Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 PM

34 posts, read 25,756 times

Advertisements

Curious to see the boards history. I grew up Catholic and started to have doubts about the organization. I thought it was more like a fraternity. Had something happen that proved it to me so I left. I am now agnostic.

Edit.. I meant perspective. Got ahead of myself.

Last edited by Amazing Moves; 09-22-2014 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: Title- perspective instead of prospective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Quote:
What religion were you raised in?
Catholic

Quote:
What changed your prospective?
Reaching the age of reason

Old 09-22-2014, 10:41 PM

411 posts, read 416,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Moves View Post
Curious to see the boards history. I grew up Catholic and started to have doubts about the organization. I thought it was more like a fraternity. Had something happen that proved it to me so I left. I am now agnostic.

Respectfully, I would say that there is a difference between 'prospective' and 'perspective' but anyway.....

I was raised Catholic and still remember my first communion but as I got older I had more questions than answers. It seemed to me that Mary Magdalene was the only woman that held reverence and even she was regarded by some as a "harlot" or "secret lover". Meanwhile in the Catholic community I lived in, women were at the forefront of organisations that ensured children received food , care and vaccinations. They held bingo nights and friendship groups for the elderly, disabled and isolated. Single parent families were headed by women and yet Catholic men worked and drank their wages away and priests were cold and dismissive and apparently "busy with other activities" (we now know what they were).

I decided (cynically) that it's just another boys club and I can't and won't be part of it. I'm now agnostic but still pray occasionally.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
I was raised as both a Catholic and a Plymouth Brethren (open). Never got into either of them, but even from a young age, I was always interested in sermons. I think I saw JC as a good person, rather than some magic guy. I didn't mind a sing -along either.

I remember thinking nuns seemed womanly. The big thick plaits and head scarves that the bretho woman had, were kind of hot as well. Once I hit a certain age, there was always plenty of eye candy, in either church.

Nothing really changed my perspective, as I don't think I ever really believed. I was just doing time, until my 16th birthday.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:06 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Moves View Post

Edit.. I meant perspective. Got ahead of myself.
I fixed the title for you. If it ever comes up again, just ask a Mod. It's a quick and easy thing to do.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:26 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Raised in a typical independent "non-denominational" evangelical / fundamentalist belief-system. What changed my perspective was the yawning gap between the supposed promises of god and the Real World. But that was only an initial impetus; as my understanding matured my perspective change was cemented by evidence / facts that were lacking in my religion and totally substantiated my emerging acceptance of reality / life as it actually is.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
My parents were atheists (father was a former Catholic, mother an apostate Jew), but in my late teens I starting exploring religion. I started at a UU fellowship, and then while dating my now husband, started attending a baptist church with him (he eventually became a youth pastor). For more than a decade I truly thought I was a believer and was "saved"... but then it began to slowly erode, until one day I was finally honest with myself and realized I just don't believe any of it. I kept it to myself because my husband's job kept a roof over our heads, and my lack of belief would be perceived as failure on his part. But once he decided to leave the church and get a normal job, I finally came clean to him. Not surprisingly, he already suspected.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
I was not raised in a religion, per se.

I was raised in the United States without any particular parental religious input. But here there is this pervasive notion that religious claims are simply part of the indisputed reality of our existence. So in that sense, I initially had a vague understanding and resulting acceptance of Christian ideas of God and whatnot, in the same ways that I was aware of such things as space travel and dinosaurs and other phenomena which I had not yet witnessed in any way.

However, at an early age I developed an avid interest in science, and read abundantly on all sorts of scientific topics. Thus, I was rapidly disabused of whatever incipient religious notions were floating around my young mind.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:27 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,169 times
Grew up going to Methodist churches; my parents' interest seemed to wax and wane over the years. I tried reading the Bible around age 12 but that made it harder to believe, not easier. A couple of years after that my parents went thru a "born-again" phase that really alienated me. I went to a Methodist-affiliated university but was never a believer after age 13.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times
my parents are atheists and ive never given my personal beliefs any thought. i used to be indifferent to religion, but as i age i become more wary of religious folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism