Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times

Advertisements

What I don't get is why someone who is an atheist would decide that means they shouldn't celebrate a certain holiday.

Whether that be Thanksgiving or any other. The holidays we have mentioned weren't originated by them anyway. Just toss out the christian trappings and celebrate the way it fits your life best.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges
Quote:
If you ask an asinine question of people, they won't be all that pleased with it.
So if you do not know something as an adult you can only be asinine instead of really not knowing and only guessing because you never dared to ask as a child?

Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by happytownWhy be sorry?
You made my bad jokes look good, dude.
Kudo's for doing that.
Happy to help make your jokes better!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 PM

240 posts, read 470,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
History isn't my strong suit, but I doubt that the white folk would have embraced an Indian ritual...didn't they...we? ...consider them heathens? I guess I am too cynical to even believe that whole happy scene of the Indians and whites breaking bread together like that. I'm sure that someone will fill us in on the real scoop.

Thank you to the other posters. And, again, not to antagonize, but what about a beautiful day or the ocean? I'm not suggesting that it has to be God that one thanks, but are you grateful for that? Maybe to mother earth? I guess what I am trying to wrap my head around is that there are so many things that bring me joy and for that I am grateful. And, as I believe in God, I am grateful to God. And those of other faiths have gratitude to their higher power. But if there is no belief in a higher power, then is the joy for things like that a response more than an appreciation for the creation of those things?

ain, please don't think that I am placing any judgement on how one appreciates nature, just wondering how it is perceived by those who do not believe in something greater than mankind.

LOL! I agreee, but probably for different reasons....I hate shopping!
Hey Hif,

Not understanding what ur not understanding. What do you think atheists are? Aliens or perhaps dogs or maybe heartless beasts. You ask a question that insults and you know it. And please don't think i am placing any judgement on you.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
I guess some people have found their turkey to carve up, whether they celebrate Thanksgiving or not. It also seems that it doesn't matter if you are religious or not to celebrate this joyous festivity.
I guess we all can be thankful for this.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:15 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
Gobble, gobble! Who got my giblets?!

Old 11-26-2007, 12:42 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
I thought Thanksgiving was about gratefulness and being aware of your own "blessings" in life. What is particularly religious about that ? It just makes good sense to appreciate what you have and reflect on that.

Most religious holidays and festivals are rooted in earlier pagan celebrations anyway so why not celebrate them !?

I celebrate Christmas not as the birth of Christ ( which would not be in December) but as a time for reflection and getting together and for putting a particular emphasis on others who are lonely and vulnerable.
I don't celebrate Easter, but if anyone gives me a chocolate egg or bells, I will give them a big smile and say Thank You !

Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I thought Thanksgiving was about gratefulness and being aware of your own "blessings" in life. What is particularly religious about that ? It just makes good sense to appreciate what you have and reflect on that.

Most religious holidays and festivals are rooted in earlier pagan celebrations anyway so why not celebrate them !?

I celebrate Christmas not as the birth of Christ ( which would not be in December) but as a time for reflection and getting together and for putting a particular emphasis on others who are lonely and vulnerable.
I don't celebrate Easter, but if anyone gives me a chocolate egg or bells, I will give them a big smile and say Thank You !
We celebrate Easter with all the fertility symbols intact. Easter Eggs, chicks, bunnies etc.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
I'm vegetarian and atheist so I have no reason to be around turkey but I sometimes visit friends after dinner.

I wonder what the responses would be if the question were: Do christians celebrate thanksgiving?

Old 11-26-2007, 03:39 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,101 times
Thread closed, OPs request.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism