Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Am I in bizarro world? The defenition of atheism is "disbelief in a diety."

If there is no diety, what happens to us when we die?

We cease to exist? Correct?

If we cease to exist, there is no accountability. I didn't realize I made this difficult to understand.

Am I wrong?
I can't say you're wrong exactly. It's simply not what I believe.

I know it's a highly difficult concept for you and others to grasp, but millions of people get out of bed every day and simply endeavor to be good, caring, honest people without the need to believe in an invisible being.

We do it because it is right. We do it because we have fully developed functions of reason and conscience.

You cannot force belief in a diety. Try believing in any other god but your own and will yourself to not only believe in it, but to embrace it.

Check back with us in a week.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, if I was an atheist, (which I'm not), and I managed to get in a very powerful position, along with other atheists, what exactly would I need you for?

Are you a beautiful woman?

Are you an inventor? Or do you just use up resources like a parasite?

Because, if I only have one life to live, do you think I want to wait in lines? Do you think I want to see you at a "secluded" beach?

What exactly would I need you for?

If I kept you around, I would intentially endure suffering despite the fact that nobody can hold me accountable due to my position.

This is especially true if I convince other atheists to fully confide in their atheist ideolgy.

It's illogical for me to keep you around. You see what I'm saying?
It appears you are admitting that you are a self-obsessed sociopath and the only thing stopping you from treating others abominably is the fear of hell.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
The message is, I have one life to live and I don't get judged when I die.

Why wouldn't I take advantage of that? You think I'd really want to live in a house with boarded up windows, working two jobs, taking our your trash, cleaning up your wastes?

Hell to the no.

If I truly believed in the ideology of no accountability and entitlement, I'm gonna get mine. Like 50 cent said, "get rich or die tryin."

And if I die, no big deal, I just cease to exist. You want to win big, you got to risk big.
So the only thing standing between you now and you being a sociopathic a hole is that God's going judge you when you die?

Wow, those are some high standards you've set for yourself.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,918 times
Anyway, I'm starting to sound like an atheist, like I got all the damn answers in the world.

When in reality, I'm just as clueless as all of you. Many of you claim to know the answer to the greatest question of the world, but you can't even tell me what will happen tomorrow.

What I do have is faith, and the belief in accountability.

Have a good night.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,868 times
Quote:
I thought atheists were supposed to be logical. I can't always be right.
Is that your cute little way of avoiding acknowledging the fact that you and Hitler both believe that there can be no morality without religious faith?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
The only way you can prove to me that the sign represents Christianity is with documented evidence.

If you can find a place in the Gospel where Jesus makes this claim, than I cannot refute you.

But I'm going to tell you, you won't find it.

You already said that Christ doesn't exist, so if Christ doesn't exist, how does Christianity exist?

You want to have your cake and eat it. Life don't work like that.
Good grief, the sign names the church, and the name and address of the pastor...I've seen denial before, but you are taking it to a whole new level....Now why haven't you shown us that horrible atheist sign?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I know it's a highly difficult concept for you and others to grasp, but millions of people get out of bed every day and simply endeavor to be good, caring, honest people without the need to believe in an invisible being.

We do it because it is right. We do it because we have fully developed functions of reason and conscience.
It all boils down to the Golden Rule, which is universal, across all cultures, across all of history.

It's just plain common sense.

345 posts, read 643,040 times
Quote:
Anyway, I'm starting to sound like an atheist, like I got all the damn answers in the world.

When in reality, I'm just as clueless as all of you. Many of you claim to know the answer to the greatest question of the world, but you can't even tell me what will happen tomorrow.

Have a good night.
I'll take that as your admittance of defeat.

For my part, I don't label myself as an atheist. Agnostic would best describe me; I have no answers.

And while I'm not a fan of those atheists who push their ideas as ferociously as some theists, I'll stick out my neck when someone essentially claims that atheism is the same as sociopathy.

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
The German people had no problem giving Jews up to the Nazi's after a powerful propoganda campaign that reduced them to rodent status.

Couldn't the same thing be done in regards to the poor?

Then it wouldn't be an issue of conscious. If anything, it would be the right thing to do. There wouldn't be any fundamental basis backing something otherwise.

What's right would change to adapt to the circumstances surrounding the preeminant ideology.
You mean like certain "Christians" reduce gay and lesbian people down to just sex acts, cherry-pick the Bible, and spread misinformation about them to dehumanise them so they can justify treating them badly?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:

Have a good night.
I saw nobody here make such a claim except you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism