Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 04:57 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times

Advertisements

It's too bad that so many atheists can't get past the particular deity of a single book written by ancient primates. That's the only one that they seem to care about or ever talk about.

They think they can avoid the truth by spending all their time focusing on one deity in that one ancient book. Using the same old arguments ad nauseum, day in and day out, about things that even that deity's follower probably don't care about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's too bad that so many atheists can't get past the particular deity of a single book written by ancient primates. That's the only one that they seem to care about or ever talk about.

They think they can avoid the truth by spending all their time focusing on one deity in that one ancient book. Using the same old arguments ad nauseum, day in and day out, about things that even that deity's follower probably don't care about.
I notice that you employ "atheists think" and "they believe"....collective rather than specific references as your strawmen. No one here is arguing the things that you are assigning to this imaginary collective.

Atheists have in common only one thing with certainty....we do not embrace a belief in a deity. Beyond that we are individuals and as such, resist the idea that we have a common cannon among us.

As an individual, speaking for myself and no one else, I am an equal opportunity atheist, show me a god and I won't believe in it whether it is the Christian god, the Islamic god, Yahweh, Buddha or Crom. In that the vast majority of deists who show up here are of the Christian persuasion, arguing against the specifics of the Christian belief would naturally consume the majority of the atheist's time here. That may help create the false impression you are trying to spread.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

1. First, thank you for admitting that the bible was written by ancient primates. That certainly lends credence to the bible's validity.

2. We atheists tend to talk about the bible and christianity because of our and your context in life. We live in a nation that is predominantly christian. We and your ilk don't often discuss Hinduism or Buddhism or any real understanding of Islam. But you're certainly welcome to lead the way. It's like when I visited and lived in Thailand, almost nobody discussed christianity due to the context of the culture.

3. We use the same old arguments because we don't need new arguments to discredit a book written by your ancient primates.

4. Things your followers don't care about...and you care so little about those things that you are here discussing those things day after day after day.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:51 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:

They think they can avoid the truth by spending all their time focusing on one deity in that one ancient book.
Or we do not believe in any gods, but most of us live in countries where the Abrahamic religions cause most trouble.

Quote:
Using the same old arguments ad nauseum, day in and day out, about things that even that deity's follower probably don't care about.
Logic does not change from day to day.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
2. We atheists tend to talk about the bible and christianity because of our and your context in life. We live in a nation that is predominantly christian. We and your ilk don't often discuss Hinduism or Buddhism or any real understanding of Islam. But you're certainly welcome to lead the way. It's like when I visited and lived in Thailand, almost nobody discussed christianity due to the context of the culture.
That sounds like an attempt to turn the focus towards another ancient book, just to ignore the main topic. The original point was made by someone I disagree with (fundamentalist Christian) for the most part, but it was a valid point. It had nothing to do with the Bible and everything to do with logic.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:27 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
That sounds like an attempt to turn the focus towards another ancient book, just to ignore the main topic. The original point was made by someone I disagree with (fundamentalist Christian) for the most part, but it was a valid point. It had nothing to do with the Bible and everything to do with logic.
When another religion becomes dominate in the society in which I live I will turn my focus in that direction. So the next time someone tells us that we cannot be moral without God and the Bible, that our laws come from the Bible and we live in a Christian nation our response should be to show how Zeus is not real?

In non posts on CD has a reason for not being an atheist came across as logical, including any of yours. When the Hindu or American native religious folks insist that their creation myths are science and should be taught in public school science classes as equal to the current scientific theories of evolution and the creation of the universe I will take note and react.

I do know that when I cut my arm I take the time to attend to the bleeding without the least attention to the cures for cancer or MS. No need on attacking the Fundamentalists of Islam or Judaism as they have little input into national society.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:

Maybe we use the same old arguments in order to counter the same old arguments that get thrown at us day in and day out? Just a thought.

If you want to hear an imaginative response from us, first study the forum to see which arguments are advanced against atheism, then try to think of a novel argument against atheism that we haven't seen yet. Personally, I bet you can't do that.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
When another religion becomes dominate in the society in which I live I will turn my focus in that direction. So the next time someone tells us that we cannot be moral without God and the Bible, that our laws come from the Bible and we live in a Christian nation our response should be to show how Zeus is not real?

In non posts on CD has a reason for not being an atheist came across as logical, including any of yours. When the Hindu or American native religious folks insist that their creation myths are science and should be taught in public school science classes as equal to the current scientific theories of evolution and the creation of the universe I will take note and react.

I do know that when I cut my arm I take the time to attend to the bleeding without the least attention to the cures for cancer or MS. No need on attacking the Fundamentalists of Islam or Judaism as they have little input into national society.
Brilliantly put! 'Too soon' etc

Old 06-19-2018, 11:20 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
It might be noted that the majority of we atheist forum participants are English speakers born into Christian households in nations where Christianity has been the dominant religion. Those of us who became offended by the propaganda were offended by Christian propaganda. If some of us hold grudges, they aren't grudges against Islam or Apollo.

I was forced to attend catholic schools through high school and my feeling is that the church still owes me for all of my time that they wasted teaching me not just a false doctrine, but a false way to think. I have no such complaint against Thor.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It might be noted that the majority of we atheist forum participants are English speakers born into Christian households in nations where Christianity has been the dominant religion. Those of us who became offended by the propaganda were offended by Christian propaganda. If some of us hold grudges, they aren't grudges against Islam or Apollo.

I was forced to attend catholic schools through high school and my feeling is that the church still owes me for all of my time that they wasted teaching me not just a false doctrine, but a false way to think. I have no such complaint against Thor.
Religion is an organic part of nature. Why would you expect people to act any differently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism