Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
From my FB feed:
From Don's family: We are sad to share with you all that Don passed away on Saturday evening. As some of you may know, he had not been well for some time. Though we are deeply saddened by the loss, we are grateful that he is no longer suffering. We're thankful for his life and cherish the times we spent with him.
Don Wooldridge
23 November 1947 to 26 October 2013
Man, I'm blown away. I don't even know what to say. I'll just pretend he's still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Mircea: thx for this informative post, but you might just calm down my potential fiscal donators, so stop it please. I'll even cut you in for part of the "take".

BTW, I used to be a Canuck, and will have you know that us Western Canadians do NOT say "aboot". That's the domain of those damned Easterners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Point well taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Seriously? Defend "Atheism is more 'logical' than theism"? Who's asking? Or better.... why?

An individual's belief in a theistic (Christian) God entity is not based on any logical interpretation, only on an assumption that the bible is somehow inerrant.
Quote:
I like that.
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by rifleman

All ONE BILLION of them. Including plants, algae, insects and samples of diatoms, plankton, shrimp and...

3. Then, we arrive at the Ark Departure Gate. "Y'all line up now, and hop on board. Please go happily"... into a windowless stinking wooden barge absent auto-anti-roll stabilization fins that frankly, any good cruise liner now has. To keep you from endlessly upchucking over the side, you understand...

Quote: Originally Posted by mircea

Just shows you how backward and unsophisticated the Hebrews and their god really are.

In the Deluge stories of other cultures, the deity is superior to Yahweh because the Hero was given the "seeds of life" for selected animals to preserve, and didn't have to bring every animal onboard the vessel.

Of course, in those stories, the Deluge was natural occuring cataclysmic event that lasted a few days, and it wasn't a punishment.

[Note to self: Move the spider plants and air ferns away from the bed lest they become wicked and evil and attack me while I'm sleeping]
Speechless and crying...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 04:46 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Man, I'm blown away. I don't even know what to say. I'll just pretend he's still here.

Ditto.
Quote:
Speechless and crying...
Ditto.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:50 PM

I fear Arequipa is gone too.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
From my FB feed:
From Don's family: We are sad to share with you all that Don passed away on Saturday evening. As some of you may know, he had not been well for some time. Though we are deeply saddened by the loss, we are grateful that he is no longer suffering. We're thankful for his life and cherish the times we spent with him.
Don Wooldridge
23 November 1947 to 26 October 2013
I am sorry to hear of this. We had many interesting conversations. My condolences to his family.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:30 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickMoreDaisies View Post
Thank you for this post SeekerSA. I am his daughter from his first marriage. I know that my father truly valued his time in these forums and the friendships that he developed here. I have been spending the last view days reading through his many posts and they have been a great comfort to me.
I am so sorry for your loss. Although I never knew him out in the world, we had some interesting conversations. I will sorely miss his presence here at CD.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I fear Arequipa is gone too.
I've been worried about him. Sent a DM a couple-three weeks ago wondering if he was on vacation or something. Was going to start another thread but since he and Rifle were friends, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind a slight detour in his memorial thread.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 PM

13 posts, read 12,510 times
ohhhkay...I knew my father well. I am usually quite wordy (I come by it honestly I wager). I must do an obituary for my father to run in the British Columbian newspapers. I have got all the regular info figured out but I sure could use some other words to describe him. I thought I'd ask...getting out the thesaurus seems so cold and impersonal. Maybe asking strangers in an internet forum is as well...feel free to judge me but I don't have any frame of reference for this surreal experience...

I'm finding that I'm at a loss for words. I can't even begin it seems...

I know that there are people here who were close to him so I thought I'd fish for maybe some profound sentiments...orrr possibly a non-religious poem? It's hard to find an obituary poem that doesn't talk about God...what do the atheists quote???

Alrighty, I actually just mined this thread for some sentiments...judging their strength by how much they made me cry (seems as valid a process as any). Sooo I'd love any quotes or poems that people can come up with that fit my father...if anyone feels up to it...

Last edited by PickMoreDaisies; 10-31-2013 at 08:56 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
ohhhkay...I knew my father well. I am usually quite wordy (I come by it honestly I wager). I must do an obituary for my father to run in the British Columbian newspapers. I have got all the regular info figured out but I sure could use some other words to describe him. I thought I'd ask...getting out the thesaurus seems so cold and impersonal. Maybe asking strangers in an internet forum is as well...feel free to judge me but I don't have any frame of reference for this surreal experience...

Well he was certainly an educator and his wit was superb not to mention his writing style. He was and is a legend.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 PM

717 posts, read 648,135 times
Perhaps you will forgive this believer commending his soul into the love of God.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:52 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:

I know that there are people here who were close to him so I thought I'd fish for maybe some profound sentiments...orrr possibly a non-religious poem? It's hard to find an obituary poem that doesn't talk about God...what do the atheists quote???
Perhaps you could simply quote a few things your father said in his posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism