killing taiwanese here. but hey, if the ccp tells taiwanese people to shoot themselves, i'm sure the taiwanese will do so without questioning!!!
There's so much ignorance & prejudice in this post I should report this to the mods. "MaoMao" is a dead give away on where you're from.

Maybe there's anti-Taiwanese sentiment afterall.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:55 PM

671 posts, read 316,116 times
Quote:
There's so much ignorance & prejudice in this post I should report this to the mods. "MaoMao" is a dead give away on where you're from.

Maybe there's anti-Taiwanese sentiment afterall.
well, if you know chinese, maomao has the same spelling in mainland, hong kong, and even taiwanese pin yin

on the other hand, zhou would be chinese, chow would be hong kong, and obviously this so call "chinese" is neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia