Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times

Advertisements

A Christian, or any other religious believer, is by definition closed minded. What would be the point of arguing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:45 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
It is everyone's right to believe what they want to believe. Frankly, I have much more of a problem with Jehova's Witnesses who come knocking on my door early on Saturday mornings and try to push me into listening to them even after I tell them "I'm comfortable with my spiritual path, thank you anyway"...very few of the Christians I know try to force it down my throat, but if they do so I just end the conversation before it gets out of hand. Walking away is much easier than trying to argue with someone whose belief system is completely contrary to your own. I had to laugh when my lawn guy told me I should "be careful" about meditating because "the bible doesn't tell us we should be doing that"...LOL!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
A Christian, or any other religious believer, is by definition closed minded. What would be the point of arguing.
Hell, you just might win one and convert one Christian. You never know until you try.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Hell, you just might win one and convert one Christian. You never know until you try.
You may be able to persuade an Agnostic, but an Atheist?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
In the ideal world you can believe what you want...
I ask 2 things.
Leave my wallet alone.
No belief system should require a law or force.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Well, as a christian, I can only speak from my experience, but I've never met a humble atheist. (and to be fair, there aren't a lot of humble christians either) You don't want religion shoved down your throat. Fine, I don't either. People know that I'm a Christian, but I don't "shove it down their throat."

But it usually doesn't stop there. Often I and others are treated like an idiots, deluded, morons--a throwback to the stone age because I happen to believe in a higher power and divine revelation. It's almost like many atheists sit on their pedestals and look down at all the little folks for not being enlightened like they are.

I could be wrong. Maybe some atheists are nice people who don't hate the religious. I have yet to meet one though.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If aethesist are so content and convinced in their belief that there is no God then why not leave it at that and let those who have faith enjoy their belief system?
If Christians and Muslims and other proselytizing religious people are so content in their belief that there is a God then why not leave it at that and let those that do not have faith enjoy their belief system?

FACT: The vast majority do, both atheists and believers.

Quote:
Intolerance and hypocrisy perhaps, the same that they bash Christians and others of when they are reminded that some people have religious holidays and beliefs?
I suppose they get a little offended by people telling them what they should believe and how they will go to Hell if they don't, you think maybe?

Welcome to the marketplace of ideas. Atheists get to talk too you know.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
At least their arguments are usually based on logic and/or FACTS, rather than relying on faith and a book.

But yeah, these rules could apply to any side of a typical debate - muy funny!
Are they? I've never met an atheist that can give me a logical answer to the Cosmological argument, or the TAG argument.

Google them if you need to. I've attempted to use logic with atheists here and elsewhere and all it usually gets me is insults.

You guys are incapable of answering the question of how the universe came about. Logically speaking, it needed to be caused by something, but I don't expect you to be logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
If Christians and Muslims and other proselytizing religious people are so content in their belief that there is a God then why not leave it at that and let those that do not have faith enjoy their belief system?
as a Christian, I believe that non-Christians will suffer eternally in hell. That concerns me. I want to see as many people as possible to get saved from that destination. To me, the rude, uncaring thing would be for me to NOT tell you how to avoid going to hell.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If aethesist are so content and convinced in their belief that there is no God then why not leave it at that and let those who have faith enjoy their belief system? Intolerance and hypocrisy perhaps, the same that they bash Christians and others of when they are reminded that some people have religious holidays and beliefs?
Most do. I just object at the times when the Christians try to begrudge others and visa versa.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:13 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The same goes for atheists. If you say there is no God you're demonstrating extreme arrogance and closed-mindedness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism