Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 11:00 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,676 times

Advertisements

Its an interesting study in a broad spectrum of thought within the atheist community . Some of my friends , neighbors and work associates are either agnostic , atheists or just don't care or know what they are ( la la la land?) They are good people with nice kids mostly , but zero faith or even a position on God. The little girl across the street is 12 and studying witchcraft and has a Homosexual girl friend (whatever). So what's my point? Well my wife and I wonder why Allah , Ganesha , Shiva Shakta, Lord Krishna , and other gods aren't a focus or why they are addressed at all? Then I wonder what will become of them if
wrong about the God of the bible. Isn't that odd and it it based
on issues? Leave my God alone and go away!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
It is simple. Witchcraft, Ganesh, Osiris and Buddha are not invading our laws, workplace, politics and schools and threatening to invade the science class with unscientific superstition presented as an equally valid alternative theory.

I can tell you that we are keeping a nervously wary eye in Islam and countered the Moonies, Krishna -heads and the Transcendental tarradiddle - mongers (1) as and when they threaten to become a nuisance. The same was the case with the Dainiken nonsense and maybe that was a wake -up call to science at the right time. The sentries were alerted, as it were, for when the slurry of Creationist bilge poured through the media.

(1) there ye go: Arq, purveyor of outlandish Britticisms by appointment to Mordant.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:24 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Its an interesting study in a broad spectrum of thought within the atheist community . Some of my friends , neighbors and work associates are either agnostic , atheists or just don't care or know what they are ( la la la land?) They are good people with nice kids mostly , but zero faith or even a position on God. The little girl across the street is 12 and studying witchcraft and has a Homosexual girl friend (whatever). So what's my point? Well my wife and I wonder why Allah , Ganesha , Shiva Shakta, Lord Krishna , and other gods aren't a focus or why they are addressed at all? Then I wonder what will become of them if wrong about the God of the bible. Isn't that odd and it it based
When your Christian Church stops:

1. Evangelizing and Proselytizing and trying to convert us.
2. Trying to make laws conform to your religion.

Then perhaps we will leave *your* god alone.

If we lived in an Islamic Country, then I would most likely be protesting Islam and Allah because the laws would favor that religion, but I live in the US, so Christianity is the main offender in the government arena here.

It is unlikely that the God of your Bible exists given the many contradictions in your Bible. It is also unlikely that any of the other religious gods exist. There is an opening for a *sorta god,* who created the universe and then left it to its own devices, but the odds are still not in favor of that either.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:25 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
It is because the god of Abraham is the one in whom most of our opposition on these boards believe. We fight against the enemy who shows up.

If believers in the Norse gods came here to argue the merits of Odin, then we would be explaining why we don't believe in Odin.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:22 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Its an interesting study in a broad spectrum of thought within the atheist community . Some of my friends , neighbors and work associates are either agnostic , atheists or just don't care or know what they are ( la la la land?) They are good people with nice kids mostly , but zero faith or even a position on God. The little girl across the street is 12 and studying witchcraft and has a Homosexual girl friend (whatever). So what's my point? Well my wife and I wonder why Allah , Ganesha , Shiva Shakta, Lord Krishna , and other gods aren't a focus or why they are addressed at all? Then I wonder what will become of them if
Mike, come on, you seem to be a better thinker than that. A-theists address the god that comes up most often.

Atheists have done a good deal of addressing militant Islam of late, as it has been trying hard to assert itself in the west via terrorism. And then they are accused of "racism". So if we don't address Islam we are picking on Christians and if we do address Islam we are picking on Arabs (nevermind that Arab ethnicity has nothing as such to do with Islam). I wonder what the complaint would be if we addressed Ganesha or perhaps Odin or Thor. Probably for the latter gods that have no real following anymore, that we are trying to equate these discredited and unfollowed gods with your followed and supposedly credible one.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:11 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
'dilute'?

Anyway, the answer to your question is as glaringly obvious as asking:
"Gee, why did Soviet dissidents in the 1970s spend all their time opposing the communist form of government, and not monarchies or theocracies or military juntas?"

When adherents of Shiva start trying to gut biology curricula nationwide, you'll hear from atheists. When Krishna acolytes want to dictate marriage and discrimination laws, you'll hear from atheists. As for Allah - Hello? You've never heard of Richard Dawkins? Christopher Hitchens? Sam Harris?

Here's a clue - the Arabic word for the God of Abraham is 'Allah' (there's a reason that Islam is called one of the Abrahamic religions).

Old 01-07-2015, 01:26 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,676 times
Default Why atheists attempt to dilute the God of Abraham and not pagan gods?

Well much to my surprise the responses to my thread were amazingly intelligent and qualifying to a great degree . I get very frustrated with that which not only dilutes from my God but see every thing from churchless christians to agnostics to atheists to pseudo religion participants ie, football fans , preoccupied zealous hunters, and habitual materialism nuts to mention as few. Why? ( glad you asked! ) As a christian there
have been recent revelations (religion asside dislike "it"not God) whereby the God you believe not is about to unleash His
Judgment ( yes He is judgmental and legalistic) not because He hates you but is ticked off regarding let's just say the stateof
America spiritually . Our departure from God has a price and
many here may have contributed to the collateral damage and
head in 2015-16 but I love you folks anyway ! If your as
smart as I believe you are check out The Harbinger and the
Shemitah and dump religion it's a manufactured bunch of
nonsense ( in fairness some truths).
Let Mark Blitz ( blood moons) Jonathan Cahn The Harbinger
not convert you to a anything just join me in my sacred circle
of wildly interesting warnings!

Old 01-07-2015, 01:32 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Well much to my surprise the responses to my thread were amazingly intelligent and qualifying to a great degree . I get very frustrated with that which not only dilutes from my God but see every thing from churchless christians to agnostics to atheists to pseudo religion participants ie, football fans , preoccupied zealous hunters, and habitual materialism nuts to mention as few. Why? ( glad you asked! ) As a christian there
have been recent revelations (religion asside dislike "it"not God) whereby the God you believe not is about to unleash His
Judgment ( yes He is judgmental and legalistic) not because He hates you but is ticked off regarding let's just say the stateof

Old 01-07-2015, 01:37 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I wonder what the complaint would be if we addressed Ganesha or perhaps Odin or Thor. Probably for the latter gods that have no real following anymore, that we are trying to equate these discredited and unfollowed gods with your followed and supposedly credible one.
Ganesha worship is alive and well. Here is one example. The difference is that they do not think themselves entitled to bother anyone else.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:39 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
I don't see how this can NOT be interpreted as proselytizing, which Administrator has banned in this forum.

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-07-2015 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: The spelling gods are not being kind tto me today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.