Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,732 times

Advertisements

Clownster,
It doesn't matter if I believe in Buddha, Jesus, Allah, or Goddesses... belief is powerful in itself. Faith is a motivating belief.

Denying that everything we do is based on faith is implying that you believe in psychic abilities.
IE: How do you know that as you get ready to walk across the street, everythign will go fine? How do you know that a car won't come zooming out of nowhere, or a bird won't poopoo on your head, or somebody won't blow smoke in your face? You don't know! Yet, your brain can't possible handle all of the possibilities, all of the realities both inside & outside your body... so it has selective attention in the form of faith.
Yeah, in a way, faith is ignorance - in a smart kind of way - & we're all ignorant through selective & limited awareness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Everything we do is for selfish reasons, whether admited or not.
I think that may be so, since one gets a rewarding good feeling for doing good. But I can live with that kind of "selfishness".
Quote:
Psychology is the "study of the soul."
I have a degree in psychology, and have never heard that before. Psychology is the study of how and why people think and behave as they do, and includes the physiology of the brain. Nothing about a "soul". I don't believe in souls.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 PM

43 posts, read 25,485 times
Quote:
Clownster,
It doesn't matter if I believe in Buddha, Jesus, Allah, or Goddesses... belief is powerful in itself. Faith is a motivating belief.

Denying that everything we do is based on faith is implying that you believe in psychic abilities.
IE: How do you know that as you get ready to walk across the street, everythign will go fine? How do you know that a car won't come zooming out of nowhere, or a bird won't poopoo on your head, or somebody won't blow smoke in your face? You don't know!
What does any of this have to do with faith? I cross the street at crosswalks; I don't hope Christ will protect me from a speeding buick. When a bird flies over my head, I don't care; when 100 fly directly over me, I do wonder if birdcrap will hit me and sometimes cover my head. That's why they have umbrellas at outdoor cafes. If someone blows smoke in my face, I kick their ass. It's all pretty simple, andnone of it has anything to do with faith.

Quote:
Yet, your brain can't possible handle all of the possibilities, all of the realities both inside & outside your body... so it has selective attention in the form of faith.
Again, you call the normal act of weighing probabilities "faith". Because you've been trained to make "faith" something important to you. Not because this requires actual "faith."

Look, educating you is becoming tiresome. I'm not saying faith doesn't exist. I'm saying faith isn't the virtue that you and other Christians believe it to be. The more we can be aware of our surroundings and understand them, the better off we are. And if we can do all this without being insanel OCD, all the better. But "faith" has nothing to do with anything, otherwise we wouldn't care if we had an FDA, traffic cops, and 5 senses that help us look out for danger.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 PM

43 posts, read 25,485 times
Quote:
Psychology is the "study of the soul.
You obviously know nothing about psychology whatsoever.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Let's clarify 2 definitions...
Faith: Strong belief based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
Hypothesis: A proposition made without any assumption of its truth.
You're a bit off with your definition of Hypothesis. Hypothesis isn't just a guess..

Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think that may be so, since one gets a rewarding good feeling for doing good. But I can live with that kind of "selfishness".
Yeah, we all could... we all live with both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman
I have a degree in psychology, and have never heard that before. Psychology is the study of how and why people think and behave as they do, and includes the physiology of the brain. Nothing about a "soul". I don't believe in souls.
I majored in Psychology my first 2 years of college, yet I hadn't heard of it until recently, either...

psychology

1653, "study of the soul," probably coined mid-16c. in Germany by Melanchthon as Mod.L. psychologia, from Gk. psykhe- "breath, spirit, soul" (see psyche) + logia "study of." Meaning "study of the mind" first recorded 1748, from G. Wolff's Psychologia empirica (1732); main modern behavioral sense is from 1895.
Online Etymology Dictionary
Psychology | Define Psychology at Dictionary.com

Old 06-24-2011, 02:49 PM

That only shows that it was "coined" by someone in the 1500s by someone who apparently equated "breath" (life) with spirit and the soul, and was undoubtedly of the Christian (or possibly Judaic) faith. I don't think that need concern a modern definition of psychology.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Yeah, we all could... we all live with both.
I majored in Psychology my first 2 years of college, yet I hadn't heard of it until recently, either...

psychology

1653, "study of the soul," probably coined mid-16c. in Germany by Melanchthon as Mod.L. psychologia, from Gk. psykhe- "breath, spirit, soul" (see psyche) + logia "study of." Meaning "study of the mind" first recorded 1748, from G. Wolff's Psychologia empirica (1732); main modern behavioral sense is from 1895.
Online Etymology Dictionary
Psychology | Define Psychology at Dictionary.com
Still in the dark ages are you? They are called the dark ages with good reason...Everything is those times, good and bad was attributed to superstitious beliefs. Now fortunately most of us know better.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:15 AM

I hate to be a pedant, but the 16th century was well after the Dark Ages ended. I think it was the Renaissance period, but I may be wrong.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:23 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
9 in 10 Americans continue to believe in god

Ah yes!!! the power of brainwashing at work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism