Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,570,617 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
citizenkane

Here you are suggesting that something with the extraordinary intelligence required to create and operate a universe, as well as keeping track of every single thought and action of every human who has ever lived, and simultaneously is able to maintain in perpetuity, an afterlife of reward and an afterlife of punishment for every human who has ever lived.....is subject to normal human emotions.
You are starting from a false premise.....

You are presupposing that God is copying something from US. Emotions are not a "human" thing. Since He is the creator, we are instead, reflecting Him. "Emotion and intellect start with Him". We merely demonstrate traits He gave to us.....that is how we are "made in His image" emotion, intellect and free-will. These are the communicable attributes of God that we share. Sin has corrupted those things in us. So we do not reflect God perfectly.

Because your starting point is wrong,

It is no wonder that your conclusion is what it is.

And since you seem to have the God attribute of omniscience, (you know all things seen and unseen) you can tell me how you know for certainty that He's not out there waiting to meet you face to face at your appointed time?

Or are you just exercising "faith" and hoping really hard, He's not there?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,570,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Purposeful stupidity and intentional ignorance tends to kinda irk some level-headed people.

Not very level-headed to battle fairie tales, right? You could using that fabulous brain of yours for more worthy pursuits! Instead you waste energy on something you dont even believe in.

I'd never do that......it's meaningless.

So whatcha worried about?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,943,906 times
And the father sayeth to his children... "Shush, you little toadies, you non-believers! I'm telling the bedtime story now, and I promised to tell you Ther God's Truth when you were finally old enough to suss the truth out for yourself, so (<shush! I said SHUSH!>)here it is! Sit quietly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
No, the explanation is simple...and scientific.

Pangaea.

Y'see, when Noah was tipped off by God that he was going to waterblast the global slate clean and start again with a pure and righteous family (give or take a bit of necessary incest) it was on Pangea, where all the future continents were attached in one big global lump, with the rivers Pishon, Gihon, Tigris and Euphrates dividing off Havilah, where Noah, Shipbuilder, Metalworker and Vetinary expert, dwelt in a community of total suckers, from all the bits that would later become Europe, the Americas, Asia and Australasia. like a 'Tear along the dotted lines' minature philatelic sheet.

You can see what's coming, can't you? Well save it, cos I'm telling this.

After Noah had sent his lads out collecting Dinosaur eggs and The Lord made it that they should be laid in pink and blue shells, that Noah's sons might collect two of each kind, give or take an Allosaur bite or two. And The Lord made it so that all those kinds -dog, horse, cow, bird (apart from a definite dove and raven which God would need to put in his book ), camellama, marsupial-kind , sortacat and a sorta pig-elephant Baramin plus some pretty already evolved sheep which Noah would need for a Jewish -type sacrifice and all those creatures not so numerous to be an embarrassment nor so huge as to make it a problem getting them in the door were inspired by God to march in double file to where Noah, with his 2 -year supply crates of freeze -dried fodder brought from the Andes years before all ready to load onto his 400 foot - long Ark, which would not break its back, as The Lord could surely magic that after all that he had done up to now.

And, as the rain began to fall, Noah thanked all those metalworkers, woodworkers, food and animal collectors and closed the door, leaving the idiots outside waiting for their pay. They were still waiting when the Ark floated away and the waters closed over their heads. Since their thoughts were wickedness alway, (Gen. 6.5-6) they deserved all they got.

To cut short a long story full of problems of accommodation, sick animals and how to dispose of a hundred tons of dung daily, the Ark came to rest on a mountain which, like all the other mountains had shot up under it, compressing what would look to later Satan -inspired Darwinist atheist -evilutionists like a million years of geology into a coupla months.

'Cool trick.' saithed Noah as he let his half million sick animals tumble out of the door and down the mud-slicked foothills to the valleys where the mud was fifty feet deep and full of drowned dinosaurs already turning to fossils in order to fool later scientists, puffed up with pride.

And The Lord said to him; 'divide ye up these beasts, critters, birds and creeping things as I shall direct ye, for ye haven't seen anything yet.'

And Noah and his sons, taking stout staves and rods, beat the carnivores off the sorta cows, for there was not a bloody thing to eat else, in the whole world, and God said unto them.

'Go ye, each to the four corners of the land of Pangea and take with thee all the animals appropriate to each continent; and hang on tight.'
Oh, and then there's this add-on in Basic Logic by the logical grandparent type: GrampaStander...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Why didn't it dawn on this all powerful god to make a world and creatures programmed in such a way that there would never be any need to destroy them all and start over again with Noah's family?

√ What an immensely stupid god you project....it knows all this, yet creates the world anyway. You believe in a god which is dumber than the majority of humans, I certainly would have never been this dense.

√ And for that matter, why didn't god skip the whole corporal life business and just create heaven and populate it with adoring worshipers? Why this earthly test? This is a god who enjoys watching folks suffer?

Think...don't believe blindly....think about what it is you are supposed to be believing.
A turer sooth-saying there never was! Think, don't just believe! Don't be a dunce-head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

Just answer my question.....why does it bug you that some believe?
Well, 'cause, citizenkane! we of a more logical and educated divinity can't abide The Continuum of Abject Stupidity wrought by brainless sheeple-ized followers. Plus... it makes a fine OBJECT LESSON for those readers here who want to observe the ultimate & final intellectual demise of that Ewlde Schyool of Non-Think to which fundamentalist Christians cling so fervently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

You cause harm to people, and you obfuscate the truth.

Answering...

Mircea
Quote:
[/b]

Not very level-headed to battle fairie tales, right? You could using that fabulous brain of yours for more worthy pursuits! Instead you waste energy on something you dont even believe in.

As stated. Why stand idly by while others damage the advancement of society!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,219,264 times
[quote=citizenkane2;28775177]
Quote:

You are starting from a false premise.....

You are presupposing that God is copying something from US. Emotions are not a "human" thing. Since He is the creator, we are instead, reflecting Him. "Emotion and intellect start with Him". We merely demonstrate traits He gave to us.....that is how we are "made in His image" emotion, intellect and free-will. These are the communicable attributes of God that we share. Sin has corrupted those things in us. So we do not reflect God perfectly.

Because your starting point is wrong,

It is no wonder that your conclusion is what it is.

And since you seem to have the God attribute of omniscience, (you know all things seen and unseen) you can tell me how you know for certainty that He's not out there waiting to meet you face to face at your appointed time?

Or are you just exercising "faith" and hoping really hard, He's not there?
Hold on here, I do not acknowledge that any god exists, so it is quite impossible for me to be presupposing anything at all about its composition. I was commenting on your assumptions. Your above response is merely another set of ungrounded assumptions which again reflect your desires rather than any evidence based inference.

I didn't have a starting point here, so it cannot be wrong.

Hoping that this is clear to you now, but fearing that it isn't, I ask that you provide the evidence you employed in asserting those things about the nature of a god which you do assert. Do you have anything beyond simple declarations based on your assumptions?

And this time remember, the answer isn't "No, your premise is all wrong"...I do not have a god premise. You do.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM

5,540 posts, read 7,135,325 times
Quote:
There is nothing is Jesus' life or teaching that reflects blowing people up....
There is nothing in Jesus' "life" or "teaching" period.

It's all just babyish mumbo-jumbo about some fictitious diaper-clad space-zombie with a really bad haircut.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,707,918 times
Quote:
[/b]

No one here's battling your god, we're battling the misinformation provided by theists. Actually its more like educating instead of battling.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,943,906 times
We all strive to come to our own conclusions about the God Of The Universe, [GOTU] as though we must of needs achieve some understanding of His achievements, but such insights are always based our human intellectual limitations, those processes and creativities that can we understand. Or claim to. Or strive to.

Those who at least try to expand the universe of possibilities beyond their own hard understandings, perhaps like Mystic PhD on these fora, to include ways we as mere homo sapiens never will understand, still have a distinct advantage over some...

Those who, at the other end of supposed understandings, for which everything, each nuance and universal "tremble", must be understood in terms of what a benevolent hominid entity with very understandable or at least very human capabilities might have done with His wriggling nose or Her waggling fingers, leave a massive and entire Table of Contents of options on the table, without even attempting to turn over the Tarot Cards of this universe to peek at what might be. Or could be.

After all, the possibilites of the universe's energy [anti-energy?] inter-actions, outer-actions or trans-actions, streams (or whatever forms they/He/it/we) might take, are so far beyond our self-imagined ego-driven mental abilities as to be... unimaginable. What if they always are and always will be untouchable?

And what will the needy types, those who can't live without a good solid "country & western song" type of understanding, do exactly, as they fully realize they are so far off course that they've lost it all before they even had a chance to find it?

Signing off....

Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM

5,540 posts, read 7,135,325 times
Quote:
[/b]
Unprecedented trend-setting stupidity?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,086,588 times
Quote:
[/b]

racism and "the divine right of kings" was a faerie tale too.

I mean, why would God allow those princes to be born? obviously he wanted them to be kings. i.e. YOUR RELIGION HAS CONSEQUENCES.

Quote:
There is nothing is Jesus' life or teaching that reflects blowing people up....

Muhammad , on the other hand, he calls for killing unbelievers.
Jesus? The guy who chased the Money Changer around WITH A WHIP? The guy who ordered the ancient Israelite (In the OT) to kill every child and donkey in the enemy camp in the name of vengeance? Jesus, the guy who cursed a tree because it didn't do what it naturally couldn't and because he (or his followers) wanted to fit Jewish prophesy?
Jesus? the guy who said he came not to bring peace, but the sword? The guy who told the story about how a King got those who didn't believe in his legitimacy and after the war killed them, the end? I think you are going to need to read your ink on paper a little more rigorously.

Where does Muhammad call for killing unbelievers? specifics please, it will help the atheists rail against them too.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-22-2013 at 02:54 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,909,116 times
Seriously, how has this thread survived this long?

It has to be divine intervention. If it lasts much longer, I'm going to have to convert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism