Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,910,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Where does Muhammad call for killing unbelievers? specifics please, it will help the atheists rail against them too.
Quran 2:191

And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,017,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
How can Christians even defend this story with a straight face? Seriously can somebody explain how all the Earth's creatures were stored on this ark for 40 days with everything taken care of. I want the sizes of the animals, all of the logistics of this and how it is accomplished. Why didn't God just re-create the animals / creatures again from scratch like he did in the beginning? Everything does not need another to reproduce. What about asexual animals?
I think you are coming at this from some false assumptions.

1. All earth's creatures were not on the ark.
  2. They were not stored on the ark for 40 days.
  3. Eventually I'll think of a third one

Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,709,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I think you are coming at this from some false assumptions.

1. All earth's creatures were not on the ark.
  2. They were not stored on the ark for 40 days.
  3. Eventually I'll think of a third one
You're right.

1. Only 2 of each or 7 of each, according to which version you believe.
2. They were stored for nearly a year.
3. That all of the animals could have made the trek from their homelands, like penguins, kangaroos, Koalas, or polar bears, without being killed, drowning as they crossed the oceans, or dying from heat exhaustion.
4. That the animals had to eat.
5. That the animals had to defecate.
6. That the animals had to drink water.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,364,337 times
Quote:
All earth's creatures were not on the ark.
You're right. Evidently, unicorns literally "missed the boat".

Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM

247 posts, read 237,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Quran 2:191

And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.
...just to play devils advocate, the preceding verse does give a pretty clear disclaimer for that:

Quote:
2:190 Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors.
...personally, I'd still rather stick with Spider-man for my fiction tho; I think Uncle Ben had a better grasp of morality than the Abrahamic books (and Doctor Octopus was way cooler than the Devil).

Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,575,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
And the father sayeth to his children... "Shush, you little toadies, you non-believers! I'm telling the bedtime story now, and I promised to tell you Ther God's Truth when you were finally old enough to suss the truth out for yourself, so (<shush! I said SHUSH!>)here it is! Sit quietly!

Oh, and then there's this add-on in Basic Logic by the logical grandparent type: GrampaStander...

A turer sooth-saying there never was! Think, don't just believe! Don't be a dunce-head!

Well, 'cause, citizenkane! we of a more logical and educated divinity can't abide The Continuum of Abject Stupidity wrought by brainless sheeple-ized followers. Plus... it makes a fine OBJECT LESSON for those readers here who want to observe the ultimate & final intellectual demise of that Ewlde Schyool of Non-Think to which fundamentalist Christians cling so fervently.

As stated. Why stand idly by while others damage the advancement of society!
But surely your more advanced way of thinking makes room for all to share openly in the public square....right?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 AM

[quote=Grandstander;28776080]
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

Hold on here, I do not acknowledge that any god exists, so it is quite impossible for me to be presupposing anything at all about its composition. I was commenting on your assumptions. Your above response is merely another set of ungrounded assumptions which again reflect your desires rather than any evidence based inference.

I didn't have a starting point here, so it cannot be wrong.

Hoping that this is clear to you now, but fearing that it isn't, I ask that you provide the evidence you employed in asserting those things about the nature of a god which you do assert. Do you have anything beyond simple declarations based on your assumptions?

And this time remember, the answer isn't "No, your premise is all wrong"...I do not have a god premise. You do.
You referenced in your statement a "god subject to human emotions" , did you not? I didnt say you believed in God. I was using the the statement YOU made.

And the statement was a false premise.....an erroneous jumping off point.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You're right.

1. Only 2 of each or 7 of each, according to which version you believe.
3. That all of the animals could have made the trek from their homelands, like penguins, kangaroos, Koalas, or polar bears, without being killed, drowning as they crossed the oceans, or dying from heat exhaustion.
6. That the animals had to drink water.
If an all powerful God is in this equation, this is very possible.

He can suspend the the natural processes He put in place for a specified time.....including the aggression and predatory nature that animals have.

And as far as travel to the ark is concerned.....it took Noah 120 years to build it.

Also....no doubt the topography before the flood was very different. You are assuming that the Indian Ocean or the Pacific even existed.......there might have been land masses between the continents we know today.......

Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,234,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
If an all powerful God is in this equation, this is very possible.

As would be the creation of a world where there would not be any need to kill all the people in a giant flood.

You postulate an all powerful god, albeit one with very poor judgment. The notion that the same entity which is responsible for the existence of the world was also responsible for having to slaughter nearly all of its inhabitants, certainly suggests a god who goofed.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,364,337 times
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn
You're right.

Quote:
. Only 2 of each or 7 of each, according to which version you believe.
6. That the animals had to drink water

Not just have water to drink, but massive aquariums for fish. If the flooding was salt water, the freshwater fish would not survive, and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism