Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 06:44 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think science has a lot going for it
(a) because it can validate its' results rather than just repeat them as faith-claims
(b) it is universal. There are many religions; there is only one science.
yeah, and shut down science, meaning it all, that doesn't conform to anti-religious?

never, and I mean never, offer claims about the properties of god that may line up with science.

Its not good for the cause is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 06:52 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I think "post modernist" might just be a person that can break down what people are saying to the root notion that the person is using to form the set of beliefs that person runs their life by.

"science has a lot going for us"

vs

"scientist has a lot going for us"
Postmodernism is an intellectual stance[1] or a mode of discourse[2][3] that rejects the possibility of reliable knowledge,[4][5] denies the existence of a universal, stable reality,[6][7][8][9] and frames aesthetics and beauty as arbitrary and subjective.[10][11] It can be described as a reaction against scientific attempts to explain reality with objective certainty, recognizing that reality is constructed as the mind tries to understand its own personal circumstances. WIKI

Old 07-09-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Postmodernism is an intellectual stance[1] or a mode of discourse[2][3] that rejects the possibility of reliable knowledge,[4][5] denies the existence of a universal, stable reality,[6][7][8][9] and frames aesthetics and beauty as arbitrary and subjective.[10][11] It can be described as a reaction against scientific attempts to explain reality with objective certainty, recognizing that reality is constructed as the mind tries to understand its own personal circumstances. WIKI
ok, list those for a set traits of a person.

rejects the possibility of reliable knowledge
denies the existence of a universal, stable reality
can be described as a reaction against scientific attempts to explain reality with objective certainty

why would I listen to this person past, listening and moving on?

Old 07-09-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
ok, list those for a set traits of a person.

rejects the possibility of reliable knowledge
denies the existence of a universal, stable reality
can be described as a reaction against scientific attempts to explain reality with objective certainty

why would I listen to this person past, listening and moving on?
You would not listen, but many do.
Their views on what is beautiful are disturbing.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:23 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
A post modernist thinks differently.
I shall be interested to hear their rationale for being correct.

Incidentally I thought your piece of Jungian archetypes was interesting. I used to think that Jung was out of his mind, but I've modified my views a lot on that. But i was puzzled by you point about memes. The instinctive ones, such as Jung's archetypes are surely hardwired into the DNA. Educated instinct is overlaid on the capacity to learn and is not itself in the DNA and might not be the sort of thing to be genetically transmitted, but then such memes (Dawkins talking about indoctrinated ideas) wouldn't be anything to do with Jungian archetypes, surely?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:28 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
On initial sight looks wrong to me. Whatever is going on in the human mind, nature has a reality of its' own never mind what we think about it. Humans of course can approach human values, aesthetics and so -on however they like, but that is nothing to do with scientifically -verified reality.

You probably did the right thing, Btw in ignoring Arach's predictably obsessive-bias post and just post what you wanted to explain.

Quote:
There is not much more disturbing that Picasso's " Les Demoiselles d'Avignon". It is a different approach to beauty? is it even supposed to be beauty, or a celebration of ugliness? Is Picasso messing with our heads by pressing the libido button and the repulsion button at the same time?

I doubt that Postmodernist views on the human standards on 'beauty' would upset me very much.

Incidentally, I saw that Arach posted some sense. It has to be said.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-09-2019 at 07:36 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I shall be interested to hear their rationale for being correct.

Incidentally I thought your piece of Jungian archetypes was interesting. I used to think that Jung was out of his mind, but I've modified my views a lot on that. But i was puzzled by you point about memes. The instinctive ones, such as Jung's archetypes are surely hardwired into the DNA. Educated instinct is overlaid on the capacity to learn and is not itself in the DNA and might not be the sort of thing to be genetically transmitted, but then such memes (Dawkins talking about indoctrinated ideas) wouldn't be anything to do with Jungian archetypes, surely?
I don't know enough to differentiate a long standing MEME from a Jungian archetype. However, short lived new memes are not archetypes. Archetypes are interesting because they are often depicted in fiction novels and hence one can learn a lot from these novels even if they are fiction.

"Jung also made the suggestion of there being more than one layer making up the shadow. The top layers contain the meaningful flow and manifestations of direct personal experiences. These are made unconscious in the individual by such things as the change of attention from one thing to another, simple forgetfulness, or a repression. Underneath these idiosyncratic layers, however, are the archetypes which form the psychic contents of all human experiences. Jung described this deeper layer as "a psychic activity which goes on independently of the conscious mind and is not dependent even on the upper layers of the unconscious—untouched, and perhaps untouchable—by personal experience" (Campbell, 1971)."

The shadow is the shadow even in people that lived 2500 years ago and that is why I mentioned the Cain Abel story above. Obviously total fiction, an imaginary story, but with a message that explains the state of mind of modern mass shooters in America. That nihilism and despair that leads to suicide by cop.

As for MEMEs: It is fascinating when I see my wife behaving just like her mother. Or when I catch myself acting just like my dad.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I think I understand? My brother and I found a dog in trash bag once. Its a city boy thing. But how it was decaying was amazing. It was gross to be sure. My brother ran from the smell. and I felt bad for the dog. But the process was cool none the less.

it was almost a liquid? that was cool. The taste of punk in mouth was not.

I think people listen because they are 1/2 correct. Too many people toss out everything because they find something offensive or it hurt them in some way.

for example

1) rejects the possibility of reliable knowledge.

vs

2) rejects the possible that all knowledge reliable.

vs

3) figures don't lie, liars figure?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I don't know enough to differentiate a long standing MEME from a Jungian archetype. However, short lived new memes are not archetypes. Archetypes are interesting because they are often depicted in fiction novels and hence one can learn a lot from these novels even if they are fiction.

"Jung also made the suggestion of there being more than one layer making up the shadow. The top layers contain the meaningful flow and manifestations of direct personal experiences. These are made unconscious in the individual by such things as the change of attention from one thing to another, simple forgetfulness, or a repression. Underneath these idiosyncratic layers, however, are the archetypes which form the psychic contents of all human experiences. Jung described this deeper layer as "a psychic activity which goes on independently of the conscious mind and is not dependent even on the upper layers of the unconscious—untouched, and perhaps untouchable—by personal experience" (Campbell, 1971)."

The shadow is the shadow even in people that lived 2500 years ago and that is why I mentioned the Cain Abel story above. Obviously total fiction, an imaginary story, but with a message that explains the state of mind of modern mass shooters in America. That nihilism and despair that leads to suicide by cop.

As for MEMEs: It is fascinating when I see my wife behaving just like her mother. Or when I catch myself acting just like my dad.
yeah ... I think get this. Our outer brains are doing a lot of work. But out inner brains (really lower levels) and body are inputting information to that out layer and that influx of information influences our final behavior.

we are really just a set of memes passing through. Like waves on a ocean.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:58 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
As an electronics engineer, I have to admit I am driven by data, empirical measurements and proof of evidence. I build a circuit, flip a switch and see the bulb light up. I think this drives me more towards an Atheist outlook as I personally see no evidence of any sort of divine being and plenty of evidence of evolution and the sheer randomness of life.

I was bought up a Christian and my interpretation of bible is, in my opinion, a blueprint of past learning and mistakes and a set of anecdotal instructions for how to live with your fellow man. As such I am OK with that.

What do you think, are engineers and science-based professions more likely to lead to an atheist outlook on things?
Purely anecdotal but nevertheless my experience; my working life brought me into close contact with many scientists, physicians and a good many engineers. My experience was that, despite engineers being the lesser number of contacts, I got the distinct impression that they were more likely to have religious beliefs that those in the hard sciences. Physicians seemed to go either way. Like I said, purely anecdotal but I had often idly thought about this from time to time. I would say those in the hard sciences are much more likely to be atheist than the general population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism