Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 PM

22 posts, read 49,899 times

Advertisements

My Kindergarten daughter who goes to Public schools sang to me God bless America which she learned in Music class. Thoughts? I am secular myself, husband isn't sure, but we do take the kids to church sometimes (read maybe once per year). Just want them to see what it is, but if they wanted to go more would take them. i

I am actually not that concerned, i have much bigger issues to deal with in general, but just wondering if that is normal? (live in Hoboken, btw), just noticed there was an atheist board here so decided to throw this out there.

Thanks,
Stacy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,903 times
I don't really see an issue with it. I mean how many great, well known songs out there have god in the title or in the lyrics. You could even extend this thought to some great literary works that could be covered by an English class as well. Or to art that has some depictions of metaphysical events in art class.
And depending on what you’re covering you can show the roll of religions/beliefs on events in social studies and history.

So I'm personally not for the complete absence of god or religion in all subjects at all times. But we must be very selective in where and how these are used in the curriculums in our schools.

Last edited by baystater; 02-27-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
It has awfully preachy lyrics...it's hard for me to see why a different song couldn't have been substituted for it. But I like the melody, and have to admit that Kate Smith's version of it is iconic.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
It's common to learn all sorts of stuff in public school, including songs like this. High school choirs use religious music a lot as well. It's all music.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Here is a good site for considering religious music in public schools:

State/Church FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:
What to Look For

Is the religious song or music in question chosen for its educational value or its religious content?
What are the ages of the children studying this music (e.g., is this music class in kindergarten or optional honors chorus in high school?).
Is there an educational value to the song (e.g., are students being introduced to Brahms, Hayden, Verdi, or is this a devotional Sunday school song?).
Is the song in question sung only once or twice in class, or is it drilled daily or studied for public performance? An incidental use of music you find questionable that is in the District's accepted music text is very different than a song used in concert that is practiced frequently.
Does the school district schedule public concerts only for Christmas and Easter. Does it use religious holiday titles?
At public concerts, are the majority of songs religious? While Irving Berlin's song, "White Christmas," is considered secular by the courts, it hardly balances out a concert otherwise containing only Christmas carols (hymns). Many Christmas carols are strongly theological, especially in the second and third verses. Nine Christmas songs and one "Dreidel Song" does not a balanced concert make. There should be diversity, other cultures represented, something non-holy-day/non-Hanukah related! As a student or parent, you can demand better and help educate.
Are there religious symbols used at concerts? Is this performance in a devotional setting? Are student bands, orchestras or choruses being inappropriately recruited by public school employees to "volunteer" for nativity pageants, concerts in religious settings or to sing with church choirs?
Is the music teacher, band leader or choral director making statements that actively promote religion, rather than instruction helping to promote music comprehension and mastery?

Generally speaking, thoughtful courts looking at religious music in public schools consider age of children; proportion of religious songs sung compared to secular; context (classroom or concert). Is the religious music at a ceremony or event that children must attend, or would wish to partake in, such as a graduation ceremony?

Deciding whether songs with deeper historic and academic merit cross that line between music education and an exploitation of a captive audience depends largely on context and circumstances. If a curriculum is balanced, the inclusion of some classical sacred music in an educational context may not convey endorsement. If school chorus curricula or performances routinely feature only sacred music, that is suspect.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,871 times
One of the first songs they teach you to play on most instruments is "ode to joy" Joyful joyful lord we adore thee, god of glory, lord of love.

Music and religion are intertwined. Music is one of the ONLY good things about religion. If they aren't indoctrinating the kid, be happy s/he is getting a well round education. This passes the smell test and seems okay to me.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
How about some naughty sea shantys.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:34 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
How about some naughty sea shantys.
Like "Roll the Leg Over"?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Maybe they should change it to:

Buddha bless America
Land that I love

(Naw, don't quite work). ummm . . .

or something more acceptable . . . maybe so neither Atheists nor Christians are offended:

Just put brackets and say [insert whatever or whomever you desire] bless America, Land that I love.

The Atheists can insert the lowly "amoeba" (in the brackets) that created us (according to them) if it makes them feel better?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
As an atheist, I have no problem with "god bless america" as a song in school music, along with other songs that don't mention god, or other ones that do, in different contexts. I will admit, I always found Xmas music kind of weird, didn't even know what they were referring to, and the schools I went to were majority Jewish kids. I don't remember any issues about Xmas at school and of course, they threw Hanukkah in for parity, although it really is a minor holiday in that religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism