Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,222 times

Advertisements

Hi im 33 year old mum of three and planning to live in Thailand for a year. My husband has a contract as a financial consultant there so that's him sorted but I want to go back to work and my occupation is a beauty therapist. Will I have trouble getting work at the hotels or spas as I read if a thai person can do your job, you're unemployable.
With regards to the sex trade, I have no intrest and find it quite sad that men would travel that far to find sex. My biggest fear is that they don't go for the women but for the child sex trade. That's just sickening.
These young and often beautiful women have no love for old men just for there money but if that's ok with them, then it's a mutual agreement and they are both happy

mumof3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:22 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedbeauty View Post
Hi im 33 year old mum of three and planning to live in Thailand for a year. My husband has a contract as a financial consultant there so that's him sorted but I want to go back to work and my occupation is a beauty therapist. Will I have trouble getting work at the hotels or spas as I read if a thai person can do your job, you're unemployable.
With regards to the sex trade, I have no intrest and find it quite sad that men would travel that far to find sex. My biggest fear is that they don't go for the women but for the child sex trade. That's just sickening.
These young and often beautiful women have no love for old men just for there money but if that's ok with them, then it's a mutual agreement and they are both happy

mumof3
With regard to your question about work in Thailand, it's probably unlikely you'd be able to find work as a beauty therapist for the very reason you mentioned - if it is something a Thai citizen can do. In addition, you'd need to have a work permit. One possible way around gaining employment in such trades or professions, is to check well in advance with hotels and spas. If your skills are seen as uncommon in the country, an employer might be willing to hire and take care of the necessary permits for you. However, the downside might depend on how long you actually plan to be in the country. If your husband's contract is only for a few months to a year, it would be up to a prospective employer (for you) to decide if it's worth the effort.

About the sex trade, it's an adult form of 'entertainment'. As for such activities involving kids, that's something that's very uncommon. Thai parents care as much about their kids as you do about yours. Once in a while there are some exceptions, but that's true anywhere, including the US, not just Thailand. Those caught in such activities involving children are severely prosecuted. Even if that sort of abnormal behavior happens just a fraction of 1%, that's still too much. That's not to say it isn't anything to be concerned about. It's only normal that it is. Regardless, it isn't something to be excessively fearful about. Your kids will be safe. As a parent, it's always a good idea to keep a close watch over your kids. But that's true anywhere in the world.

The biggest source of such fears stems from the sensationalized focus of the media which tend to blow things way out of proportion, giving the impression that it's an out of control problem and happens everywhere in SE Asia. It is indeed a problem, but no more so than elsewhere, including the US. Just saying there's no need to be overly worried about it in Thailand any more than you would be at home. It's a good idea to keep things like that in perspective. Parents already have enough worries about their kids as it is.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:12 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedbeauty View Post

mumof3
'Beauty Therapist' sounds like something you'd need to do in a yuppie area of an American city. Sounds like something you'd overcharge clients with, etc.

People in Thailand just don't have that kind of spending money.

Regarding the sex trade. Child trafficing is highly illegal. There are NGO's all over the place, and Thailand prosecutes people for that. If that is your biggest concern, you might want to join an NGO, or volunteer at one.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:32 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Cheap girls? They're just gonna use you for your money, but hey if that's what you want, then I hope you enjoy being played. In the end, it won't be so cheap, they'll soak you dry. Old white men are walking targets in the Philippines. They get robbed, sometimes kidnapped. Thats the risk they take for a cheap girl. I hope it's worth it
I am not sure but I am going to guess that you have never been to the Philippines or at least not recently? My wife (Filipina) and I live about 4 months a year in the Philippines every year and the rest in the US and traveling around and I have never found it to be unsafe for me in any part of the Philippines we have been including about 1/3 of Mindanao, quite a bit of Cebu Island and in and around Manila and the outer areas within a couple hours drive of the main city.

Old single white men are in fact targets but of the many beautiful young ladies who are often looking for a better life but so are many women in the US, no insult meant to any women. All people can be subject to crimes if walking around poor areas even in the US, so use common sense and it can be totally safe. I walk the streets by myself and with my wife and have for over 18 years and never had a serious issue happen to me or us.

Many parts of the Philippines make a man feel like a king but the days of living on $1000 a month are over unless you are willing to live a simple life and without A/C. Electric alone can cost a few hundred a month to cool a much smaller place than in the US and if a person is willing to eat local type foods and at local type restaurants, then it can be less inexpensive to live but while we own our own place and a few years ago it cost us $1000 a month to live, it now cost us $1500 a month with eating out many less times a month.

The Philippines is a great place to visit and possibly live if a person is willing to put up with some of the bs they will have to deal with but crime is usually not a major issue if you keep a low profile and do not walk around flashing cash or wearing expensive items.

added, I would say $2000 to $2500 a month could give a couple a very comfortable life but still not live like a king.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 08-11-2012 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-16-2012, 11:53 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,712 times
So you can really live in the P.I. like a king when earning minimum wage working as a stock person at walmart?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
So you can really live in the P.I. like a king when earning minimum wage working as a stock person at walmart?
Official minimim wage in the Philippines is by the day. Currently at $8.83 per day. Assuming that's a full day of work as well. If it's parttime work, it won't be that high.

So, that would be around $45/week or $180/month, before taxes.

You can't live like a King on $180/month in the Philippines.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,342 times
Quote:
not really. i'll be budgeting 75,000PHP/month this winter, which comes out to US$1800/month or US$60/day. ill be living well and will be able to party most nights, but not like a king.

my friends and i are looking for a 3 br house with a private pool for under 45,000PHP/month incl utilities (we'd like to keep total accom costs below 500PHP/night split three ways) but it's proving difficult to find in cebu city. will leave me with 2000PHP/day spending money which is plenty to play around with.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Official minimim wage in the Philippines is by the day. Currently at $8.83 per day. Assuming that's a full day of work as well. If it's parttime work, it won't be that high.

So, that would be around $45/week or $180/month, before taxes.

You can't live like a King on $180/month in the Philippines.
I meant like in the United States

Old 08-18-2012, 02:57 AM

318 posts, read 625,687 times
I won't lie, my skin just crawls when I see fat old white men living in Thailand, surrounded by a bevy of skinny 20 year old Thai beauties.

Aha.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I meant like in the United States
Minimum wage in the U.S. is around $1,200/month, I believe? Is this a hypothetical question, if you were making that wage, and living in the Philippines on $1,200/month? Or is this a question that if you were working at Wal-Mart now, and trying to save money from that income to go to the Philippines?

If you were saving from minimum wage jobs in the U.S., you probably wouldn't save much, and you'd have to budget very well, as the quicker you go through the meager savings, the quicker you'd be heading back home to work again asap.

If it's a hypothetical question, that IF you were able to make $1,200/month in the Philippines, would you live like a King. You'd live well, on that income, you just would be stressed trying to find a job in the Philippines that pays that much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia