Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 PM

13 posts, read 8,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
...go to the Christianity subforum and post challenging-to-hostile thread starters like Christians do here on a regular basis? I admit that I didn't look past the first page of threads on their subforum, but I saw nothing like the (pretty much) daily thread posted by some Christian, basically looking for a fight or, more delusionally, to proselytize and convert us godless heathens.

Do they go to the other religions' subfora and tell them they're wrong as well?

The main forum is the proper place for ridiculous, tendentious arguments.

Or, they can keep coming back here. I think of it as target practice, even though I typically invoke the pig wrestling rule when it comes to arguments on the "merits."
They are not Christians, just delusional people with illiteracy issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 03:26 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I look at them, but I really can't get into the doctrinal trivia.
This is the case for me as well. Nothing puts me to sleep quicker than scripture quoting semantic arguments when there is no objective basis to establish the credibility of such scriptures....let alone how they ought to be interpreted and read in context.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:45 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
This is the case for me as well. Nothing puts me to sleep quicker than scripture quoting semantic arguments when there is no objective basis to establish the credibility of such scriptures....let alone how they ought to be interpreted and read in context.
That's the main limiting factor for me also. The ratio of total posts to the ones I can bring myself to read, much less participate in, is very low. If I were not a former theist myself, it would approach zero.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:03 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That may well be because nearly all atheists ARE agnostics. Belief vs knowledge. Overlapping but not mutually exclusive.

If you aren't willing to identify as not believing in any gods, then you are an agnostic theist. If typical in my experience, you are a theist only about the Christian deity. You simply assign a much lower probability / certainty to it than most Christians would.

Thank you mordant, you have increased my knowledge regarding the commonalities between the categories. Still nice to see the word "Agnostic" appear separately on occasion if for nothing more than visual balance.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:43 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
except for one thing. "not willing to identify as not believing in any gods" makes you an "agnostic theist". That is a made up label, it has no meaning. It is put on to people by other people that think if you are not with us you are against us.

if that notion of all or nothing/black and white is ok with you, then so be it.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I look at them, but I really can't get into the doctrinal trivia. If I notice something that directly relates to atheism/agnosticism, and I think I might be able to shed some light on a question that someone has, I might post, but it's pretty rare.

I don't like it when they try to proselytize me, so I don't try to proselytize them.
Yes, I'm in those subforms either to shed some light on doctrinal trivia that I might have a little knowledge of, educate others about science, or educate against bibliolatry or other wrongness in general. I always tone myself down in those areas, but I'm not ever really in full campaign mode not even in the Agnosticism subforum that we are forced to share with atheists for acceptance/statistical reasons. The general R&S subforum is where I might start a minorly aggressive discussion thread but its usually as a response to the overwhelming ire or ignorance from other people there. I feel like most of the time I'm defending one or a few posters who believes they are part of that particular subforum but some others don't agree or misunderstand them.

I myself come across many agnostic Deists and agnostic Christians.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:35 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
except for one thing. "not willing to identify as not believing in any gods" makes you an "agnostic theist". That is a made up label, it has no meaning. It is put on to people by other people that think if you are not with us you are against us.

if that notion of all or nothing/black and white is ok with you, then so be it.
It's called terminology Arach. And it's no more made up than any other term is made up to describe something, or some general behavior.

And to apply the label agnostic theist is anything but black and white....it is a precisely and purposely nuanced label to describe a generalized position on theism. There is no obligation to accept the label for oneself but it is helpful terminology when conversing about theistic belief/knowledge positions.

For instance, I would describe you as a gnostic deist based on your posts and assertions. You don't need to agree with my description but hiding behind "I defy labels" is just unhelpful self-important arrogance in my view and useless for discussion purposes.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:28 AM

12,192 posts, read 2,960,983 times
I don't recall ever even visiting the christian forum. I know enough to know they've got nothing to say that's new or that would interest me.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I don't recall ever even visiting the christian forum. I know enough to know they've got nothing to say that's new or that would interest me.
Nothing close-minded about that.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:50 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
I go to the Christian site often but seldom post. I do not know any fundamentalists of any religion and can gleem a little understanding on what makes them think the way they do. On the Relgious and Spirutality forum I perhaps post too much but most of it is when evolution or geology is in play.
What I do not do is tell them that their religion is a fairy tale or a lie, I simply do not believe in it and see no reason to do such. I have also gone to the Islam and the Judaial sites and the Islam one is full of bashing and hating of Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism