Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times

Advertisements

I'd like some insider information. I've noticed that the worst social abuses I've ever been victim of were committed by Christian people. I've they didn't get their way they've almost always used mobbing instead of empathy and open ended discussions to solve problems. Sometimes the mobbing comes out of nowhere from these people, as if it serves as a warning to not mess around with them and to be subservient to them or to leave the area. Other times it is initiated because of dissenting opinions or dissenting lifestyles.

I was wondering why Christians prefer the technique of mobbing instead of empathy and discussion with individuals who are perceived to be dissenting? Instead the ones I've known prefer pretension and intimidation. Mobbing , seems to be an adored and valued form of punishment or "warning" directed at the target to stay away, often used by Christian people, whether it be inside the church or in a business that likes to employ Christians. I've actually heard horror stories about this happening at private companies that have Christian mission statements and Christian business foundations.

Mobbing an individual includes (e.g., shunning, inducing guilt, bewilderment, mixed messages, discrediting, disempowering, refusing to befriend, acting repulsed by the person, etc.) committed with the hopes that the person will become startled and leave the area, change, keep silent, or become subservient. Other times it appears to be a fun game or a prank that is played on the gullible victim. I don't understand where these Christians learn the technique from? It seems so contrived, contradictory, and what exactly is the point? What rewards are reaped by this behavior?

This is the reason why I'm starting to favor atheism. With atheism there isn't a group norm or a strict doctrine that tells you this how it must be done or else you can just get out.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-17-2010 at 10:14 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,455,328 times
I would hope you favor atheism due to a lack of belief in gods.
There is no other reason needed.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 PM

Atheism IMHO is about not following a religious or spiritual doctrine. I did not say I was an atheist. I just said it makes more sense to be an atheist. I would favor it over being mobbed by insane church people at places of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I would hope you favor atheism due to a lack of belief in gods.
There is no other reason needed.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I couldn't agree more, although I have my moments when the Moderator cut: delete just gets too deep for me and I have to say what I think, even if it isn't going to go over well. When it gets to a certain point, I just don't care.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-20-2010 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 PM

6 posts, read 12,012 times
Aww- This was touching! I guess anyone could be confused at a church because it generally consists of more than 1-5 people. I actually grew up in inner city Houston and my dad and our family made a real life commitment to help as many inner city kids and families as we could. It was a lot of hard work and a lot of sympathy actually, since I have no idea what it was like (could not empathize) with what they went through. I had a really good home and was thankful for it. We would have never done something like this had we not had a Christian focus. Atheism is only recognizing that you believe there is not a God or gods that you believe in. Agnostics are not sure about their beliefs and to what extent a "god" exists or should have an impact on their own lives. Christians have had a belief that God is there for them. That can be displayed in many religion choices. I am so thankful that I stumbled on this post. Hope you really find the way you believe without "blaming or bashing" a Christian faith belief or any other group (like TSA security check point people or pigs or frogs). People in general are always nervous about others who believe a different way so it creates discomfort which results in many looks in the other direction. Christians are the same as bowlers on bowling night or Atheists at their groups is that they do not want to be attacked by groups that attack a belief in God or can't bowl and are taking up lanes. Natural to humans. That's all we are. Anyway, good luck sorting through it all and don't wrestle with a pig. Sounds nasty.

Don't know if the negative focus on Christians is due to mobbing but that is what happened to Jesus actually. He was "mobbed" and nailed to a cross as it goes. I think it is an exaggerated discomfort any human has, regardless of the group, to stay with a like group and oust the others who do not act or agree as the same. Atheists oust Christians, Pro Bowlers oust amateurs, Longhorns oust Aggies, and it goes on and on, especially in academia between departments! HA! Profs are actually the worst in this "mobbing" issue and have tenure doing it!

Last edited by Fancy Rat; 11-17-2010 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 11-18-2010, 05:55 PM

That would explain the petulant animal-like behaviors. Because animals do not think at the complex level of a mature human being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I suspect many of them wouldn't recognize a thinker if one were to bite them on the leg, thinking is an alien concept and isn't something that they even suspect exists or how it might work.

Now they do hate other that are different, they also have a serious dislike for facts that are counter to the view they have from inside their tiny box.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 PM

Sometimes I think humans are too clever for their own good. They make up all this ridiculous supernatural stuff which animals could never do, and the animals are the better for it.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
I hope you'll stick around and talk, artsyguy. Exchange of ideas is always good.

At base, I'd prefer to avoid the 'what makes us nicer' argument as I am not at all sure that religion cannot make potentially nasty people behave nicely, though it is well said that only religion can make good people do evil, and, as I have observed myself, Theism makes honest people dishonest and clever people appear foolish, because of the inherent methods of Theist argument.

However, the reason to be atheist is because it is more in accordance with logic and evidence. It make sense. So the recent post -link to an article where a columnist complained that he was losing his sympathy for atheism because of some of the silly tricks and stunts some 'Neo - atheists' got up to didn't bother me much because, once one comes to see atheism as making the best sense, behaviour becomes irrelevant. How it makes people behave is not really the argument.

That said, mobbing can be done by atheists too. Notably on atheist forae where a theist might be jumped on and roundly abused by vocifereous god - haters and assorted hellspawn before a sensible discussion can ensue, and I am truly sorry when that happens. Not on this forum so much. It tends to be a lot more restrained, here.

That said, it is possible to be mobbed by a single Theist! They only need to dump a load of 'Questions that demand an answer' on you at once and you can find yourself overwhelmed. As someone said (I think it was me) it is a lot quicker to claim that there are fairies at the bottom my garden than to give cogent reasons why there probably aren't.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 PM

I was once mobbed by four Bible-toting 'Jesus freaks' (it being the 1970s) at college. They surrounded me and pelted me with questions for about 15 minutes. During this, one of them made a statement which I will always remember: "I used to be a heroin addict, but now I'n HOOKED ON JESUS!" (I'm sure that the mythical Jesus would have been very proud). Finally, one of them asked, "You're a skeptic, aren't you?", to which I replied in the affirmative. As if on cue, they all quickly walked away as if I were the bearer of some deadly toxin.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:14 PM

Good post. I wanted to add that there are a lot more religious folks than there are atheists. Chances for mobbing by Christians are a lot higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

That said, it is possible to be mobbed by a single Theist! They only need to dump a load of 'Questions that demand an answer' on you at once and you can find yourself overwhelmed.
As someone said (I think it was me) it is a lot quicker to claim that there are fairies at the bottom my garden than to give cogent reasons why there probably aren't.
I was mobbed in college, too. But I was mobbed out of my so-called "liberal" non-Christian college. They (the Christian mob of students) kept claiming "work ethic" complaints against me....... I have a master's degree BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I was once mobbed by four Bible-toting 'Jesus freaks' (it being the 1970s) at college. They surrounded me and pelted me with questions for about 15 minutes. During this, one of them made a statement which I will always remember: "I used to be a heroin addict, but now I'n HOOKED ON JESUS!" (I'm sure that the mythical Jesus would have been very proud). Finally, one of them asked, "You're a skeptic, aren't you?", to which I replied in the affirmative. As if on cue, they all quickly walked away as if I were the bearer of some deadly toxin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism