Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times

Advertisements

An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that deed must be done instead of prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated." Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 03:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Fear I'll change it, eh? Fear God...
I should fear that YOU will change what?

I don't fear your make-believe friend.

You should fear wasting your life. You have one shot. Make a difference. Smell a rose. Help a stranger. Change the world.

Once, again:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

You are more than welcome to change these facts, if you can.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 PM

"We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering." Carl Sagan

Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 PM

"I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars." Charles Darwin

Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
"We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering." Carl Sagan
It always comes back to narcissism. People get really angry but it's true. The only reason people think that they are going to heaven is because they think they are unique; that they are special. The truth is we are not. And Christianity is highly attractive to narcissists.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:37 PM

“I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no ‘brief candle’ to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." George Bernard Shaw

Old 09-21-2010, 09:48 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
This is a great quote. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 PM

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.” Albert Einstein

Old 09-23-2010, 05:02 AM

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for something." African Proverb

Old 09-25-2010, 08:22 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,617 times
Thanks so much. I was a "cradle catholic"- now,changed for ever. I have read so much by Hitchens and of course, many of the quoted thinkers here. Raising children from this viewpoint can be tricky in this society, but with historical, intellectual, deep thinkers to back "evolved" veiws- I can do it more effectively and with more confidence. I appreciate this collection from which to draw and reflect upon. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism