Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:49 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,135 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly confident and believe in myself. I seek advice of others (people I trust) when necessary. My family/friends (paricularly my wife) provide a strong sense of belonging and love. There are so many things I know so little about (science, history) and want to learn more about that I rarely get bored. If I'm frustrated/restless I try to exercise (which I do almost daily in any event).
EDIT TO ADD- it was my curiosity of religon that ultimately led to my disbelief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 01:23 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,155 times
I get my strength through my personal convictions, my loving fiancee, and my daughter. I'm not much for organized religion, nor do I use religion as a crutch to make me stronger.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 PM

50 posts, read 246,514 times
My nature tells me that I am G**'s work, which to me also means that I am not "my own", I am creature. This belief has kept me from suicide, has given me the faith to jump into the darkness of no guarantees, to face failure, etc.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
This question is directed more to the non-believers, but I'd enjoy hearing anyone's thoughts.

This morning I was feeling particularly blue and I prayed to God for strength to see me through. This is something that I do on a daily basis. Not that I am suffering from the blues daily. But God is my source of strength. Whenever I feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders, I lean on my Heavenly Father and he gives me strength. I guess that this might relate in some way to how PhillyChief believes that the very existence of God devalues from my own self. Why can't I just get through the day (and my toubles) on my own? I guess, for me, the answer would be, "because I don't have to".

I remember when my faith was not as strong as it is today. I remember watching other Christians deal with lifes challenges and feeling a little jealous. They knew that their God would take care of them, no matter what life dealt. It is good to have that security. It helps me face tomorrow.

Those of you who know me; know that this is not to meant to start any harsh debates. I am not in any way suggesting that I am better than you. This is just meant to be a thread of deeper understanding. I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

As always,
(even if you don't believe, I do)
May God bless us all...

Weather...
god always steps in after i have given up.
he is the calvary.
it seems i do my very best when i am weakest.
amazing.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,398 times
I get my strength from my love for my family and theirs for me.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:27 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,781 times
I get my strength from my history of successes. Granted, my history is peppered with failures (I call them lessons) as well. Drawing strength from my successes stems from a desire to continually better myself and to achieve more: realizing that my history of success is a testament to my ability.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
I get my strength from my history of successes. Granted, my history is peppered with failures (I call them lessons) as well. Drawing strength from my successes stems from a desire to continually better myself and to achieve more: realizing that my history of success is a testament to my ability.
Ah, yes, I like this. I just recently read a quote from Jim Horning describing this exact thing. Perhaps you might enjoy it:

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. -Jim Horning

Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,060 times
Ambition is a damned good factor for me, it makes me look forward to the future

Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
my favorite prayer of sampson.

28 And Samson called unto the Lord, and said, O Lord God, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,267 times
I'm go'na lov'em and hug'um and sqeez'um.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism