Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,965 times

Advertisements

This question is directed more to the non-believers, but I'd enjoy hearing anyone's thoughts.

This morning I was feeling particularly blue and I prayed to God for strength to see me through. This is something that I do on a daily basis. Not that I am suffering from the blues daily. But God is my source of strength. Whenever I feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders, I lean on my Heavenly Father and he gives me strength. I guess that this might relate in some way to how PhillyChief believes that the very existence of God devalues from my own self. Why can't I just get through the day (and my toubles) on my own? I guess, for me, the answer would be, "because I don't have to".

I remember when my faith was not as strong as it is today. I remember watching other Christians deal with lifes challenges and feeling a little jealous. They knew that their God would take care of them, no matter what life dealt. It is good to have that security. It helps me face tomorrow.

Those of you who know me; know that this is not to meant to start any harsh debates. I am not in any way suggesting that I am better than you. This is just meant to be a thread of deeper understanding. I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

As always,
(even if you don't believe, I do)
May God bless us all...

Weather...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 03:00 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
I get my strength from being me.
By this I mean that it has always been my goal in life to understand why I've made the choices that I've made. I believe that I've got a good handle on who I am and / or who I want to be.
The path a walk upon is the one I have freely chosen, therefore I rarely regret the choices I've made.
Whenever I doubt if I've made the right choice I reflect on all the choices I've made in my life.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM

578 posts, read 3,062,944 times
As a 100% non believer depending on the situation I get my strength from myself, I feel I don't need to rely on anybody or anything and if I do then I know my friends and family will help.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:03 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
Weather..

I think I get mine knowing that others out there have it far worse than I do. It reminds me how blessed I am so I try not to get too down when things don't go the way I'd like them to. Littlethirsty hates my tag line.. but I use it often.. "it is what it is".

Old 10-12-2007, 05:20 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,869 times
I'm with Big Thirsty....there are always people out there with bigger problems than mine...so I'm grateful that I have what I have and try to fix what's bothering me. I only pray for help if the situation is out of my own control, which isn't as often as it seems, because there is always a way to accomplish what you need to.

That's not to say that I don't take comfort in knowing that God is out there looking out for me, but I think he likes when we take action instead of waiting for Him to.

Now you have to understand that I am more laid back than the average person because I've almost died twice (and throught the grace of God didn't) and really there's nothing that bad once you've come through that twice.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
This question is directed more to the non-believers, but I'd enjoy hearing anyone's thoughts.

This morning I was feeling particularly blue and I prayed to God for strength to see me through. This is something that I do on a daily basis. Not that I am suffering from the blues daily. But God is my source of strength. Whenever I feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders, I lean on my Heavenly Father and he gives me strength. I guess that this might relate in some way to how PhillyChief believes that the very existence of God devalues from my own self. Why can't I just get through the day (and my toubles) on my own? I guess, for me, the answer would be, "because I don't have to".

I remember when my faith was not as strong as it is today. I remember watching other Christians deal with lifes challenges and feeling a little jealous. They knew that their God would take care of them, no matter what life dealt. It is good to have that security. It helps me face tomorrow.

Those of you who know me; know that this is not to meant to start any harsh debates. I am not in any way suggesting that I am better than you. This is just meant to be a thread of deeper understanding. I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

As always,
(even if you don't believe, I do)
May God bless us all...

Weather...
i actually get my strength from knowing that this is my only shot. for me, it makes things that much more worth it knowing that.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Might sound corny, but I think much of my strength comes from my loved ones... without them, I might not be here today - or at least would be more miserable!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:39 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Weather..

I think I get mine knowing that others out there have it far worse than I do. It reminds me how blessed I am so I try not to get too down when things don't go the way I'd like them to. Littlethirsty hates my tag line.. but I use it often.. "it is what it is".
I agree too. Perhaps I have been very fortunate in my life, but even as a teenager, I felt that I had control of my life. I haven't been able to control others, but I don't feel a need to. I haven't always been totally happy with things, but even then, I knew that I could do something about my condition if I wanted to bad enough.

I have also been in a near death situtation. I had the choice of breathing or just giving up. I decided to breathe. It's not my nature to give up or just sit back and wait for something to happen.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:24 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
From eating my Wheaties!!

YouTube - Classic 1970's Bruce Jenner Wheaties Cereal Commercial

but not as much strength as these!!

YouTube - John Belushi's Little Chocolate Donuts

Old 10-17-2007, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,134 times
To Weather, I Know You Don't Know Me And I Don't Know You But I'm New To This Site And I Would Like To Say That I'm Prove Of You For Giving God Thanks. I Am A Christian I Believe In Him 100% And I Do Feel Sorry For The One's That Don't Believe Because He Is Real. I Want Everyone To Know That I'm Know Better Than The Next Person And I'm Not Trying To Judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism