Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:23 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times

Advertisements

I can't help but think that Christopher Hitchens would still despise religion, even if he made a sudden turn near death and took up belief in some creator. And in that case a "conversion" would be pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 08:24 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
New interview on CNN. It doesn't sound like he'll be praising the lord anytime soon.

Great interview. I loved the part when he talks about if he has a deathbed conversion it'll be because he's demented and on drugs, "Don't believe it".

Mr Hitchen's outlook and views on cancer were refreshing to listen to.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:50 PM

430 posts, read 583,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridexilla View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned
A clear headed and elegant spokesman for rationality. Nothing more.

It seems you'd prefer that such people be silenced.

In a broad-based education system aimed at producing moderately resourceful skeptics as an end product, Hitchens' collected works should be mandatory reading for those mush-filled liberal heads holding forth and bloviating down at the local college drinking hole.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-07-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 03:07 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Ohh, he's nobody really - just another front-line general in the armies of reason, battling those who would plunge us into the second Dark Age.
Another interesting about Hitchens is that he is a hard core conservative. All the Bible Thumpers would think he was just great if he wasn't an athiest.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:37 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned

As for Mr. Hitchens' sad condition; it's always tragic when someone as eloquent, intelligent and profound as Christopher is possibly doomed. If he passes, I'll truly miss his particular engaging wit, humor, insight and intellect, even if it is often focused on reality and the destruction of the greater Christian myth. And the damges that has wrought on us all, inclluding the inane Iraq war.

He has provided true myth-penetrating ammo against all those tiresome chanting Christian diatribes, and thus his possible demise is mockingly celebrated by several evangelical websites. Imagine: wholesome, loving Christians wishing the very worst: a slow and painful death, on Dr. Hitchens simply because he's so danged effective in uncovering the inner contradictions of Christianity!

It's obvious, isn't it? Christianity abhors true intellectual discourse.

I wonder how they'd feel if they were to contract a similar potentially fatal disease, to know that millions of people out there were being admonished to fervently pray for even more pain and suffering on them!

This alone is telling enough of their true inner workings. Obvious conclusion: don't ever buy into the universalist "peace and love" preachings of Christians.

That's only for those who donate, never for those who think!

Last edited by june 7th; 08-20-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 06:08 AM

174 posts, read 372,875 times
The debate between atheism and 'religion' is archaic, and goes on only because many people are uneasy about supporting the crudities of capitalism with its widescale theft from the poor. It is simply avoidance behaviour, fiddling while the world burns, fatuous.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:48 AM

430 posts, read 583,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_catholic View Post
Actually he does have a problem with the truth and you can see it in the tone in his voice. He is filled with rhetoric and very little substance.
Quote:
Predrawn conclusion. Bias. Hopeful rhetoric, without substance.
His lie of a book on mother theresa shows it all. The fact that he wrote a book that contained no footnotes or sidenotes shows that he had no real dirt on her. Anyways My post wasnt to throw dirt on Hitchens. My heart goes out to him , his family and his brother (whose christian If I may add).

Quote:
Who cares about the spiritual directions of his brother? I mean besides you? What difference does that make, pray tell? I mean, this woukld suggest that all the rest of his family is atheist. Hmmm...
As`far as truth all you need to do is look through any of his debates to see who told the truth and who did not.

Quote:
You're so right in this one. One has but to openly watch those debates and see who won. And who lost.....
I pray that god heals him from this cancer and gives him a second chance at life where he could spend doing more meaningfull things rather then spew hatred.
Too bad that prayer has been proven to have no effect on survival or changes in medical conditions. Actually, the numbers show a slightly negative effect of a reliance on faith, since devout Christians often forgo true medical/scientific knowledge in favor of faith-based results. Which, in fact, always result in the same outcome.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:17 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Hitchens has NEVER been defeated in a debate by any religionist.

I can think of one right off the bat -- Dr. William Lane Craig.

He cooked Hitchens's goose real darn good (this is just one clip from a much longer debate):

YouTube - William Lane Craig and Christopher Hitchens (HQ)

Moreover, I reckon he would chew up and spit out you and probably every other atheist who posts at this forum.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:26 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I don't know any atheists who have converted to religion. Usually people wake up and realize the truth, that being that religious types are obviously delusional. It's not the other way around.
My experience in this realm is quite different. For example, I had a good friend who converted from atheism to Catholicism after he was diagnosed with a terminal illness. There were events leading up to it and it was certainly not what could be described as a "deathbed conversion."

My friend died a horrible, painful death, but even up until the end of his life wanted to talk desperately about his spirituality.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:54 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
That is a superb example of why Craig stood up so well. It is very hard to counter if one doesn't accept the rules of logic.

No -one can deny that deathbed conversion claim but it is unverifiable. But if you say so in a debate it looks like a weak evasion. It is also proves nothing about whether the belief is true or not, but to say so looks like a weak evasion.

All the arguments - teleological, Ontological and moral that Craig put forward are hogwash, but to say that looks unsatisfactory because the listeners want disproofs of God or God is real.

It is very effective but a fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism