Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 02:37 PM

12,282 posts, read 2,968,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmTheReckoner View Post
I feel bad mostly for Catholics. It is militant and patronizing.

I feel other Christian denominations feel very satisfied because there are less stipulations and conditions. Believe? You are saved! Must be nice.
I was raised Catholic and believe me we didn't have it nearly as bad as some fundies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 03:03 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendOfAMind View Post
I pity them.

Every religion claims that they are the one true religion. Within each of these religions, each denomination claims that they are the one. The trails of "evidence" to back any claim are so distorted and messy that one cannot make a rational conclusion without being driven to madness first. Believe me, I wasted my time trying.
Certain people make such claims, just like people claim that America is numero uno in the world and not subject to anything or anyone. History tells us different and the present is subject to change, reality is fluid. Good people who practice religion do not use it to oppress, manipulate and exploit others. They do the exact opposite.

Quote:
When you've got something that has no basis in reality, you will never find an answer.
Religion has a basis in reality. It's a creation of the mind of people who are questioning the world around them, trying to understand. We have been doing this for millions of years and we aren't going to stop soon.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:32 PM

22,181 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh, I don't feel sorry for them, either...the religion they were drawn to is perfect for their stage
of spiritual development.
When they are ready (as I was) to move on to something else, they will...all in good time...we drink mother's milk...then applesauce...then, veggies and meat.
First, Kindergarten....before college. It's all good.

They may resent I'm saying this but, we are always progressing and changing and learning.
Dogma, concepts, ceremonies are limiting to the soul...separates us from so much placing ideas of the Infinite in a box, that's all. Oh well.
and perhaps one day you will stop looking down on others.
when you are ready. to let go of arrogance and superiority.
and move on to something else.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

What gall!!

Old 07-17-2018, 12:54 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Mirror mirror on the wall...

Old 07-17-2018, 01:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

"Certain people" (you know who she is) put me in mind of a famous Robbie Burns line: "O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!"

Certain people are in dire need of that gift.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:58 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
I have great empathy for children caught up in overzealous religious belief systems.

As for adults? I hold them responsible and accountable for any an all beliefs that deny their brothers and sisters their civil rights. I hold them accountable for the terrible treatment they believe women deserve.

I have no animus, however such beliefs need to be guarded against and corrected.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:47 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
and move on to something else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
What gall!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
"Certain people" (you know who she is) put me in mind of a famous Robbie Burns line: "O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!"

Certain people are in dire need of that gift.
Of all the stuff I've ever read on the R&S forum, nothing ever made me gasp out loud, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????" like that one did.

Wow.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Sure, we stay stuck a lot...I happen to be a very slow learner..but eventually (but see, I know we have more lives) we do learn.
Ya know that ole saying," God loves us too much to keep us the way we are" ?
Well, even if someone doesn't believe in God....that's cool...it seems to simply be the Nature of the Universe....things change...even rocks over centuries.
They don't call this earth plane 'dense' for no reason.
So, me? My take is, I don't see a problem or anything sad...I guess I'm lookin' at the looooong haul.
Hahaha, but the problem is that the human lifespan doesn't HAVE a few centuries to change!

Of course, if like some of us you muse there might be something to rebirth of a soul in another form, then that would all make sense.

Back to topic, I do sometimes feel bad for people who are trapped in a dungeon of fear and don't know it. That's often what religion is based on.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:31 AM

179 posts, read 83,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
When a person becomes an atheist or agnostic it's like the blinds have been uncovered from their eyes. No more going to church every Sunday to worship that same deity who apparently can't be worshiped enough. No more fear of going to hell because you decide to masturbate or have sex before marriage. No more unanswered prayers. No more wondering why God permits so much evil. No more trying to read, interpret, and analyze the fairy-tales within the bible. No more extra strict set of rules you have to abide by.

It's like a huge weight lifted off your shoulders.

Yet here we have billions of people who still practice 1 of the 4,200 different religions in the world. They're wasting years of their life practicing man made religion. The time, money, and resources devoted to a cause that won't make a difference at the conclusion of your life is staggering. How sorry do you feel for them? The vast majority of them were religiously childhood indoctrinated by their own parents and simply aren't brave enough to see the fallacies of religion that would shake their foundation. If they were born in Afghanistan they would be Muslim. If they were born in Cambodia they would be Buddhist.

I have friends who are Christians, very successful and intelligent productive members of society. But they simply can't be bothered to question all the holes religious has and are committed to a lifelong commitment of unnecessary things because they can't cope with human mortality.

It's sad state of affairs and I can't help but feel sorry for them.
Funny, I can do the same to atheism. But whatever its worth, don't feel worry for me. I accept the terms of salvation and if I go to hell then glory be to God! For anyone sent to hell deserves to be there. So I'm not concerned about what rules I can break or how I want to embraced moral relativism so I can live conscience free. I have accepted the Biblical testimony and am fine with all the conditions of salvation. Nothing bothers me about my faith and I, unlike the atheist, actually study my faith from a much deeper level than any atheist who ever lived. As for going to church in the morning, yeah, 9am is an early service which is why its being moved up to 10:30am. People in today's busy world work hard during the week and need to get some rest on their days off. But I've gone to church dead tired the last two weeks which I didn't like to do but still did it because that's where I want to be. I go to church because I want to worship there. So you atheists make a big deal out of nothing.

If I am wrong then I will never know. But if you, the atheist is wrong, you lose your lose in hell for an eternity and you have nobody to blame for that but yourself. You are the one who wanted to dull your conscience so you could feel better about sinning. So if you wake up in hell after you die in this life you will be very disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism