Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,413,979 times

Advertisements

I was semi suprised today when I went into my kid's high school to register them. I say semi suprised because this is the deep south after all. But anyhow, I step into the office and plastered all over one of the walls were many many posters of different scriptures and the 10 suggestions. There was even a stack of tracts and NT's on the counter! I was sooo tempted to cause a scene over it but I was also in the middle of my work day and didn't want to get done later.....should I? Just for fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 06:03 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,708,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I was semi suprised today when I went into my kid's high school to register them. I say semi suprised because this is the deep south after all. But anyhow, I step into the office and plastered all over one of the walls were many many posters of different scriptures and the 10 suggestions. There was even a stack of tracts and NT's on the counter! I was sooo tempted to cause a scene over it but I was also in the middle of my work day and didn't want to get done later.....should I? Just for fun?

Oh YEA!!!!! I would come unglued!! if we have to call Christmas, Winter holiday to respect others beliefs at schools, then they should respect the beliefs of atheists, keep it behind the counter for those who ask for it!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,802,412 times
Best to keep quiet here in the Bible Belt. The worst thing you can do around here is to let someone know you're not just like them.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:11 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,824,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Best to keep quiet here in the Bible Belt. The worst thing you can do around here is to let someone know you're not just like them.
To an extent I agree.

If it's worth all the trouble OP, I would try the ACLU and see if there is anything they can do.

That sh** wouldn't have flied at my high school because I would have made a fuss. I made no qualms letting people know I didn't believe in god. For the most part people respected my beliefs and we had some good debates. Pretty soon I was just so and so who happens to be black, lesbian, and atheist.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,708,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This is the complete truth. When we lived in NC, we were asked by the neighbors what church we went to, well my husband took of his over shirt ( he had a tank on underneath) anyhow, the neighbor saw his tats and the look was priceless, but when my husband said, " oh we dont go to church we dont believe in that" oh man!! Well lets just say we moved fast, no one in the neighborhood would talk to us, or let their kids play with ours. It was BAD.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,666,399 times
I'm also in middle Tennessee (Nashville) but if someone becomes aggressive about their religious point of view towards me they're going to have to listen to my point of view as well. So far it's never happened in the year and a half since I moved here and I find southerners to be very friendly. I realize this is a very different culture from other more liberal cities that I've lived in but I do believe I have the right to express myself and not have to hide my lack of beliefs from anyone.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,712,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I would bring it up as a concern, sure. Start out nice and polite though, don't immediately set up a huge stink because that shows us in a bad light. If they balk...well, get a little more insistent but maintain your dignity and politeness!!! School shouldn't be promoting anyone's religion if it's a public school. If they make a fuss, call the ACLU.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,116,583 times
It probably wouldn't be worth the trouble it would cause you. How small of a town do you live in? Is it one where everybody knows each other? If so, I'd probably have to just let it slide.

I do wonder sometimes if us atheist are making a mistake by staying in the closet so much.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,373,271 times
I think I would write the Civil Liberties Union a letter. Often a letter from them to a School Board will put things back in order without exposing you or your children to the abuse of the religious right.
Here is their web sight. http://action.aclu.org/site/PageServer?pagename=AP_action_homepage

Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM

5,420 posts, read 6,523,554 times
Maybe you should go "Borat" on them, and pretend to be offended that MORE Christianity isn't in a public school. Ask them why "speaking in tongues" doesn't meet the foreign language requirement, tell them you think every kids should be required to take shop class since jesus was a carpenter, demand they serve loaves and fishes every day at the cafeteria, etc.

Mocking them might make them understand where they are going wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism